Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Basically i have 3 exams coming up and have preety much covered everything, but was just wondering if i should:

Stay up all night before the exam going over everything?
    Or should i sleep?

Dont really know what to do because both seem sorta beneficial?

ReputationRep:
    Sleep :ms:

ReputationRep:
    Sleep. If you stay up all night, you will be too tired to do the exam. I have a friend who spent all night on Twitter the night before an exam and fell asleep in said exam. She got a U.

ReputationRep:
    Sleep, absolutely. If you don't, you'll be shattered and won't be able to think properly.

ReputationRep:
    You don't perform well when you're tired. Sleep!
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    What about going to sleep at 7pm till 4.00Am then revising till 9.00am ( the exam )?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperMushroom)
    What about going to sleep at 7pm till 4.00Am then revising till 9.00am ( the exam )?
    Don't do that. You'll still be tired, your revision from 4am to 9am won't be constructive. Either stay up for a bit longer then go to sleep. Don't mess with your sleeping patterns!

ReputationRep:
    Don't you find last minute revising just stresses you out? Do something active like going cycling or running as that stimulates your mind
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Ok ill stay a sleep.
    Thank you all for your help
    Much appreciated

ReputationRep:
    Basically i have 3 exams coming up and have preety much covered everything, but was just wondering if i should:

Or should i sleep?

No no way should you stay up all night, especially as you say you've pretty much covered everything. If you've done almost no revision and never pay attention in class through the year or do work through the year then I would say stay up but that's only a very last resort. I did that last year, I stayed up almost the entire night and got 2 hours sleep. I was sort of okay in the exam but for the more application style questions I made stupid mistakes and my brain just wouldn't work properly, I could only regurgitate information, not think. That was okay because it was AS but at A2 it's more application based, for science. Yeah, I've learnt from my mistakes- NEVER again am I doing that. Still left my revision a little late this year but nowhere near as bad as last year.

Sorry for the rambling, but DEFINITELY SLEEP.

ReputationRep:

Or should i sleep?

what exams have you got and you should go to sleep earlier than you usually do because you might be a little stressed out that you have an exam the next day, eat healthily to ensure your brain will function properly and drink plenty of water.... good luck for your exams hope you do well.... xxxx

ReputationRep:
    Sleep is important otherwise your brain will lack performance. Seriously.

Do all day revision now. Start now, don't waste a single second. Revise while walking to school even (just be safe crossing roads and so on).

ReputationRep:
    A good nights sleep with little to no revision the next morning.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L1000)
    Don't do that. You'll still be tired, your revision from 4am to 9am won't be constructive. Either stay up for a bit longer then go to sleep. Don't mess with your sleeping patterns!
    That's 9 hours sleep, why would he still be tired?

ReputationRep:
    just sleep like you usually do.

ReputationRep:
    Don't, I did intense revision for four hours before my English Language exams and I just couldn't concentrate or think of anything to write.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manchesterunited15)
    That's 9 hours sleep, why would he still be tired?
    You're not gonna want to wake up at 4am to work. Have you tried getting up in the middle of night to work? All your body wants to do is sleep and you either fall back asleep or get up and work with loss of concentration
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    It is a no brainer. Sleep! Stay up a little the night before and study till 10-11pm until you feel tired then go to sleep and wake up at 7am and have a quick look through your notes. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L1000)
    You're not gonna want to wake up at 4am to work. Have you tried getting up in the middle of night to work? All your body wants to do is sleep and you either fall back asleep or get up and work with loss of concentration
    It all depends on the individual.

I found going to sleep at 10pm and waking up at 3am the day before each exam and revising from 3am-8am and go over everything to be greatly beneficial. I have no problem waking up either as the adrenaline of ''Oooh I have an exam today'' kicks in.

Of-course, not a good method for everyone. For example one my friends during a-levels would absolutely under no circumstances even look at notes / books etc on the morning of the exam. Even if you discussed contents of the exam in front of him he would walk off and not want to hear anything :lol:

ReputationRep:
    I would say not sleeping before an exam is in no way beneficial.
    That said, your answers could prove entertaining to read.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful revision links

Articles

Writing revision notes

Our top revision articles

Tips and advice on making the most of your study time.

Boomarked book

Superpowered study

Take the hard work out of revising with our masterplan.

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Can you help? Study Help unanswered threadsStudy Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.