Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    can't believe i failed my second test today !!!! traffic light filter didn't come on for right turn, lights turned red. when lights turned green filter came on and off i went. I didn't think i'd failed since there was no on behind me and filter didn't come on. Other than the stupid filter it was ok even pulled off a tricky reverse around a corner which was on a bend on a hill !! :eek: has anyone else ever failed for something similar :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I failed my first test for something similar. One of the roundabouts near where I live has part-time traffic signals on it, so sometimes the traffic lights are on and sometimes they're not. On the day of my test it was bright but there was quite a lot of water on the road so there was quite a bit of a glare, so I couldn't see that the traffic lights were on, and so approached the roundabout as a normal roundabout rather than one with traffic lights. I went through it all perfectly safely, slowing down etc as you'd expect, but it got put down as a serious fault. In the end I got another serious anyway so it didn't really matter, but it still rankled. :mad:

ReputationRep:
    whats a traffic light filter?

ReputationRep:
    a filter is a green arrow which usually comes on to tell you to turn left or right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MutantGecko)
    whats a traffic light filter?
    Name:  traffic-light.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  18.8 KB

The arrow is usually in a filter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KJKA)
    Name:  traffic-light.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  18.8 KB

The arrow is usually in a filter.
    ahh right thanks, i passed my test over 2 years ago and never knew they were called filters.

ReputationRep:
    Well that is pretty much bad luck I guess... at least you won't make the same mistake next time!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by collegestudent19)
    can't believe i failed my second test today !!!! traffic light filter didn't come on for right turn, lights turned red. when lights turned green filter came on and off i went. I didn't think i'd failed
    You'd be surprised at how many learner drivers are not taught how filter signals actually work.

Whilst a green arrow gives you exclusive priority when turning in the shown direction, many assume that you have to sit there like a lemon when it is not lit. This is incorrect. Like any junction without a filter, judgement has to be used.

When the way is clear, you must not sit there blocking the junction while waiting for a green arrow that may never appear. If you're committed past the stop line, you must clear the junction as soon as you possibly can. When there is no oncoming traffic, it's common sense that you can get out of there so you're not in the way if the lights change.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.