Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If Oxbridge are the only good universities in the UK then why are the rest still open Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm a frequent stalker of TSR. But, one thing I always see is that everyone says Oxbridge is the only university worth going to and if someone goes elsewhere they will struggle when they leave uni.

I'm currently holding offers for Biology from top 20 universities (four of which are Russell group and two are top ten), but I don't think I want to go anymore. Why should I pay to attend a bad university? (According to TSR). I'm not smart enough to apply for Oxbridge, I'm even surprised with the offers I have and my AS grades.

I'm from a very poor background and I'll be the first to go to uni, but I would rather not waste my time and money if I get no benefits from getting a degree from these places. I'm one of the few in my college applying to such places, and I thought it was an achievement but now I know otherwise.

I don't know what to do and I can't focus on my revision...

You are probably too stupid to attend university, anyway - if you honestly believe that.

ReputationRep:
    I'm calling :troll:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper

:facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    I am not trolling...

It's a genuine concern which I cannot address by myself.

ReputationRep:
    You're either a troll or you're going to university for the wrong reasons. If you're only going to university for the prestige, and you're not interested in your subject or the university experience, then you shouldn't go. Getting into a top university that's not Oxbridge is still a tremendous achievement and you should take what TSR posters claim say with a salt. Congratulations.

ReputationRep:
    Just because you can't have a Ferrari, doesn't mean you won't drive at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Qui pod)
    I'm a frequent stalker of TSR. But, one thing I always see is that everyone says Oxbridge is the only university worth going to and if someone goes elsewhere they will struggle when they leave uni.

I'm currently holding offers for Biology from top 20 universities (four of which are Russell group and two are top ten), but I don't think I want to go anymore. Why should I pay to attend a bad university? (According to TSR). I'm not smart enough to apply for Oxbridge, I'm even surprised with the offers I have and my AS grades.

I'm from a very poor background and I'll be the first to go to uni, but I would rather not waste my time and money if I get no benefits from getting a degree from these places. I'm one of the few in my college applying to such places, and I thought it was an achievement but now I know otherwise.

I don't know what parts of TSR you have been reading, but it sounds to me like this experience is probably unique to you. There are a few trolls who make this claim, but who are massively outnumbered by people with a more realistic outlook.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tengentoppa)
    You're either a troll or you're going to university for the wrong reasons. If you're only going to university for the prestige, and you're not interested in your subject or the university experience, then you shouldn't go. Getting into a top university that's not Oxbridge is still a tremendous achievement and you should take what TSR posters claim say with a salt. Congratulations.
    I actually wanted to go to university so I could do research... But some of these threads are very disheartening.

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    I've never heard anyone say that seriously. Lots of people want to go to Oxbridge, but I don't think I've even seen anyone claim Imperial or Durham isn't worth going to.

ReputationRep:
    Can you point me to this posts that claim Oxford and Cambridge are the only universities worth going to? I haven't seen any, certainly none from people who weren't trolling (and the threads were therefore removed).

Stupid people have to study somewhere :dontknow:

ReputationRep:

Why are you listening to TSR nerds? People on here haven't been out in the real world, they think if you don't get 7 A*'s for gcses and everything you've got no chance in life, they genuinely do, they're just a bunch of kids who haven't been out there stop taking them seriously.

ReputationRep:
    You must ask yourself, why you want to go to uni. If you want to go to Oxford because of the name, don't waste your time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HollyB_C)
    You are probably too stupid to attend university, anyway - if you honestly believe that.
    I would tend to agree with this poster.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bobifier)
    I don't know what parts of TSR you have been reading, but it sounds to me like this experience is probably unique to you. There are a few trolls who make this claim, but who are massively outnumbered by people with a more realistic outlook.
    Perhaps so. I know I have to get a first because its the only way I could get equivalent to an Oxbridge 2:1. So, am I in anyway disadvantaged by going to Imperial, Lancaster, Kings, Manchester or Loughborough? Like in the real world or if I try to do a phd. (Mainly Manchester, I really loved it when I had my interview).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SummitOfReason)
    Just because you go to Oxbridge, doesn't mean you are guaranteed a perfect job, or the job you want. What utter nonsense.

Of course those who go to Oxbridge are of course intelligent and the vast majority will do well in life. But if you get a third from Oxford, in a science subject, let's say, you probably aren't as well equipped to enter a research laboratory as someone who got a first in the same subject at Imperial, UCL, Bristol or Warwick.

There are loads of other great universities in the U.K. Some people aren't that lucky at the time of applying to university and have other things going on in their life than applying to Oxbridge.

You build up your C.V. and there's is more to it than the name Oxford or Cambridge.

Besides there are far more clever young people in the U.K. than there are spaces at Oxford or Cambridge. Sometimes it's just a case of hit or miss, and trust me, there are plenty of very very bright and employable people at other top british unis.
    I agree, although I understand your concerns regarding competing with Oxbridge graduates once you've finished your degree at another University. I am prone to University snobbery myself, occasionally looking down at those who do Photography or other seemingly pointless degrees at less prominent Universities, but as I am currently attending to a Russell Group University (NOT Oxbridge) I just have to try and have confidence that I can succeed even if I don't have Oxford or Cambridge on my CV, and you will have to do the same.

I do however think your 'what is the point' attitude is a bit disconcerting; if you really did want to research your chosen topic you would do it anyway, and hopefully your passion in that would help you advance in your career in the same way as putting an Oxbridge qualification on your CV.

....or am I just being too optimistic?:rolleyes:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Ok... where have you seen this? can you show us a thread or two?

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps so. I know I have to get a first because its the only way I could get equivalent to an Oxbridge 2:1. So, am I in anyway disadvantaged from going to Imperial, Lancaster, Kings, Manchester or Loughborough? Like in the real world or if I try to do a phd. (Mainly Manchester, I really loved it when I had my interview).
    Where you attend as an undergraduate has no real bearing on your chances of postgraduate study. What is important is your academic records and interests, among other things, but certainly not your university reputation. People go from former polytechnics to Oxford and Cambridge for postgrad for goodness sake. Those universities you've listed are still among our leading universities.

You are largely responsible for getting a job, not your university. Consider that there are only a few hundred Oxford and Cambridge graduates every year, yet many, many thousands of graduate vacancies.

Competition is tough, very touch indeed, but attending those Russell or 1994 Group universities instead of Oxford or Cambridge really won't make the difference you seem to think it will.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)
    Can you point me to this posts that claim Oxford and Cambridge are the only universities worth going to? I haven't seen any, certainly none from people who weren't trolling (and the threads were therefore removed).
    (Original post by chickenonsteroids)
    Ok... where have you seen this? can you show us a thread or two?

I can't link you to a specific thread at the moment. You both know as well as I that there are a plethora of threads which support what I'm saying. There are constant arguments between people and Oxbridge always comes out on top. Law firms only recruit Oxbridge. Finance recruit only Oxbridge. Etc

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.