Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Paris by myself for a couple of days? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking of heading over to Paris for a night soon, and I have throught through and planned pretty much everything, but there's the whole doubt of whether I'll be safe by myself at all. I've seen some posts around and they all say that it'd be fine for a solo traveller, but I'm 19 and never stayed in a foreign country solo ever before, only with friends or family. Just wondering if anyone has done it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jsee)
    I'm thinking of heading over to Paris for a night soon, and I have throught through and planned pretty much everything, but there's the whole doubt of whether I'll be safe by myself at all. I've seen some posts around and they all say that it'd be fine for a solo traveller, but I'm 19 and never stayed in a foreign country solo ever before, only with friends or family. Just wondering if anyone has done it?
    As someone who was in Paris for the new year's celebration, I can assure you that it is safe. You'd be absolutely fine. Is it a sightseeing trip?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ipoop)
    As someone who was in Paris for the new year's celebration, I can assure you that it is safe. You'd be absolutely fine. Is it a sightseeing trip?
    Yeah, will get there mid afternoon and walk/ metro around the city all afternoon, and then the same until the next evening. Montmarte, Notre Dame, Eiffel Tour all on my list!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jsee)
    Yeah, will get there mid afternoon and walk/ metro around the city all afternoon, and then the same until the next evening. Montmarte, Notre Dame, Eiffel Tour all on my list!
    You shouldn't worry then, just make sure to keep an eye on on your stuff when out and about, there's a lot pick pockets, even then it's very unlikely you'll be targeted. Enjoy your stay.

ReputationRep:
    I just went to Paris; it's fantastic. Don't flash any valuables and you'll be fine. Solo travel is great and nothing to be scared of

ReputationRep:
    Can you speak the language?

ReputationRep:
    I came back from Paris yesterday tbh, there will always be an english speaker to some extent in Paris and you will surely survive because people do tend to be friendly, depending on the area you're going to be in during your short stay.

ReputationRep:
    These guys seem to know what they're talking about but I've seen Taken. Don't talk to any strange men and don't tell them where you live or that you're by yourself. Good Luck.

ReputationRep:
    This thread reminded me of what a disappointment Taken 2 was and I'm sad now.

ReputationRep:
    The only thing i'd say is the French dont like/want/try to speak English with you...even if they can.

So would be helpful if you knew the language.

If not, you can get by...just may make some moments more hard than it should be.

Otherwise, go enjoy yourself!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spongebob'sPants)
    The only thing i'd say is the French dont like/want/try to speak English with you...even if they can.

So would be helpful if you knew the language.

If not, you can get by...just may make some moments more hard than it should be.

Otherwise, go enjoy yourself!
    Monsieur, as a Frenchman I resent this implication!

Nah actually I don't, because I know exactly what you mean. I actually sometimes even spoke English to other Frenchman, feigning my non-fluency, just to piss them off, that's what we French we do.

But on topic, yeah you'll be fine OP. However avoid the run down "Quartiers" late at night, that's when the unpleasant citizens come out. Come back and tell us about you're trip!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sulphur)
    Sorry, no offense meant I was only going on my own experiences!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spongebob'sPants)
    Sorry, no offense meant I was only going on my own experiences!
    I was kidding By all means offend the French to your heart's content!

ReputationRep:

Nah actually I don't, because I know exactly what you mean. I actually sometimes even spoke English to other Frenchman, feigning my non-fluency, just to piss them off, that's what we French we do.

But on topic, yeah you'll be fine OP. However avoid the run down "Quartiers" late at night, that's when the unpleasant citizens come out. Come back and tell us about you're trip!

Hahaha, I did that last week, asking for direction to the 2e arrondissement, he was kind enough to show me the way but he gave me the longest possible route, when he could have just told me to take a few corners and I was there. :rofl:

I was kidding By all means offend the French to your heart's content!
    Monsieur, how can you allow ze English swine to offend la republique and it's people? :pierre:

ReputationRep:
    I went there early 2011 and from what I can tell its no more dangerous than your local city (although watch out for all the touts by the Eiffel Tower etc)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by such_a_lady)
    Can you speak the language?
    Mildly... In the learning stages!

Come back and tell us about you're trip!
    Will do, if it goes ahead.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.