Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I am moving to the UK (specifically the Somerset area) from the U.S. in March, and I am starting school at the start of the 5th term. I will be in year 10 and so found myself in the predicament of choosing GCSE's. This is a luxury we students in the states do not have. The four extra GCSE's that I chose were: Music, Geography, History, and for the "Enrichment" option, Classical Civilisation. My question is what the heck do I need to do in order to prepare for those. The next part of my question pertains to the required bit. I have yet to understand what double science is. and explanation would be nice. All I know is that at the moment I need to be reading Biology and Chemistry textbooks. Further, what is year 10 maths? Specifically, what are they learning at the basic level? From there I can build an understanding of where I am. Thank you very much for your time.

ReputationRep:
    Double science is basically double award. You get a GCSE for each unit you take, not science. In double award science you get a grade for C1 (Unit 1 chemistry), B1 and P1 exams altogether and another grade for C2, B2 and P2. So your final grade for double science could be something like AB - you also have an ISA to account for in each unit which is basically assessed practical work.

As for how to prepare for these? Find out what exam board you're under and don't bother buying the textbooks, they're lengthy and too chunky. The revision guides are much more efficient, inexpensive considering the benefit, have questions and answers and are vaguely interesting (as far as revision goes). I recommend the AQA revision guides if that's the exam board or a company called CGP (however, they mainly base theirs on the AQA syllabus, I'm not really sure about revision guides for the other exam boards).

For geography, if you're taking AQA geography, I have a CGP pack for that and it's SO good! It's got everything I need and even notes on what I was supposed to do for the coursework!

I hope this was vaguely helpful!

Edit: About the revision guides, it's probably best not to buy the separate science ones (assuming you take AQA) as you'll only need core and additional (unit 1 and 2 - unit 3 is separate science). Here they are on Amazon along with the geography CGP pack if you want to see what they're like...

Core science revision guide - http://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Science-...7326708&sr=8-4

Additional science revision guide - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Science-GCSE...7326708&sr=8-8

Geography CGP pack - http://www.amazon.co.uk/GCSE-Geograp...7326774&sr=1-1

Please note: Only consider buying the science revision guides that I've put on here if you are sitting under the AQA board (you could have Edexcel or OCR).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amanysky)
    So I am moving to the UK (specifically the Somerset area) from the U.S. in March, and I am starting school at the start of the 5th term. I will be in year 10 and so found myself in the predicament of choosing GCSE's. This is a luxury we students in the states do not have. The four extra GCSE's that I chose were: Music, Geography, History, and for the "Enrichment" option, Classical Civilisation. My question is what the heck do I need to do in order to prepare for those. The next part of my question pertains to the required bit. I have yet to understand what double science is. and explanation would be nice. All I know is that at the moment I need to be reading Biology and Chemistry textbooks. Further, what is year 10 maths? Specifically, what are they learning at the basic level? From there I can build an understanding of where I am. Thank you very much for your time.

So, first you'll need to find out which Exam Board your school is using. There are four main ones: AQA, Edexcel, OCR and WJEC. Once you know which board your school is using, you can go on their website, and look through the GCSE Specification for your subject. That'll be a list of everything in the course, and will probably be what your teachers are using as the basis for their teaching course.

Pabblethefish explained Double Science, and I didn't do that (I did all three separately), so I won't go into that .

And I would also recommend the CGP books. They're excellent. As for other textbooks, you'll probably be fine with the ones your school gives you, but if you want more, the relevant Exam Board usually recommends a few on their website.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.