Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've read that you shouldn't quote, you should paraphrase. Can anyone explain what this is and how to do it? Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Paraphrasing is where you repeat the sentiment of what the original person said, but without quoting directly.

For example:

I could paraphrase the quote: "Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value" (by Albert Einstein) to: "Einstein said values are more important than success."

ReputationRep:
    ^What he said.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmorEmPaz)
    I've read that you shouldn't quote, you should paraphrase. Can anyone explain what this is and how to do it? Thank you
    explaining something in your own words

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jelly1000)
    explaining something in your own words
    If the text says: "Most medieval literature derives in one way or another from the Church; works were either written by clerics or by authors who had received their education from the Clergy"

Could I say: "A great deal of medieval literature in general, not just Portuguese, stems from the Church; whether it be that the works were penned by clerics or by authors that had been educated by members of the Clergy"

or is that too close?

ReputationRep:
    If the text says: "Most medieval literature derives in one way or another from the Church; works were either written by clerics or by authors who had received their education from the Clergy"

Could I say: "A great deal of medieval literature in general, not just Portuguese, stems from the Church; whether it be that the works were penned by clerics or by authors that had been educated by members of the Clergy"

or is that too close?
    It reads a little contrived tbh, especially the use of "penned"

perhaps something like

Author says that most medieval literature, not just Portuguese, stems from the Church. He suggests that texts were mainly written by clerics or by students of clerics.

When paraphrasing it is usual to name the person/text that you are paraphrasing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TenOfThem)

perhaps something like

Author says that most medieval literature, not just Portuguese, stems from the Church. He suggests that texts were mainly written by clerics or by students of clerics.

This. You have to say what you're paraphrasing, otherwise it just sounds like your own opinion, which defeats to purpose :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Qwertish)
    This. You have to say what you're paraphrasing, otherwise it just sounds like your own opinion, which defeats to purpose :P
    Ok thanks is it ok to quote and paraphrase within one essay?

ReputationRep:
    Why wouldn't it be?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah.

I think quotes are supposed to be used when they succinctly make a point, otherwise stick to paraphrasing.

Make sure to reference both.

ReputationRep:

or is that too close?
    That's too close. Inserting a couple of words into a sentence won't fool the plagiarism detector.

ReputationRep:

or is that too close?
    it appears other people have got there first, also that sentence is a bit long.

ReputationRep:

perhaps something like

i rarely do in the pharaphrasing bit, i just reference who it was and i get good marks generally

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jelly1000)
    i rarely do in the pharaphrasing bit, i just reference who it was and i get good marks generally
    So how do you indicate that they are the thoughts of others

ReputationRep:
    So how do you indicate that they are the thoughts of others
    i only tend to paraphrase someone elses point of view if im countering their point in which case yes i put the name in the essay. however most of the time when im paraphrasing im pharaphrasing evidence to support my point so i use in text referencing or footnotes for example e.g. on an essay in Northern Ireland I put in my evidence for a point that Catholics were routinely treated as second class citizens and denied a political voice (McGarry and O'Leary)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.