Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Right I'm scared of stuff like spiders.

How comes people do these things like holding a spider to get rid of the fear?

What I don't get is how holding a tarantula in my hand would help me in any way. I would probably drop it on the floor and run away, then be scared for evermore that it was angry at me and is searching me aout to harm me one day.

Any thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by woody)

What I don't get is how holding a tarantula in my hand would help me in any way. I would probably drop it on the floor and run away, then be scared for evermore that it was angry at me and is searching me aout to harm me one day.

Any thoughts?
    It's a tried and tested technique called 'flooding'. Basically if you can hold a massive hairy horrible tarantula a teeny weeny house spider won't bother you anymore at all! With some other techniques you start off looking at pics of small spiders and build it up really gradually. But that takes ages so flooding is often preferred. Don't be scared of spids, if they do anything to you just stamp on them!!

PS - sorry to ruin the love songs thread yesterday.

ReputationRep:
    Oh just realised I got a reply!

Its all right i'm not bitter about the love songs thread!!

I would squash a spider happily if I wasn't paralysed to the spot when I saw it, or am too worried that it will run away if i miss!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by woody)

Any thoughts?
    Well, if you stay with the spider for a while, you will see that it won't harm you, and there is nothing to fear from it.
    People with phobias are generally scared about what will happen if they make contact with the target of their phobia.
    By remaining with the spider, and seeing that it will cause no harm, it shows the phobic that there isn't anything to fear from them.

ReputationRep:
    mmmmmm,

But i've been with spiders before, one sat on my living room wall for a week cos my dad wouldn't get rid of it. However I'm still scared.

I've also been taken to the scary spider bit of Chessington but that didn't work.

I know they won't hurt me really but I'm still scared, I know there alot smaller than me, nd I know that there more scaredof me than I am of them as people always say. But nothings going to stop me being scared!

ReputationRep:
    I'm scared of bog standard things like spiders, heights, rats, clowns.Then some really weird ones:
    Pylons,
    Bumper cars,
    cutlery,
    sporks (the transexual of cutlery),
    mushrooms (to the point if i am in the room with one I scream)

ReputationRep:
    I have a strange one,

I panic loads cos I think someones going to walk in the room with a gun and shot me. Scary I know!

ReputationRep:
    The pylons was that advert from the 80's where the pylons started walking and it scared me to the point where I'd howl if we even went near one. Luckily I now live in Sussex where there aren't any but as soon as I go to Hants I piss my pants

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by woody)
    mmmmmm,

But i've been with spiders before, one sat on my living room wall for a week cos my dad wouldn't get rid of it. However I'm still scared.

I've also been taken to the scary spider bit of Chessington but that didn't work.

I know they won't hurt me really but I'm still scared, I know there alot smaller than me, nd I know that there more scaredof me than I am of them as people always say. But nothings going to stop me being scared!
    Yes, but you weren't in close proximity to it, it wasn't making physical contact.
    It usually takes the physical contact to dispel the phobia.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by woody)
    I know the feeling! My fear of spiders has got worse since I went on holiday last year... my sis and I stayed in this lovely room with loads of Oak beams going across the ceiling. At least, lovely in the day time. At night, all the spiders would come out, and we're talking HUGE country spiders, and hundreds of them. I was just so terrified that I had to go and sleep somewhere else

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iluvatar)
    Yes, but you weren't in close proximity to it, it wasn't making physical contact.
    I can kind of see how it would work for those kinds of phobias, but what about a fear of inclosed spaces, being trapped, ect...?

ReputationRep:
    Maybe try hypnotism. It's supposed to be really effective for this kind of thing. Not sure if it gets rid of the phobia completely but gradually alters the way you think about and react to whatever it is that you're scared of.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iluvatar)
    My Mum has an incredibly strong phobia of foam (the padding type foam) and will completely flip out if she touches it, or even if I touch it near her, or make it make a sound by touching it when she's there. It's an amusingly strong (and ridiculous) fear/hatred.

I also had a friend who was afraid of fake trees/jungles. An odd fear.

(Original post by Danithestudent)
    The pylons was that advert from the 80's where the pylons started walking and it scared me to the point where I'd howl if we even went near one. Luckily I now live in Sussex where there aren't any but as soon as I go to Hants I piss my pants
    There's a book by Dianna Wynne Jones I believe, that also have walking pylons. Perhaps one inspired the other.
    Why are there no pylons in Sussex though?

ReputationRep:
    I'm severely afraid, to the point of uncontrollable shaking and even throwing up, of local anasthetic. Just thinking about it makes me shake.
    Also quite frightened of being tied up - merinthophoba.

ReputationRep:
    i admit i am afraid of spiders

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amb1)
    Maybe try hypnotism. It's supposed to be really effective for this kind of thing. Not sure if it gets rid of the phobia completely but gradually alters the way you think about and react to whatever it is that you're scared of.
    hypnotism does actually work. my mum does it, and recently she had a patient who was claustrophobic, (i accidentally read the script she was using, she wouldn't tell us other wise) and the guy does actually feel a bit better, and everytime he starts feeling a bit scared again, he comes back, but gradually its getting better.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 12, 2004
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.