Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I took Further Maths, I got A* for Maths GCSEs.

So, is Mechanics (M1) that much more difficult than C1/C2/D1?

Rate the difficulty of it and the difficulty of other subjects so I can compare.

My preferances are (higher the percentage, easier it is):
    C1: 95%
    C2: 96%
    D1: 80%
    M1: Don't know. Never got taught this module yet.

ReputationRep:
    You will get a range of subjective answers. Based on your current UMS you have the ability to do well. Enjoyment/knocking down mental barriers is often the reason for pupils success with M1. From experience too many build up a fear of the module when in reality, for many, it's awesome.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by m4ths/maths247)
    You will get a range of subjective answers. Based on your current UMS you have the ability to do well. Enjoyment/knocking down mental barriers is often the reason for pupils success with M1. From experience too many build up a fear of the module when in reality, for many, it's awesome.
    How big is the jump from c2 to c3 in terms of difficulty? And c3 to c4?

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently studying M1, C1 and FP1 and I'm finding Mechanics to be the easiest. It's more physics based and logical than the others and once you've learned the laws such as Newton's experimental law, constitution of momentum, constant acceleration formulas then it becomes just applying formulas to different problems an situations.

Going by your past scores I'd say you'd have no trouble doing well in M1.

ReputationRep:
    Are you sure about that? Is M1 that easy?

Apparently it's difficult and I'm afraid, and doing bad in further maths could affect my overall maths grades.

And what counts as a FULL AS for Further Maths? What exams do I have to do so I can see if I leave the year with 2 AS levels or just 1 and a bit.

ReputationRep:
    M1 is basically physics (a slight extension of the Newtonian mechanics you do in AS Physics, only without definitions and more 'mathsy'). It's not too complicated, but requires some visualisation of the problem to help solve it. In answer to a previous question of yours, I found the step from C2 to C3 quite noticeable than, say, from C1 to C2. In my opinion, C3 has more content and is harder than C4 (Edexcel this is).

ReputationRep:
    I think it sounds like we're of similar ability and thus far there have been a few challenging things in M1 but that's mostly down to my teacher and her dependence on mymaths. You've done well so far, I don't think you'd struggle but if you're that worried then have a look through M1 in a text book or on mymaths, you can use my school's logon details if you don't have your own.

I'm doing WJEC and the course for us is M1, M2 and FP1. The only downside is that next year I'll have to do Stats instead of Mechanics but that's no real problem and it'll certainly make Physics easier when we come to do Mechanics!

ReputationRep:
    In terms of the content involved, M1 is a straightforward module, and the maths involved is not difficult as the module is designed to be able to be taught without any previous A level knowledge required. However, Mechanics does require a specific way of thinking which is what many people struggle with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vorsah)
    How big is the jump from c2 to c3 in terms of difficulty? And c3 to c4?
    Any question on "How" is all subjective.
    The transition for some students is fine, for some it's easier than the transition from GCSE to C1 and for others it's harder.
    GCSEs are often the limit for some students
    AS is often the limit for some students
    A2 is often.....
    You see where this is going.

The responses you will have on the site will give you some idea of how members have found the transition. The forum is not in keeping with the UK cohort (in general) though and attracts many more of the able, motivated students.
    If you are scoring high UMS in C1/C2, enjoying the subject and are motivated then the switch from AS to A2 will probably be enjoyable. The content is a step up but how you perceive that (and as a result deal with it) will be determined by factors such as natural ability, motivation, teaching, resources etc etc. From personal experience many of the students I have taught have been far more at ease with C3 than they have with C1 as the 'shock factor' of AS study has gone (the requirement to be self motivated, less structure etc etc).
    It is important to appreciate around 15-30% of pupils do not pass AS units. For these students generally the transition will be tough (if they decided to do it).
    It's all very person specific and peoples 'maturity' in terms of both the subject and study skills can alter from AS to A2.
    Keep and open mind, work hard and you should be fine if you have been ok with AS.
    I don't like to be pinned down to an answer as I truly believe its not how hard something is, its how hard you perceive it to be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by m4ths/maths247)
    Any question on "How" is all subjective.
    The transition for some students is fine, for some it's easier than the transition from GCSE to C1 and for others it's harder.
    GCSEs are often the limit for some students
    AS is often the limit for some students
    A2 is often.....
    You see where this is going.

The responses you will have on the site will give you some idea of how members have found the transition. The forum is not in keeping with the UK cohort (in general) though and attracts many more of the able, motivated students.
    If you are scoring high UMS in C1/C2, enjoying the subject and are motivated then the switch from AS to A2 will probably be enjoyable. The content is a step up but how you perceive that (and as a result deal with it) will be determined by factors such as natural ability, motivation, teaching, resources etc etc. From personal experience many of the students I have taught have been far more at ease with C3 than they have with C1 as the 'shock factor' of AS study has gone (the requirement to be self motivated, less structure etc etc).
    It is important to appreciate around 15-30% of pupils do not pass AS units. For these students generally the transition will be tough (if they decided to do it).
    It's all very person specific and peoples 'maturity' in terms of both the subject and study skills can alter from AS to A2.
    Keep and open mind, work hard and you should be fine if you have been ok with AS.
    I don't like to be pinned down to an answer as I truly believe its not how hard something is, its how hard you perceive it to be.

An excellent answer.

I'm fed up with those that say " I did module X in 7 days" etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steve2005)
    An excellent answer.

I'm fed up with those that say " I did module X in 7 days" etc
    Thanks
    I don't like the "I did it in 7 days so everybody can" culture. I have had to sit with a number of pupils who have tried their hardest from Sep-May week in week out. These pupils often only just 'scrape' modest grades in comparison to those achieved by very able students. There is a level for everybody and I think it's important we can appreciate that.

ReputationRep:
    As said before it is subjective, do you:

a) have a visual mind?
    b) have a logical mind?
    c) have the ability to be conceptual?

If yes, then mechanics should be fine. I'm not one for judging on C1/2 because I know people who got relatively lower UMS in M1 compared to their others.

Overall, I'd say it's fairly basic but still interesting

ReputationRep:
    I think instead of asking yourself if it's hard, you should ask yourself 'am I interested in physics?'.
    I did M1 as part of my further maths but sadly I just didn't enjoy it (but I still got full marks, so you see even if you don't enjoy it it is still manageable) so now I'm doing S2 3 and 4 instead and I found it much more interesting and it relates to what I want to do in a future.

So there are actually different number of factors that can affect your choice but whatever your choice is make sure you give it your best and you will definitely see the result.

Good luck!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.