Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

History of Art: a waste of time? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Okay. So I'm taking HoA for A level, and I've already got an offer for a great college (Highgate) but I'm still in year 11. I took HoA but immediately got told it's a waste of time by my fellow Yr 11s.

Can anyone tell me what it's like, and whether it's worth it?

I'm also taking Maths, Physics and Mandarin, if it helps.

Thanks!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Is it something that interests you? I cannot speak for the course itself but if you have gotten an offer from a place that you like, doing a course that you enjoy; what's the problem?

ReputationRep:
    Well, I've never actually tried analysing art, or writing essays on it, but I love art and architecture. Besides, my parents both took it, and my mum is an artist, so I can get some help. It'll be dropped come year 13 though.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I took A level History of Art as an evening class to help me with my uni application however it turned out to be my favourite subject to study! I just loved it! It was made up of History of: fine art, architecture and craft, I was dreading the architecture part but ended up loving it too! I even considered studying BA in History of Art but changed my mind when I had a long hard think about career prospects. Having also taken A level Art & Design, it gave me further insight into how/why works are composed & all the wee secrets that are hidden in art-works

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.