Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Still not started dissertation, is this really bad? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Final year and haven't got round to doing anything for my dissertation yet. Had so much coursework this year and a load of exams coming up so my time's taken up with them.

It's in for April and I'm really scared I've left it way too late to have any hope of doing well.

ReputationRep:
    Should have started it earlier, I have absolutely no sympathy.

You still have a reasonable amount of time left, so get off TSR and get started.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cephalus)
    Should have started it earlier, I have absolutely no sympathy.

You still have a reasonable amount of time left, so get off TSR and get started.
    Don't know where to begin

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinman1)
    Don't know where to begin
    Then ask somebody for help, or search the internet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cephalus)
    Then ask somebody for help, or search the internet.
    I'm too worried to ask my supervisor for help as it's so late, he'll probably have a massive go at me and as he's marking it will probably hold it against me.

Does anyone have any tips on where to start? Should I start by reading secondary sources or go straight to primary sources and work from there?

ReputationRep:
    I'm too worried to ask my supervisor for help as it's so late, he'll probably have a massive go at me and as he's marking it will probably hold it against me.

Does anyone have any tips on where to start? Should I start by reading secondary sources or go straight to primary sources and work from there?
    Well, I suppose he may have a go at you, but you might have to face it. As long as its before the deadline, you shouldn't technically be penalised.

ReputationRep:
    Surely it is double marked, or maybe even triple marked?

Anyway, he's your supervisor. He is there as a point of contact and for help and support. You need to contact him and discuss how you're going to start on your dissertation and provide a rough plan/timetable.

If you don't contact him/put it off then it will only get worse and he's even more likely to be annoyed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)
    Surely it is double marked, or maybe even triple marked?

Anyway, he's your supervisor. He is there as a point of contact and for help and support. You need to contact him and discuss how you're going to start on your dissertation and provide a rough plan/timetable.

If you don't contact him/put it off then it will only get worse and he's even more likely to be annoyed.
    You're right, I'll email him. And yes it probably is double marked, although we weren't told that but I'd assume so. Is it possible to do well if I put loads of work in now? Or have I left it too late?

ReputationRep:
    You're right, I'll email him. And yes it probably is double marked, although we weren't told that but I'd assume so. Is it possible to do well if I put loads of work in now? Or have I left it too late?
    It really depends on what kind of dissertation it is (if you need to undertake quantative or qualitative research, for example) and your own work ethic and ability. I've known people start their dissertation later and receive anything from 2:1s to 3rds.

ReputationRep:
    What subject? Start your literature review and read the current views on the topic.
    If it was me I would start with a topic web - put idea in middle, possible hypothesis, methods, key names in that field around the side. How would your research impact society? There's still time to produce quality work! Keep going.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.