Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Like the title and after my research I still got some question that I don't understand. Oh! btw, here is my background, I currently studying A level at the first year and my GCSE result isn't that good but I think I could get grade A in Math, B in Further Math and Distinction* in Double IT.

Here is few question I not quite understand so please help xDDD

from the like I don't quite understand Resident and Nonresident things?
    Is it like resident of California or something ?? and what is the different between living in residence hall and campus ???

The second question is about Aid. (real pain is here)
    I just wonder where do I get finance aid(grand,loans, all kinds of stuff) from ? and can I get grand from UK and study in US or I need to borrow grand from US ?

In the Academic Profile section, I don't quite understand what is it about ? is it the minimum grades you need to apply for the uni ? and how is it compare to the A level ?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone please help

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately you won't get any direct aid from UC Berkley since it is a state institution and they do not generally give away financial aid to international students unlike private universities. If you require a high amount of aid then you should look at private colleges and universities rather than state ones. In California private schools that are similar in level with Berkley are Stanford, University Southern California, Clarmont McKenna, Pomona and CalTech. Hope that helps.

ReputationRep:
    @@ SOOOOOOOO SADDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

not even loans ??? >"<

what about UCLA

I look up for standford fee $58k :-ss but I wonder if can I borrow two or more loans at the same time or only one loans ?

and how's difficult to get in standford ?

ReputationRep:
    UCLA belongs to University of California system as does Berkeley. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Univers...s_and_rankings As a result, UCLA does not offer any financial support for international undergraduates.

By loans you mean loans from the US government? They're only given to citizens or permanent residents. There are ways to obtain private loans but you would need a US citizen or permanent resident to co-borrow them with you.

Stanford does offer financial help but is very competitive with an admission rate of less than 7%. http://www.stanford.edu/dept/uga/bas...n/profile.html

Also, "If you are not a U.S. citizen or U.S. permanent resident, your request for financial aid will be a factor in our admission evaluation. Because of the limited financial aid resources available to international citizens, Stanford can offer admission with financial aid to just a small number of international citizens each year" from http://www.stanford.edu/dept/uga/app...nal/index.html

ReputationRep:
    @@ wow so how can international student come to US to study and they can pay for $50k a year @@ how they can afford that amount of money ?
    if I work there for part time job then 20hrs/week with $10/hrs then I have about ~$9k6 a year..

ReputationRep:
    There are schools that offer full financial support packages for international students - You should search for them yourself. Make a massive list of schools that might appeal to you and start looking at what they offer.

If I'm not wrong, international students might be allowed to work in the US. You should look into any possible restrictions etc.

ReputationRep:
    This might help you http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandre...l-universities Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NKenny)
    @@ wow so how can international student come to US to study and they can pay for $50k a year @@ how they can afford that amount of money ?
    if I work there for part time job then 20hrs/week with $10/hrs then I have about ~$9k6 a year..
    Because most of them are rich...

And unless you excel in some other area so can get a music/sport etc. scholarship, I can't see American universities handing out much financial aid to someone with bad GCSE results and AB at A-level (I assume the IT qualification is a BTEC or something?). Without trying to sound too harsh, you'd struggle to get into a lot of UK universities with those grades - let alone Berkeley!

ReputationRep:
    So does AA*A*b would help me to get to get in these uni ?
    well A in Math,b in furthere math, A*A* in IT BTEC
    I really don't know if BTEC would count as proper A level cuz I take double BTEC IT (2 Alevel).

ReputationRep:
    NKenny, the international students at UC Berkeley are full-paying, so you can expect that they're from rich families in their respective home country. Otherwise, you're right, how would they be able to afford 50k a year at Berkeley? http://students.berkeley.edu/finaid/...ernational.htm

But if you're a really super smart student, maybe you'd take a look at Regent's scholarship. I'm not sure if they offer it to international students, though, but I know someone from Dubai who has studied at Berkeley through Regent's. Try contacting Berkeley about it.

ReputationRep:
    UC Berkeley Regent's Scholar

13. Are international students eligible for a need-based scholarship if their need is determined by the FAFSA?

Yes. International Regents’ and Chancellor’s Scholars are eligible for a need-based Regents’ and Chancellor’s Scholarship. International students need to complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online (if you have a Social Security Number) or submit a paper FAFSA to the Undergraduate Scholarships, Prizes, and Honors Office. The FAFSA information is used to determine financial need. If we need additional documents, we will contact you. International students should direct their questions about the FAFSA to the Regents’ and Chancellor’s Scholarship Coordinator at [email protected].

http://students.berkeley.edu/finaid/...q.htm#selected

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.