Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

arrrgh reverse round corner Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I cant get this it - i either get the angle wrong, turn in too far from the kerb, go in too fast, judge the time to turn wrong.

I've started practicing reversing onto my driveway as my house in on the left and its a 90 degree turn - but even then i overshoot at times, go in at the wrong angle (ive driven onto my lawn whilst turning) and basically balls it up

but can anyone give me any pointers please?

Everything else is fine (cept parking) but this i just cant get.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silverbolt)
    I cant get this it - i either get the angle wrong, turn in too far from the kerb, go in too fast, judge the time to turn wrong.

I've started practicing reversing onto my driveway as my house in on the left and its a 90 degree turn - but even then i overshoot at times, go in at the wrong angle (ive driven onto my lawn whilst turning) and basically balls it up

but can anyone give me any pointers please?

Everything else is fine (cept parking) but this i just cant get.
    Believe me I know the feeling atthe start of my lessons I was fcked because I kept hitting the kerb but as time progressed it gets easier. I've had 44 lessons and find it difficult at times but the main part is to believe in yourself. I use to go "ugh not this maneuver" when my instructor told me to reverse around a corner but now I have my head up ready to do it. The main thing I do is if it's a small tight corner then one full turn to the left, if it's a wide corner use half a turn and add more if needed. Make sure you can see the kerb in the left mirror if you can't then add more turn to the left.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    This sounds more like an adapted bay park than a reverse around the corner, meaning you'd have to go full lock on the steering wheel when you're the correct distance away from your drive.

ReputationRep:
    Clutch control to make your car as slow as possible, took me a few trys to actually be able to control my speed, but take your time. If you get it on test my instructor told me, 'its your test, take as much time as you need'

I was told to start turning in when the last straight edge has gone, i usually put 3 quarters turn on, although it should depend on the type of corner you are doing i adjust anyways. Then just go as slow as possible, checking out the back and your left mirror, i the just adjust, if it looks like im going to wide I'll add a bit more steering, then take a bit off, i usually take a little too much off so have to put more, i just add/take steering away as im going round, as long as you're slow enough it should work out okay.

Its a hard one to explain, do you have your mirrors tilted down when doing it? i find it gives you a better view of the curb, and as long as you adjust it back after you have set off you'll be fine. I suppose just practice which I'm sure your doing, have you mentioned it to your instructor? see if they can try anything else with you in relation to it? Maybe they should demonstrate it with you outside the car while your instructor talks you through what hes doing. I've herd that as a suggestion before for left reverse

ReputationRep:
    Try to practice with an assortment of corners. Basically align it up and make for your imagination markers for each because each corner is individual. Generally if it is a left corner, turn the wheel three quarters to the left. Go back a little more - if the car's nose is pointed abnormally to one side steer into it. Remember to use observations. When close enough straighten up to the right.

Hope that helps a little.. are you guys still allowed to go out driving by yourself in Ireland?

Edit: It would appear I am behind on times, that stopped in 2007! :/

ReputationRep:
    This used to be my worst maneuver and it still is. I took me over 40 lessons to click with it and even then I still struggle with it. If its a sharp corner, treat it like the bay park with a full lock.

If its a sweeping corner, then use half a turn and adjust as needed. Important thing is to follow what your brain says, sometimes I hesitate when what I was originally thinking was right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Coffeegirl)
    This used to be my worst maneuver and it still is. I took me over 40 lessons to click with it and even then I still struggle with it. If its a sharp corner, treat it like the bay park with a full lock.

If its a sweeping corner, then use half a turn and adjust as needed. Important thing is to follow what your brain says, sometimes I hesitate when what I was originally thinking was right.
    My corner was a sweeping corner which turned into a very sharp corner and was uphill.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WildeAboutOscar)
    My corner was a sweeping corner which turned into a very sharp corner and was uphill.
    There is a corner like that on our test routes which my instructor has taken me to a few times to practise ...its a sweeping corner which is rather sharps and requires just above 1 whole turn.

again with the corner you mention, if you can see that it is sharp..put a whole turn on...if not sure, then half a turn and more as needed

ReputationRep:
    I hated reversing around corners, I never got it perfect and then it ended up being in my test.
    Just try and relax and don't overthink it! Keep an eye in your mirrors and you can pull forward and adjust yourself if you need to

ReputationRep:
    I'm surprised that instructors don't tell people to use their mirrors for this manoeuvre. Park up at the start of the corner as you would, then adjust your left mirror down as far as it will go and you will be able to see the curb and the edge of the car.

Now just reverse slowly and turn the wheel as needed- if the gap between the car and the curb increases, turn the wheel left a bit more. If it gets smaller then turn right a bit more. It's a million times simpler doing it this way than trying to guess.

And yes, you can do it on the test. I did it and didn't get a minor or anything for doing it. You don't actually need the left mirror for this manoeuvre because you're doing your 'full observation' as you reverse.

Just remember to keep looking around you and not keep your focus on the mirror.

It makes me laugh when people say 'One full turn left for a smooth corner, and two full turns for a sharp corner' etc... The mirror way is much simpler!

(Original post by silverbolt)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Runninground)
    I'm surprised that instructors don't tell people to use their mirrors for this manoeuvre. Park up at the start of the corner as you would, then adjust your left mirror down as far as it will go and you will be able to see the curb and the edge of the car.
    My instructor uses something similar on her car. She has an extra mirror which is mounted ontop of the exterior mirrors which allows me to see roughly where the tyres meet the road, and generally gives me a much clearer view of the road.

I guess the reason you're not allowed to adjust your exterior mirror to face downwards is because you will be ristricting your view of what is behind you on that side, and you won't be able to use that mirror for its intended purpose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adamwigan)
    My instructor uses something similar on her car. She has an extra mirror which is mounted ontop of the exterior mirrors which allows me to see roughly where the tyres meet the road, and generally gives me a much clearer view of the road.

I guess the reason you're not allowed to adjust your exterior mirror to face downwards is because you will be ristricting your view of what is behind you on that side, and you won't be able to use that mirror for its intended purpose.
    No you are allowed to do it. Because you have to keep looking around you can still see what you would see in that mirror.

ReputationRep:
    Just have a drink or two, relax and try it again!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Runninground)
    No you are allowed to do it. Because you have to keep looking around you can still see what you would see in that mirror.
    Really? I asummed that as you are ristricting your field of view behind you then you wouldn't be allowed to do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adamwigan)
    Really? I asummed that as you are ristricting your field of view behind you then you wouldn't be allowed to do it.
    Because you have to keep looking around as you are reversing (You have to look out of the back window, then look around the car to the right blind spot) you don't actually need the mirrors.

In my test I shifted the mirror down, then reversed around the corner, then moved it back up again and the examiner was fine with it

ReputationRep:
    Do you have blind spot mirrors? I swear these are a huge help for reversing! It helps you to see the pavement and your wheel so you know if you are steering too early or if you are making any mistakes. My old instructor didn't have them but my new instructor does and my reversing has improved so much.

ReputationRep:
    i managed to do reverse onto my drive earlier,

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.