Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is possible to get rid of acne without medication? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mathperson)
    Just do my research? You're the one who, to prove your point that only westerners get acne, provided a link to a website written by people who think that the way to clear skin is chewing on nuts. A healthy lifestyle is obviously important for many many reasons, but it won't cure acne. If all you can do is come back and attack me then it shows your level of thought on its own to be honest.

Anyway, you said to another user just a few posts above how you believe that scientific evidence is important. I do too. So I encourage the op to go to the gp and get proper help, and after just a couple of months to come back and tell us which is better - medication or banana peel.
    Well what about this http://news.menshealth.com/5-hidden-...es/2011/08/29/ medication is just a cop out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jack0213123)
    What I meant is it's the western diet that causes acne. But your advice is what I was looking for and very relevant. I too have found changes in a diet useful and it's interesting you have found that too even though people say diet isn't a cause. It's so hard giving up junk don't you think? When I stopped I noticed how much my mind wants to eat haha
    Meh, junk is nice but it's never that good. I love fruit and nuts anyway (nuts are a good source of protein), and I love my cooking so making a sandwich isn't a problem for me .

After a while you'll get used to eating healthy and you should learn to love it (hopefully at least haha).

Try and stick to a routine. Hopefully you'll reap the same benefits I did.

ReputationRep:
    Well what about this http://news.menshealth.com/5-hidden-...es/2011/08/29/ medication is just a cop out
    Mate, I'm just trying to help you.

You posted about how to get rid of acne. I've told you.
    I have fantastic skin, so whether you decide to listen to my advice isn't going to effect me, it's just that I spent a lot of time before I went on roaccurate trying natural treatments and over the counter products until I found roaccurate which for serious/tough acne is the only thing that will work - I guarantee it.

Best of luck with what ever road you choose to go down.

ReputationRep:
    Mate, I'm just trying to help you.

You posted about how to get rid of acne. I've told you.
    I have fantastic skin, so whether you decide to listen to my advice isn't going to effect me, it's just that I spent a lot of time before I went on roaccurate trying natural treatments and over the counter products until I found roaccurate which for serious/tough acne is the only thing that will work - I guarantee it.

Best of luck with what ever road you choose to go down.
    I am not on about putting weird crap on your face I am not a hippie. I just don't like the idea of unnecessary medicines. I have had some success with changing my diet, did you try that? Like cut out milk, sugar, refined food etc.

ReputationRep:
    I am not on about putting weird crap on your face I am not a hippie. I just don't like the idea of unnecessary medicines. I have had some success with changing my diet, did you try that? Like cut out milk, sugar, refined food etc.
    I did yeah, all of that stuff. Made no difference for me.

ReputationRep:
    I did yeah, all of that stuff. Made no difference for me.
    What about vitamin D, did you add healthy things in? It's just all I have changed is my diet and I am recovering.

ReputationRep:
    What about vitamin D, did you add healthy things in? It's just all I have changed is my diet and I am recovering.
    Yeah, I tried cutting things out, vitamins etc etc Ottawa products...as I said. There is only one thing that will sort acne out once and for all and I hope you find it.

Best.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I tried cutting things out, vitamins etc etc Ottawa products...as I said. There is only one thing that will sort acne out once and for all and I hope you find it.

Best.
    Do you not think it was the diet then for me as it has mainly gone now?

ReputationRep:
    I personally found washing my face with the Simple spotless face wash (whatever it's called) instead of soap pretty helpful. It hasn't gone away completely but it's normally hardly noticeable now

ReputationRep:
    Your just an idiot and clearly didn't both to even do any research. As a matter of fact changing my diet has cured it, I have dealt with cause whereas you are ****ing up your body and maybe that's why your so stupid.
    No, you're an idiot. The person you quoted had it spot on (pun not intended). I've been to see at least 4 dermatologists during my teenage years and all of them have agreed that diet has no role in acne whatsoever. It's all down to hormonal imbalances. End of.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scott129)
    No, you're an idiot. The person you quoted had it spot on (pun not intended). I've been to see at least 4 dermatologists during my teenage years and all of them have agreed that diet has no role in acne whatsoever. It's all down to hormonal imbalances. End of.
    So why has it worked for me and this other guy in the thread, why does mens health link other causes? Your the idiot who just believes anything without listening to his body. Is that ok mr ginger?

ReputationRep:
    Do you not think it was the diet then for me as it has mainly gone now?
    I cannot possibly know, we're talking aver an Internet forum and I've never met you, nor am I a qualified dermatologist - I'm just sharing my experience and limited knowledge.

All I can and will say is to be careful and take advice that advises you to stop using topical/oral medication with a pinch of salt because the truth is, to be blunt, that's its just mainly from people who want you to live like they do rather than people who actually know what they are talking about on even a small level.

Best.

ReputationRep:
    I cannot possibly know, we're talking aver an Internet forum and I've never met you, nor am I a qualified dermatologist - I'm just sharing my experience and limited knowledge.

All I can and will say is to be careful and take advice that advises you to stop using topical/oral medication with a pinch of salt because the truth is, to be blunt, that's its just mainly from people who want you to live like they do rather than people who actually know what they are talking about on even a small level.

Best.
    I suppose but mens health does seem like a good source

ReputationRep:
    I've had really bad acne ever since the age of around 12/13 and right now i'm 20 and it still hasn't gone away. Although it is a little better than when i was 15/16 when i had it real bad. :ashamed2:
    I've been through many medications and creams such as Duac cream, had several courses of minocycline, then i've been on roaccutane/isotretinoin 3 times as well and it still hasn't cured my acne. Although, on my first course of roaccutane/isotretinoin i couldn't make the second hospital appointment to receive the other half of the supply due to exams. So i was without the drug for around 2 months until they could give me another appointment. I think this messed me up big time as they always say to complete the full course with antibiotics and this gave the acne bacteria the chance to develop resistance to the roaccutane/isotretinoin antibiotics which meant it wasn't that effective anymore.

The bottom line is that i'm in my 20s now and i still suffer from acne and have those horrible break outs of the cystic acne sort, with the huge swollen lumps on your face and back. Unfortunately, it hasn't gone away yet although on the bright side it is a little better than what it was a few years ago, as i guess acne does slowly die away as you mature and get older. However, my experience of acne has left horrible scars and marks on my face and back some of which i doubt will ever fade away... :sad:

For those of you also suffering from acne i can honestly empathise with you and really hope it gets better for you.

ReputationRep:
    So why has it worked for me and this other guy in the thread, why does mens health link other causes? Your the idiot who just believes anything without listening to his body. Is that ok mr ginger?
    I imagine yours was purely coincidence. You grew out of it just at the time you cut all the crap out your diet. And that Men's Health link is a ****ing ridiculous article. I'd rather listen to a qualified medical professional than some lazy journalist who nitpicks medical journals, ignoring the probable countless others that disagree with their points. It doesn't even give a link to the original journal.
    Real mature by the way mate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mattheatre)
    Everyone gets acne it just varies in appearance and the skin condition. Anyway, acne can be gotten rid of by reducing the amount of fatty foods within your diet and living a relatively healthy lifestyle.

NB: Acne happens to everyone and eventually fades with time. As you're only 17 you will have a pretty high level of acne. It will die down with time. Just ensure your diet isn't full of junk food and that you wash your face with a scrub daily.
    1) Not everyone gets ACNE
    2) There is no proven link between diet and ACNE

ReputationRep:
    You may have already tried this, and depending how bad your acne is, but to reduce redness you could try dabbing a bit of sudocrem over any breakouts before you got to bed and by morning they should see an improvement. It's not a definite but it works for me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Apparently changes in the diet can help get rid of medication as foods that raise your GI are bad for you or something, has anyone had any type of experience getting rid of acne without medication and how can I do it?

Any interesting point to note that I read somewhere is that its only westerners that get it.
    Yes and no.
    Having a low fat diet with little **** in eg. snacks, sugar etc, and having good skin routine such as washing with good scrubs AND moisturising can help, but the problem may purely be hormonal so it might do very little.

ReputationRep:
    You know westerners include black people? It's the western diet that's my point, not peoples country of origin. It is food, going to the doctor does not fix the cause so obviously you don't know but I am not a sheep who believes what others say because science is all about experimentation but also about who has the most money (firms who supply acne medication and pay for the trials to prove they work).
    no that is wrong, i have seen people in africa with acne, and india. and DEFINITELY people from japan with acne.

fine believe that if you want, it doesn't affect me, going to the doctor CAN fix it. i admit it's easier if you're a girl as they can get to the root of the problem (ie. hormones) with the pill...

lol as for the rest, personal experience and also seeing others speaks volumes to me. i used to have acne till i went on the pill. my friend had severe acne, and it cleared up after she went on roaccutane.

i had an excellent diet, thanks to health obsessed parents, also did A LOT of sport, didn't stop me having acne.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say it's possible to get completely rid of it especially if your acne is hormonal. I have acne which is very embarassing but it has reduced after I changed to natural skincare products and changed my diet. Doctors say that diet doesn't have an impact on acne - i'm sure you've heard over and over that chocolate can't cause acne. But diet has more of an influence than some may think. I try to eat healthily most of the time. I actually don't eat any dairy because that contains hormones in itself and is quite fatty and sugary, but go to a doctor if you want to give up dairy and they will give you advice, because you will need to replace calcium and vitamin D, etc. They may refer you to a dietician. Also I eat salads almost every day in a sandwich like tuna/salmon/houmous/anything else with lettuce, red onion, 2 different colours of peppers cut into strips, black olives, spinach and watercress. Red onion detoxifies the body (Though it really does make your breath smell for a while), and peppers contain very high vitamin C, apparantly more than oranges. Also every so often have either sweet potato or carrots because they contain vitamin A which apparantly is very good for the skin. You can boil a sweet potato and mash it and have it alongside meat or whatever or you can bake it and fill it with something healthy. Eat more fish too like cod and salmon because they are oily which is also good for the skin. The diet hasn't cured my acne but it has helped reduce it. I hope this helps a little. Pm if you have any questions.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.