Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    What are your views on euthanasia? Please also include your reasons.

ReputationRep:
    I think it should be legalised, perhaps even offered in the UK. I think it should be limited to those with sufficiently debilitating illnesses, but I have no idea how they would define that level of disease. Ideally, legal documentation should be set up early in ones life to plan for such things (if it were allowed) and there would have to be sufficient legal and medical evaluations to ensure there are no scams going on or legitimate reasons why they should not be euthanised.

It gets really tricky when you evaluate a patient though... Perhaps they are suffering from debilitating depression, but depression is probably one of the health checks they go through to make sure you're mentally stable (though I have no doubt in my mind that anyone needing euthanasia is pretty damn depressed as is).

Why do I think we should allow it? My greatest reason is simply "because I would want it to be available to me". Why? Well, my grandmother died while suffering from Alzheimer's and those sorts of dementia type diseases. Unless something similar happens to your family or friends, I don't think anyone can fully appreciate that sometimes you're really thankful for death - Because each day alive is a living hell for them. I'm not sure if she would've accepted euthanasia if it had been offered, but the prior 5-8 years or so of her life really weren't spent "living". As far as I am concerned, there is a stage in chronic diseases where, once passed, you're really not living, just inhabiting a body which is alive. You might as well just be allowed to follow that course to the end and die with a little more dignity.

I also think we should be able to control what happens to our bodies, and we should recognise that deliberate death is probably a much nicer way to die than to live through a painful illness. I mean, we're allowed to have abortions, which prevents the start of life... But we cannot control the end of a life?

On the other side of things, I suppose "hope" and medical research are really the things which would make anyone think "what if?" of pursuing euthanasia... Maybe the day you have your assisted suicide they come up with massive discoveries which could cure you? Or maybe if you'd just waited a year longer your body could've repaired itself.

Personally? I couldn't see myself just waiting in hope. If I were that ill that euthanasia were a possibility, I'd rather have that than carry on just waiting for a cure.

ReputationRep:
    The fact that you can put a dog to sleep to end its suffering is acknowledged as the right thing to do, and yet when a person, a human being faces a future of pain, emotional and mental torture and incapacity through disease and terminal illness they are not allowed to bow out gracefully. Forced by society to continue existing, suffering beyond comprehension against their wishes. Its time to start bringing some dignity back to death, we cannot escape it, for some it comes sooner than for others. We can however control that journey, do it the way people want it to happen, have some humanity and compassion for the wishes of the dying. Life is cheap when it comes to war, we will hardly bat an eyelid at the news of more bombing in afghanistan, and yet we preserve life here beyond the wishes and dignity of our own people, purely for the sake of saying they are alive.

ReputationRep:
    I'm of the opinion that if you want to die, no one should have the right to force you to stay alive. It's a breach of your freedom. That applies to suicide too.

ReputationRep:
    The whole premise that your hand is forced to stay alive no matter the pain is wrong. Euthanasia should be legalized, however the framework behind it should be thought out carefully. I don't think it's a matter of 'Oh it's legalized.'
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    Thanks to all who commented as I am doing this in my R.E class

ReputationRep:
    I can see the rationale behind suicide (assisted or otherwise) being something that the state wants to prevent - because it's an irreversible decision, and you can never be sure that a person suffering from intense depression or pain etc. is of a sound enough mind to make those sorts of decisions. There's always the possibility that if they remain alive there's a chance that they will think "I don't want to die anymore, good thing I didn't commit suicide earlier".

On the other hand, there doesn't seem to be much point in it being illegal, if a person who wants to die can easily just go over to Switzerland and get it done. We might as well save them a lot of hassle by just letting them do it here.

ReputationRep:
    Every person should be in control of their own lives. When they are unable to make such decisions, the onus should fall to parents/guardians/close family members. Not the state.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SillyEddy)
    I think it should be legalised, perhaps even offered in the UK. I think it should be limited to those with sufficiently debilitating illnesses, but I have no idea how they would define that level of disease. Ideally, legal documentation should be set up early in ones life to plan for such things (if it were allowed) and there would have to be sufficient legal and medical evaluations to ensure there are no scams going on or legitimate reasons why they should not be euthanised.

Agreed with you 100%. It should certainly be legal, but only within reason. If it were legalised entirely it could very well get out of control, even to the point that there would be for-profit "suicide clinics."

There's an interesting group in Switzerland that does this called Dignitas. The Guardian did an excellent piece on them a few years ago. They routinely turn people away, e.g. "I'm 40 and never had a boyfriend, I can't take this anymore" - not good enough, go see a shrink. But if they're dealing with a terminally ill person who is in debilitating pain, they are more than willing to help them end their life in dignity. They do charge a hefty fee though. I guess that's why they're so controversial.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jco19)
    Agreed with you 100%. It should certainly be legal, but only within reason. If it were legalised entirely it could very well get out of control, even to the point that there would be for-profit "suicide clinics."

There's an interesting group in Switzerland that does this called Dignitas. The Guardian did an excellent piece on them a few years ago. They routinely turn people away, e.g. "I'm 40 and never had a boyfriend, I can't take this anymore" - not good enough, go see a shrink. But if they're dealing with a terminally ill person who is in debilitating pain, they are more than willing to help them end their life in dignity. They do charge a hefty fee though. I guess that's why they're so controversial.
    I believe it's still illegal to help a family member to go to one of those clinics though.

I think what was mentioned earlier is quite applicable though - Basically, humans who have lived their lives and are suffering great pain have less of a right to death than a foetus or domestic animal does. It shouldn't be the case of Futurama's "Suicide Capsules" where you step inside a phone box and kill yourself, but having the ability to control your life is an important thing that we should all have. We shouldn't even have to go through the courts for something like that.

ReputationRep:
    The Youth in Asia are like any other.

Stop being racist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dragonfly07)
    I'm of the opinion that if you want to die, no one should have the right to force you to stay alive. It's a breach of your freedom. That applies to suicide too.
    I started typing out a message agreeing with this but then thought what about people with mental illness? People suffering from depression? Their mind is not working as mine or yours would. Would they make the same decision if they were not mentally ill?

I agree that a mentally fit person should be able to kill themselves if they want to.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.