Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If Oxbridge are the only good universities in the UK then why are the rest still open Watch

• PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Qui pod)
    Perhaps so. I know I have to get a first because its the only way I could get equivalent to an Oxbridge 2:1. So, am I in anyway disadvantaged by going to Imperial, Lancaster, Kings, Manchester or Loughborough? Like in the real world or if I try to do a phd. (Mainly Manchester, I really loved it when I had my interview).
    Absolutely not mate. If you're interested in employment prospects, Manchester was ranked #1 in the country this year for it. Followed by Cambridge, UCL,Imperial, Nottingham and finally Oxford. The source is in my past threads if you wanna check it out (can't post it as I'm on my phone).

Also, many of the men and women who employ you after university won't have attended Oxbridge. They won't be elite. They will be normal.

What course are you doing?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    This is why I generally hate TSR. You people never read anything and start this group bullying. He's asking a simple question for goddamn's sake and you people can't even bother to help him out. My advice is to go Uni. At the moment, recession is rampant in this country. You need to be qualified to get a job nowadays. Otherwise you might take the path of where those people that didn't have many qualifications to become famous or take the same path and fail. It all depends on your will, how strong will you want. It all depends on what you want to do in life. Once you know that, you must purse it. You can't give it up, believe me, go to Uni, work hard, and pass your exams. Then just apply for a job application in where you want to work. You'll see job offers coming through, but it depends on what course and subject you take. Uni is worth it, whether or not it is best or not, Uni is still better than secondary school. And if you have a qualification, you're bound to get a job. But make sure you choose a good one. I would go to Uni no matter the cost. But you should have worked hard in Collage, else you would have received a scholarship which would have made you go free to Uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kutta)
    Hong Kong is in China, and the University of Hong Kong is always in the top 15 in the global rankings
    But they are not better than, or equal to oxbridge which is what this thread is about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LadyHaha)
    ...Oxbridge isn't the best place to go for every subject.
    This is right. While Oxford and Cambridge are aggregatively the best universities in the country, sensibly no-one goes to a university in this aggregated sense in which universities are measured against each other. A person studies a particular degree course in a particular department. On the average these are better at Oxbridge than elsewhere and some of them (Cambridge maths, Oxford classics, etc.) are widely acknowledged as the best. Some or many will have non-Oxbridge rivals that are quite as good. Others will be acknowledged within the discipline as outperformed by specified non-Oxbridge institutions. In still other subjects there is no or partial provision offered at Oxbridge, such that a person wanting to study these will necessarily be best served in studying elsewhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dpdr)
    Absolutely not mate. If you're interested in employment prospects, Manchester was ranked #1 in the country this year for it. Followed by Cambridge, UCL,Imperial, Nottingham and finally Oxford. The source is in my past threads if you wanna check it out (can't post it as I'm on my phone).

Also, many of the men and women who employ you after university won't have attended Oxbridge. They won't be elite. They will be normal.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I've had to create another account, my details weren't working.

Wow, really interesting stats. I'm holding offers for Biology from Manchester, Kings, Imperial, Loughborough and Lancaster. I would love to go into research...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Marshall)
    This is why I generally hate TSR. You people never read anything and start this group bullying. He's asking a simple question for goddamn's sake and you people can't even bother to help him out. My advice is to go Uni. At the moment, recession is rampant in this country. You need to be qualified to get a job nowadays. Otherwise you might take the path of where those people that didn't have many qualifications to become famous or take the same path and fail. It all depends on your will, how strong will you want. It all depends on what you want to do in life. Once you know that, you must purse it. You can't give it up, believe me, go to Uni, work hard, and pass your exams. Then just apply for a job application in where you want to work. You'll see job offers coming through, but it depends on what course and subject you take. Uni is worth it, whether or not it is best or not, Uni is still better than secondary school. And if you have a qualification, you're bound to get a job. But make sure you choose a good one. I would go to Uni no matter the cost. But you should have worked hard in Collage, else you would have received a scholarship which would have made you go free to Uni.
    Thanks a lot, you're one of the few people that have actually posted something constructive. I'll definitely take up your advice.

ReputationRep:
    It is clear to me that opportunities are available to students regardless of the institute they attend, and it is up to me to take full advantage of them.

Im very happy with the offers I have been given, and I'm certain Ill enjoy my course and university. At the end of the day that is all that matters.

I will no longer reply to any more posts on this thread, thank you guys.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Qui pod2)
    Thanks a lot, you're one of the few people that have actually posted something constructive. I'll definitely take up your advice.
    Mmmm - I'd take the bit about qualifications guaranteeing you a job with a pinch of salt.

people want guarantees but unfortunately nothing is guaranteed. You can pretty much spot who *will definately* get jobs on a uni course because they're doing things that improve their employability on top of doing the things needed to pass the course - planning, researching companies, placements, work exp, networking.

The ones who just pass the exams, sit back with no plan and eventually plop out into the world blinking with a degree cert are the ones who will most likely spend time on the dole.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joinedup)
    Mmmm - I'd take the bit about qualifications guaranteeing you a job with a pinch of salt.

people want guarantees but unfortunately nothing is guaranteed. You can pretty much spot who *will definately* get jobs on a uni course because they're doing things that improve their employability on top of doing the things needed to pass the course - planning, researching companies, placements, work exp, networking.

The ones who just pass the exams, sit back with no plan and eventually plop out into the world blinking with a degree cert are the ones who will most likely spend time on the dole.
    Mhm, as I said, I'll try and take those opportunities, I want to make the most of my time at uni.

Thanks mate.

Now, I'm not posting here again lol.

ReputationRep:
    :troll:

ReputationRep:
    At least it worked, np, I hope this helps you in later life, and ignore these TSR people. They're never that helpful except the only thing they know to do is to bully people. Ignore them. I hope you have a life full of prosperity and good luck in what ever you choose to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Qui pod)
    I can't link you to a specific thread at the moment. You both know as well as I that there are a plethora of threads which support what I'm saying. There are constant arguments between people and Oxbridge always comes out on top. Law firms only recruit Oxbridge. Finance recruit only Oxbridge. Etc
    who told you this? LSE law is very strong and many graduates get jobs in Law.:rolleyes:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    I would love to go into research...
    You may also like to know Manchester is ranked #3 for research excellence, only to Oxbridge. Nottingham and Kings aren't far behind.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dpdr)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If you're refering to this report:

http://www.highfliers.co.uk/download/GMReport12.pdf

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...&page=6&page=6

then I'm afraid I don't agree with your results.

London as I have stated does not exist as a uni and to clump together Imperial, LSE and UCL, without explicitly stating what the whole list comprises is absurd.

No othe measure in league tables will you find London aggregated so why do it here?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChemistBoy)
    Nothing to do with being founded by Brits in a place that was a British colony until 1997, the vast majority of the university's life.
    Any survey taken will have a biasedness towards English speaking countries.

For example, if you asked a westerner for the top 20 martial arts films, how many world be able to name beyond Enter The Dragon, Crouching Tiger and Kill Bill?

The remaining 17 would more or less be random.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Namige)
    But they are not better than, or equal to oxbridge which is what this thread is about.
    They are certainly not as famous but what is better?

Bet you didn't know the standard of the school exams, ie A-Levels in HK is way beyond the UK equivalent but how often is that cited?

http://www.scribd.com/doc/52083687/A...2008-Paper-1-2

http://www.scribd.com/doc/52489790/al-pure-2011

All you ever hear about when conducting surveys is to compare the UK with Europe (understandbly the Uk is part of Europe) but also with the US? Why the US?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by curiousquest)
    They are certainly not as famous but what is better?

Bet you didn't know the standard of the school exams, ie A-Levels in HK is way beyond the UK equivalent but how often is that cited?

http://www.scribd.com/doc/52083687/A...2008-Paper-1-2

http://www.scribd.com/doc/52489790/al-pure-2011

All you ever hear about when conducting surveys is to compare the UK with Europe (understandbly the Uk is part of Europe) but also with the US? Why the US?
    I'm very well aware of HK exams. But let me first say that it really isn't that much harder than C3/4 FP1/2/3. Secondly, the UK has in my opinion the second best set of universities in the world, behind America.

But most importantly, you are going off the point that the OP is trying to make. Regardless of how good you think HK exams are, the 'inferior' UK exams seem to not be negatively affecting Oxbridge's options too much, right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by curiousquest)
    London as I have stated does not exist as a uni
    Will you break it to her or should I?

http://www.london.ac.uk/3426.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    Will you break it to her or should I?

http://www.london.ac.uk/3426.html
    Nah, let her work it out, eventually!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Namige)
    I'm very well aware of HK exams. But let me first say that it really isn't that much harder than C3/4 FP1/2/3. Secondly, the UK has in my opinion the second best set of universities in the world, behind America.

But most importantly, you are going off the point that the OP is trying to make. Regardless of how good you think HK exams are, the 'inferior' UK exams seem to not be negatively affecting Oxbridge's options too much, right?
    I have to disagree with you that the HK exams isn't much harder than the UK equivalent. Have read comments by others on TSR who seem to agree with me.

That's the point re universities league tables (or any table for that matter), it's highly subjective as to what is better.

To rank by objective measures such as starting salaries would be more meaningful, even though that too is subject to large fluctuations and inaccuracies.

If what is regarded as "best" is measured solely by preception, then why do research for these tables. Instead, just pluck institutions from thin air because "the ones that are deemed good always will be".

Two examples I give is city skylines and shopping. New York always seem to be the first that springs to mind for most people but (in my opinion) the HK skyline is far more appealing and varied. That is subjective but what is not is there are more skyscrapers in HK than New York.

The Far East (HK and Tokyo) have far more shops and variety than New York / Paris but yet again these (HK / Tokyo) never seem to be the first choice on a list.

Even when natural disasters such as earthquakes occur, the US gets far more coverage on the British media than if it happened elsewhere.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.