Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S_Adriaan)
    Emily where did you find your placement? I'm a bit clueless on where to start looking as I really want to try get as much experience as possible!
    Google my friend, good old Google. I knew there was a special needs school up from where I live so I used Google maps to find an address then literally Googled them and found a section about placements on their website and emailed the person in charge of handling placements expressing my interest

Just a suggestion, but I went to The Stroke Association last year during summer to do work experience and that was in Gateshead. You are in Gateshead aren't you? There's so many things to do in Sunderland also

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hlangshaw1)
    Yes, I went to a visit day there! It's so pretty, I love it.

My best friend has firmed Nottingham, let me know what halls you get! Ah yes many decisions, but I'm sure it will all work itself out for you
    Just to let you know I got allocated a Private Shared Bathroom at Lenton & Wortley hall at Nottingham Pretty pleased since it's a nice halls of residence and not one of two that I really didn't want to get.

ReputationRep:
    Just put Durham as my firm choice, scary times.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm currently studying Applied Psychology at Queens Campus, Stephenson College. Noticed one or two people seem to be a bit apprehensive about it, it is in no way a worse course! The lower grades are due to less demand, stick the word "applied" in front of anything and everyone suddenly fears it. The same lecturers teach at both campuses, the only real differences are in 3rd year, when you can choose modules, but you can still choose modules from plain old psychology if you want.

Stockton isn't Durham, and the bus service between them is notoriously terrible, but it doesn't really affect nights out. People here go to Middlesbrough, Yarm, Durham, Newcastle and occasionally leeds when there's a trip organised. Plus, if your in stevo, you can literally crawl to lectures the morning after it's so close. Societies have a habit of not catering for Queens, but next year the head of the Student Union is the guy who was head of Stephenson College this year, so things are likely to change. In any case there are a good few societies at Queens, you can always start one up too, I did.

Academically, don't worry about Applied Psych. If any one wants to ask me anything about it send me a message on here, and I'l do my best to check it out when I can. It is coming up to exam season so be patient!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DStudentD)
    Hey, I'm currently studying Applied Psychology at Queens Campus, Stephenson College. Noticed one or two people seem to be a bit apprehensive about it, it is in no way a worse course! The lower grades are due to less demand, stick the word "applied" in front of anything and everyone suddenly fears it. The same lecturers teach at both campuses, the only real differences are in 3rd year, when you can choose modules, but you can still choose modules from plain old psychology if you want.

Stockton isn't Durham, and the bus service between them is notoriously terrible, but it doesn't really affect nights out. People here go to Middlesbrough, Yarm, Durham, Newcastle and occasionally leeds when there's a trip organised. Plus, if your in stevo, you can literally crawl to lectures the morning after it's so close. Societies have a habit of not catering for Queens, but next year the head of the Student Union is the guy who was head of Stephenson College this year, so things are likely to change. In any case there are a good few societies at Queens, you can always start one up too, I did.

Academically, don't worry about Applied Psych. If any one wants to ask me anything about it send me a message on here, and I'l do my best to check it out when I can. It is coming up to exam season so be patient!
    Good stuff, glad to see some positivity about the applied course and Queens, so pleased to hear this! I've got to ask though- is the Durham-Stockton bus really bad? I'll be studying psychology in Durham city, but I live and work in Middlesbrough, so I'll be hoping to use the bus affair bit. Would I be better off getting a rail card, or scrounging a lift?

ReputationRep:

Thanks for the info
    i read on the leaflet that John Snow students eat together twice a week, is that true? Do you have to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ebuwa)
    Thanks for the info
    i read on the leaflet that John Snow students eat together twice a week, is that true? Do you have to?

I was wondering about this too. I'd rather go completely self-catered but I guess it's a good way to meet new people etc? :/ And the cost of the meals is already included in our accomodation fees if you're staying in halls so I suppose we might as well. I've been trying to look at the menu's to see what the food's like but they won't open on my laptop :s

ReputationRep:
    Yeah the x1 isn't great, I use it once a week for sports at the durham main campus. I had a job working for the uni for a bit at the main campus but it worked out as too much commuting time. It's a 40 minute commute each way at least, always make sure your at the bus stop 5-10 minutes early as it can come early or late. It is free though between the campuses, so it's worth it for that and it's usually ok if you have mates with you or a text book with you so you dot feel like your wasting time.

College dining is twice a week, theres no option to opt out of it sadly to make accommodation any cheaper. It's good when you don't have much time or cant be arsed to cook, and also cuts down the weekly food bill quite a lot. It's a 3 course meal, starter of salad. It isn't Michelin star food, but it fills the gap. COmmon food is lesagna, chicken, salmon, vegetarian pasta. Theres always a choice of 3 meals, pone being vegetarian. You don't have to go, I know a good few at stevo that don't bother, but you've already paid for it. If youc ant go for sports reasons or something they can give you a packed lunch, or if your ill someone can pick you something up and bring it back.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah the x1 isn't great, I use it once a week for sports at the durham main campus. I had a job working for the uni for a bit at the main campus but it worked out as too much commuting time. It's a 40 minute commute each way at least, always make sure your at the bus stop 5-10 minutes early as it can come early or late. It is free though between the campuses, so it's worth it for that and it's usually ok if you have mates with you or a text book with you so you dot feel like your wasting time.

College dining is twice a week, theres no option to opt out of it sadly to make accommodation any cheaper. It's good when you don't have much time or cant be arsed to cook, and also cuts down the weekly food bill quite a lot. It's a 3 course meal, starter of salad. It isn't Michelin star food, but it fills the gap. COmmon food is lesagna, chicken, salmon, vegetarian pasta. Theres always a choice of 3 meals, pone being vegetarian. You don't have to go, I know a good few at stevo that don't bother, but you've already paid for it. If youc ant go for sports reasons or something they can give you a packed lunch, or if your ill someone can pick you something up and bring it back.
    Where is it held? Is there a register for attendence? Do you know any black students?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the info- sounds like a regular bus to be honest! It's roughly a 40 minute drive anyway, so it sounds ok so long as I get to a bus stop on time. Do you know if it runs during weekends and on nights? Sorry to pester, but few of the Durham City students on my open day and offer holders day knew much about it.

ReputationRep:
    Weekends and night yeah, we use it to get back from nights out in durham, think the last bus is at 2 on a weekend but cant be certain. I use it most weekends for sport.

No register for dining, it's in the waterside café for both colleges on different night, and there is a huge ethnic mix here so yeah.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.