Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Intelligence - Malleable or Not? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I would like to start a discussion here on TSR about intelligence as it has really affected my life in the past few months.
    I would like people to comment giving their views about it: if it is 'malleable' or not and to what extent it is 'malleable'. Also, if relevant to you, could you post if you have done/ experienced anything that has increased your intelligence.
    First thing I'd like to bring up is that recently, some people have studied intelligence and found that fluid intelligence could be improved and intelligence is 40-80% genetic, not fully genetic. But I would like to know: If it can be increased, then to what extent? Can it get you from mostly achieving A's to getting all round A*s?

ReputationRep:
    I found that joining TSR rapidly increased my intelligence... :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SolitaryRS)
    I would like to start a discussion here on TSR about intelligence as it has really affected my life in the past few months.
    I would like people to comment giving their views about it: if it is 'malleable' or not and to what extent it is 'malleable'. Also, if relevant to you, could you post if you have done/ experienced anything that has increased your intelligence.
    First thing I'd like to bring up is that recently, some people have studied intelligence and found that fluid intelligence could be improved and intelligence is 40-80% genetic, not fully genetic. But I would like to know: If it can be increased, then to what extent? Can it get you from mostly achieving A's to getting all round A*s?
    Whether or not your actual intelligence can be increased, your knowledge can definitely increase. If you keep studying something and find more effective ways to study it, you'll begin to understand it more, so yeah you could achieve an A* when previously achieving an A.

ReputationRep:
    But I would like to know: If it can be increased, then to what extent? Can it get you from mostly achieving A's to getting all round A*s?
    Hard work is much more likely to do that anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say people who read from an early age are more intelligent generally

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamHedges)
    I'd say people who read from an early age are more intelligent generally
    Agreed. My parents encouraged me to read and write from and early age; I'd like to think that I'm somewhat intelligent now...

ReputationRep:
    It is when you're young. Perhaps because children have a larger capacity for neuroplasticity.

ReputationRep:
    It is definitely possible to increase the capacity of your brain. Feeding yourself with information can stretch your breadth of knowledge, you can increase your common sense but everyone has different levels they need to push their brain to get to "new levels"

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone here ever heard of tDCS (Trans cranial Direct Current Stimulation)? It seems to be one of the more promising methods for cognitive enhancement.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transcranial_direct-current_stimulation#Effects_on_b rain

http://www.reddit.com/r/tDCS/

Aside from that, mindfulness meditation and regular cardiovascular exercise have been shown to cultivate small improvements in brain performance.

ReputationRep:
    I think anyone can be born intelligence, and its obvious when someone has a natural ability to grasp concepts (more obvious in science subjects than humanities) and apply them. Though, I think this the more defining factor when you're young, I think what defines intelligence when you're older e.g (end of) high school and college is determination or exploiting whatever intelligence you have. So yeah, natural intelligence is malleable, but to succeed with intelligence takes different qualities I think.

ReputationRep:
    I thought the traditional wisdom was that you're born with a genetic potential intelligence and the environment determines how close to that you get. Not sure on the evidence for that, though.

ReputationRep:
    I think classic intelligence can be but more over your ability to perform in assessments of intelligence can be improved through hard work. Perhaps true intelligence is this, the ability to work out how to best work/apply yourself in order to maximise achievement in a given activity.

ReputationRep:
    Sort of.
    What can affect intelligence is the amount of stimulus a very young child receives, and what truly dictates performance is having a mature work ethic. I have seen people of average intelligence achieve good results simply because they were far more focused than those who were more intelligent than them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by proud nd luvin it)
    I found that joining TSR rapidly increased my intelligence... :teehee:
    it rapidly increased my sense of my own intelligence. ;-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cambio wechsel)
    it rapidly increased my sense of my own intelligence. ;-)
    Precisely!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.