Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is possible to get rid of acne without medication? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Apparently changes in the diet can help get rid of medication as foods that raise your GI are bad for you or something, has anyone had any type of experience getting rid of acne without medication and how can I do it?

Any interesting point to note that I read somewhere is that its only westerners that get it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheStudent.)
    Lol.

Of course.
    So have you done this and how?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Everyone gets acne it just varies in appearance and the skin condition. Anyway, acne can be gotten rid of by reducing the amount of fatty foods within your diet and living a relatively healthy lifestyle.

NB: Acne happens to everyone and eventually fades with time. As you're only 17 you will have a pretty high level of acne. It will die down with time. Just ensure your diet isn't full of junk food and that you wash your face with a scrub daily.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mattheatre)
    Everyone gets acne it just varies in appearance and the skin condition. Anyway, acne can be gotten rid of by reducing the amount of fatty foods within your diet and living a relatively healthy lifestyle.

NB: Acne happens to everyone and eventually fades with time. As you're only 17 you will have a pretty high level of acne. It will die down with time. Just ensure your diet isn't full of junk food and that you wash your face with a scrub daily.
    Don't you need fats though? And how come acne takes time to go away? Thanks
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Yes you do need fats but you can get these from meat and such like. But a McDonalds or Chicken Wings everyday isn't going to help you at all.

Acne is a hormone based condition and so is raised to a higher level during puberty.

ReputationRep:
    I've had acne since I was 12...sad life of me haha. My skin's rather bad at the moment and I'm not sure why. But when it was clear, I was dieting anyway and I cut bad stuff out of my diet. That along with supplements I'm going to try soon after my exams. After six years, I'm truly fed up
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jack0213123)
    Don't you need fats though? And how come acne takes time to go away? Thanks
    I've heard cases of people who suffered from skin problems eat berries (the fruits) and found that it helps.

I don't suffer from acne, but why not give it a shot?

Get some frozen mixed berries (these in particular because they have many antioxidants and have good natural ingredients in them). Also get some milk and fat free natural yoghurt.

http://www.eatingwell.com/nutrition_...its_of_berries

It might be that your not getting enough nutrients in your body.

It's worth giving it a shot mate

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/f...erry-ice-cream
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    See a dermatologist if it something that is worrying you.

ReputationRep:
    It isn't only westerners that get it, firstly.

Secondly, I used to have bad skin but went on roaccurate and, to be frank, have the best skin in the world...anyway, stop listening to people with coats made of leaves and enough grease in their hair to fry a fish, when they say that all you need to do is spend your life with half tomatoes on your face. Don't listen people who say that in order to make your skin better all you have to do is wipe your face with banana peel for the rest of eternity.

Get yourself down to your gp surgery and ask for a topical lotion such as duac and antibiotic such as erythromycin (spelling?). If they don't work then try something else and push for roaccurate if need be.

ReputationRep:
    I've gotten huge, red swollen spots on my face, neck and jawline since I was in late Primary school. It's not attractive and it makes you feel down sometimes.
    Dieting has never done anything for me personally, but then again, neither has medication! (Trust me, I've had a ton of medication: drying topical solutions, bleaching creams and then antibiotics) Eventually, the medication spirals...

http://www.nhs.uk/medicine-guides/pa...0mg%20capsules

To the point where my dermatologist suggested this. I know people who say it's given them perfect skin with no side effects what-so-ever, but you hear stories of young people getting depression ect. from using this drug.

It's a personal choice, does your acne bother you enough to consider such measures?

ReputationRep:
    Eat healthier, less fatty foods, and wash your face thoroughly on a regular basis. I have far fewer spots since I started using deep-cleansing exfoliating face wipes every morning and night (rather than just splashing on water and rubbing it with a flannel).

ReputationRep:
    only westerners get it? you can't really see it on black people unless you look close and see the bumpy skin... cos they're black duh... but have seen plenty of asians (orientals and indian/other browns) AND arabs with it... anyone can get it.

PS. diet does not affect acne! it is hormonal! you need to see the doc, only that will clear it up unless you want to wait a few years for your hormones to settle down. it's also not to do with cleaning your face. as long as you are clean and hygenic, that's all you can do... these scrubs and acne products do nothing, can even make your skin worse as they are very drying which makes you produce excess sebum.

ReputationRep:
    Apparently changes in the diet can help get rid of medication as foods that raise your GI are bad for you or something, has anyone had any type of experience getting rid of acne without medication and how can I do it?

Any interesting point to note that I read somewhere is that its only westerners that get it.

lol, im male 23 and never had acne until aged 16 , i still have it. not on my face but on my back (commonly reffered to as backne). its not servere nor is it mild , its medium. i have become sick of it as oral tetracylines dont do anything for me , probs cos i always drink tea and milk stops the drug absorption.

the guy who said diet is right, i think a major cause is fatty foods and milk and dairy, everybody is different.

in my opinion the best thing to do is make changes to your lifestyle. change your bedsheets every 3 days, make sure they are washed and bleached before put back on. shower every day and use oxyderm body wash which i got from amazon. small bottle but it works for some not others, and costs 11 pounds.

another alternative i have read thats works wonders , is to use head and shoulders classic clean anti-dandruff shampoo. on your back or body. rub a bit so it lathers up and rub it over your body, it contains an active ingrediant. leave it on for 1 and a half minute and no longer as you dont wana damage your skin, then wash it off. your skin will feel dry. ( these do take about 6 weeks of constant use to take effect).

shower before bed as well if you can. only by increasing your hygene can they go away

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mathperson)
    It isn't only westerners that get it, firstly.

Secondly, I used to have bad skin but went on roaccurate and, to be frank, have the best skin in the world...anyway, stop listening to people with coats made of leaves and enough grease in their hair to fry a fish, when they say that all you need to do is spend your life with half tomatoes on your face. Don't listen people who say that in order to make your skin better all you have to do is wipe your face with banana peel for the rest of eternity.

Get yourself down to your gp surgery and ask for a topical lotion such as duac and antibiotic such as erythromycin (spelling?). If they don't work then try something else and push for roaccurate if need be.
    So you would rather avoid the cause of a problem and your wrong it is only westerners who get acne.

Look at this for example

ReputationRep:
    So you would rather avoid the cause of a problem and your wrong it is only westerners who get acne.

Look at this for example
    The cause of acne is not a bad diet or lack of exercise, nor is it fundamentally bacteria. The cause is over active sebaceous glands and the reason that acne occurs more often than not on the face is because there are more on the facial region. Isotretinoin reduces the activity and changes the shape of sebaceous glands to a normal level.
    I suppose you think that the cause of acne is not enough sprouts, right?

No, it isn't just westerners that get it, at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bellissima)
    only westerners get it? you can't really see it on black people unless you look close and see the bumpy skin... cos they're black duh... but have seen plenty of asians (orientals and indian/other browns) AND arabs with it... anyone can get it.

PS. diet does not affect acne! it is hormonal! you need to see the doc, only that will clear it up unless you want to wait a few years for your hormones to settle down. it's also not to do with cleaning your face. as long as you are clean and hygenic, that's all you can do... these scrubs and acne products do nothing, can even make your skin worse as they are very drying which makes you produce excess sebum.
    You know westerners include black people? It's the western diet that's my point, not peoples country of origin. It is food, going to the doctor does not fix the cause so obviously you don't know but I am not a sheep who believes what others say because science is all about experimentation but also about who has the most money (firms who supply acne medication and pay for the trials to prove they work).

ReputationRep:
    I used to have acne on my forehead, but I followed these simple rules and now I'm basically spot free. Of course I get the odd one here and there, but follow these rules and they go pretty quickly (for me).

1 - never, ever touch your face.
    2 - don't be tempted to squeeze spots. IF you squeeze it, you become the spot's *****, and it ****s your skin up.
    3 - drink loads of water.
    4 - every night before you go to sleep, get a wash cloth and steam your face with the cloth by rinsing it with hot water from the tap and covering your face with it. Steam it about 5 times per night (i.e. run cloth under hot water, wring it so it is semi dry, steam face, rinse under tap to get rid of crap in cloth... repeat), then at the end, give your face a splashing of water and PAT it dry with a towel.
    5 - cut out the crappy food. Want coke? Have water. Want crisps? Make a sandwich with rocket, parma ham, mustard with salt, pepper and a drizzle of olive oil. Want sweets? Have fruit or nuts. The odd treat is fine, but don't make a habit of eating crap on a daily basis.

If a spot appears on your face and you don't like it, you have to suck it up I'm afraid. It will disappear a lot quicker compared to if you give it a dose of your hench finger squeeze.

These are the steps I followed during my 'cleansing' period and I still go by them today. It keeps my skin relatively spot free and it keeps me healthy.

Bonne chance. (P.S. I'm Asian just to let you know... an Asian who hopes to become fluent in French :P)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mathperson)
    The cause of acne is not a bad diet or lack of exercise, nor is it fundamentally bacteria. The cause is over active sebaceous glands and the reason that acne occurs more often than not on the face is because there are more on the facial region. Isotretinoin reduces the activity and changes the shape of sebaceous glands to a normal level.
    I suppose you think that the cause of acne is not enough sprouts, right?

No, it isn't just westerners that get it, at all.
    Your just an idiot and clearly didn't both to even do any research. As a matter of fact changing my diet has cured it, I have dealt with cause whereas you are ****ing up your body and maybe that's why your so stupid.

ReputationRep:
    Your just an idiot and clearly didn't both to even do any research. As a matter of fact changing my diet has cured it, I have dealt with cause whereas you are ****ing up your body and maybe that's why your so stupid.
    Just do my research? You're the one who, to prove your point that only westerners get acne, provided a link to a website written by people who think that the way to clear skin is chewing on nuts. A healthy lifestyle is obviously important for many many reasons, but it won't cure acne. If all you can do is come back and attack me then it shows your level of thought on its own to be honest.

Anyway, you said to another user just a few posts above how you believe that scientific evidence is important. I do too. So I encourage the op to go to the gp and get proper help, and after just a couple of months to come back and tell us which is better - medication or banana peel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamboogy)
    I used to have acne on my forehead, but I followed these simple rules and now I'm basically spot free. Of course I get the odd one here and there, but follow these rules and they go pretty quickly (for me).

1 - never, ever touch your face.
    2 - don't be tempted to squeeze spots. IF you squeeze it, you become the spot's *****, and it ****s your skin up.
    3 - drink loads of water.
    4 - every night before you go to sleep, get a wash cloth and steam your face with the cloth by rinsing it with hot water from the tap and covering your face with it. Steam it about 5 times per night (i.e. run cloth under hot water, wring it so it is semi dry, steam face, rinse under tap to get rid of crap in cloth... repeat), then at the end, give your face a splashing of water and PAT it dry with a towel.
    5 - cut out the crappy food. Want coke? Have water. Want crisps? Make a sandwich with rocket, parma ham, mustard with salt, pepper and a drizzle of olive oil. Want sweets? Have fruit or nuts. The odd treat is fine, but don't make a habit of eating crap on a daily basis.

If a spot appears on your face and you don't like it, you have to suck it up I'm afraid. It will disappear a lot quicker compared to if you give it a dose of your hench finger squeeze.

These are the steps I followed during my 'cleansing' period and I still go by them today. It keeps my skin relatively spot free and it keeps me healthy.

Bonne chance. (P.S. I'm Asian just to let you know... an Asian who hopes to become fluent in French :P)
    What I meant is it's the western diet that causes acne. But your advice is what I was looking for and very relevant. I too have found changes in a diet useful and it's interesting you have found that too even though people say diet isn't a cause. It's so hard giving up junk don't you think? When I stopped I noticed how much my mind wants to eat haha

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.