Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am starting a PGCE year and going onto teaching. The problem with me is that although I am almost twenty one I often get mistaken for fourteen because of my baby face.

I need an appropriate wardrobe and one that will hold youth but give the sense of authority. I am a size 6-8 and small 5'3 and very pale. At work ( I work in sales) I wear a blouse and skirt but I don't want to be defined just by the plain white blouse and pencil skirt.

Help?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Fashion isn't going to be only thing that you will need to change. You will need to look at your manner too.

Female teachers vary as to what they teach so first question, what are you teaching and at what level?

ReputationRep:
    I am teaching Secondary English 11-18 and manner is definitely being worked on. My part time job is in a reputable company face to face sales so I have professional manner experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DesertRoseFallen)
    I am starting a PGCE year and going onto teaching. The problem with me is that although I am almost twenty one I often get mistaken for fourteen because of my baby face.

I need an appropriate wardrobe and one that will hold youth but give the sense of authority. I am a size 6-8 and small 5'3 and very pale. At work ( I work in sales) I wear a blouse and skirt but I don't want to be defined just by the plain white blouse and pencil skirt.

Help?
    I did my PGCE last year and I must admit on placement I got mistaken for a 6th former sometimes lol. In class, it has never been an issue. The kids obviously can see that I am quite young, but as long as you show you are in charge you should be fine.
    Clothing-wise I just wear trousers - sometimes skinny ones. Shirts with cardis or smart jumpers or blazers (I LOVE blazers and you can easily get smart ones which also look trendy). I tend to wear bracelets which are not so smart (a friendship one and some beaded ones). It can also depend on the school - some require you to essentially wear a full suit or at least a blazer. Others don't care.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Okay I would have said that there is nothing wrong with plain dresses or trouser suits. Hair to be tied up out of the face in a bun or pony tail. In secondary education keeping stern but nice. Wear whatever you feel comfortable in but look presentable. Keep makeup to a minimum and enforce your own rules of little makeup.

An old maths teacher of mine used to have face-wipes. At the start of the year girls would refuse to take their makeup off. By the end they would walk into her class and take a face-wipe.

Your fashion has to fit your manner.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.