Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Did I do the right thing? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Basically, around where I live I see a young child (about 6 or 7 years old) walking to the local shop by herself. Her parents are no where to be seen, and she has to cross a few busy roads on the way there. Cars tend to zoom round corners, and she's so small they could easily faily to see her. I've seen her make her way home with heavy shopping that she's always dropping and most of the time she seems to be in her own little bubble.

I've seen her a fair few times, and I've noticed how unconfident she seems- I'm a good person and I'm concerned for her, but there could be people out there who don't have good intentions. She could easily be snatched or hit by a car. I know these are worst-case scenarios, and her parents obviously trust her, but something about this worries me. I sent a note to social services with brief details of what I'd noticed so they can act on it if they think it's an issue. I have no other reason to suspect she's in danger, which I made clear to them.

It was eating away at me, so I had to say something. I know it's none of my business whether or not people let their kids out on their own, but if something were to happen to her and I hadn't have spoken up, I'd never have been able to forgive myself. Now it's up to social services- I suppose they'll be able to assess whether or not there is cause for concern.

I don't want to get anyone in trouble if they don't deserve it, but it was worrying me. Have I done the right thing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lit2010)
    Basically, around where I live I see a young child (about 6 or 7 years old) walking to the local shop by herself. Her parents are no where to be seen, and she has to cross a few busy roads on the way there. Cars tend to zoom round corners, and she's so small they could easily faily to see her. I've seen her make her way home with heavy shopping that she's always dropping and most of the time she seems to be in her own little bubble.

I've seen her a fair few times, and I've noticed how unconfident she seems- I'm a good person and I'm concerned for her, but there could be people out there who don't have good intentions. She could easily be snatched or hit by a car. I know these are worst-case scenarios, and her parents obviously trust her, but something about this worries me. I sent a note to social services with brief details of what I'd noticed so they can act on it if they think it's an issue. I have no other reason to suspect she's in danger, which I made clear to them.

It was eating away at me, so I had to say something. I know it's none of my business whether or not people let their kids out on their own, but if something were to happen to her and I hadn't have spoken up, I'd never have been able to forgive myself. Now it's up to social services- I suppose they'll be able to assess whether or not there is cause for concern.

I don't want to get anyone in trouble if they don't deserve it, but it was worrying me. Have I done the right thing?
    I'd say you've done the right thing.
    I commute to Uni everyday via bus and it's a good 2 hours 30 min journey to Cambridge and i see this little boy (probably aged 10), I'm sure he goes to a primary school, get on at Huntingdon to go to Cambridge all by himself in the morning and that is a good 1 hour 15 min journey, plus the mornings are pretty dark now a days :/. I think there parents just don't care :/.
    When i was his age i wasn't allowed to even cross the road by my self lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bahjat93)
    I commute to Uni everyday via bus and it's a good 2 hours 30 min journey to Cambridge and i see this little boy (probably aged 10), I'm sure he goes to a primary school, get on at Huntingdon to go to Cambridge all by himself in the morning and that is a good 1 hour 15 min journey, plus the mornings are pretty dark now a days :/. I think there parents just don't care :/.
    Thanks! I just find it a bit risky in these times to be letting kids come and go as they please like that. In the perfect world there would be no cars or bad people who could hurt them, but unfortunately we have to hope for the best, but in a way expect the worst.

ReputationRep:
    I think you did the right thing, a child of that age should be supervised when out in public. Anything could happen to her!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bahjat93)
    Oh god, if I was you, I would speak to the bus driver and ask him has he noticed this boy before. Then ask the bus driver to speak to the boy to check if he is safe. It would be a bit awkward if you asked him yourself what school he went and what's his name. But I think the bus driver could ask then he could contact the school to see if they know the situation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lit2010)
    Thanks! I just find it a bit risky in these times to be letting kids come and go as they please like that. In the perfect world there would be no cars or bad people who could hurt them, but unfortunately we have to hope for the best, but in a way expect the worst.
    I think you did the right thing, I feel sorry for such a young child to be doing that, she should be playing at home not carrying heavy bags on the streets.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luxray)
    Oh god, if I was you, I would speak to the bus driver and ask him has he noticed this boy before. Then ask the bus driver to speak to the boy to check if he is safe. It would be a bit awkward if you asked him yourself what school he went and what's his name. But I think the bus driver could ask then he could contact the school to see if they know the situation.
    The kid sits like right in front of the bus at the place where people enter the bus. He's litterally like a half a meter away from the bus driver. Which i guess is a good thing . Bus still a kid that young shouldn't be taking a bus for more then a hour alone specially when commuting between cities :/.
    I'll say hello to the little guy when i go to Uni for his and my safety .

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.