Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Which side are you on? Watch

• View Poll Results: Who do you think is right?
    The school
    64.56%
    The parents
    14.56%
    The parents are right but should not have sued
    16.46%
    Undecided
    4.43%

• Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    Muslim couple sue school who banned their nine-year-old daughter from wearing a hijab

Are you on the side of the school or the parents? Why?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-teachers.html

ReputationRep:
    Need more information. Could you provide a link?

Edit: I'm on the school's side. The fact that they were informed about the school's policy and it's a Christian school... Seems to me it's the parents fault this time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _-_Ella_-_)
    Muslim couple sue school who banned their nine-year-old daughter from wearing a hijab

The school. The parents are being self centred and only thinking about their own immediate needs rather than the detrimental effect that suing the school could have on the pupils at the school.

ReputationRep:
    The girl, I don't see anything wrong with wearing a hijab.

(Original post by insignificant)
    The school. The parents are being self centred and only thinking about their own immediate needs rather than the detrimental effect that suing the school could have on the pupils at the school.
    The school should have thought about the detrimental effects on the girl for being kicked out over wearing a hijab. That girl probably had to go through humility and shame over being kicked out of a school for such a petty reason, and at the age of 9, that could have an effect on her for years after this incident.

Her parents are justified in suing the school.

ReputationRep:
    The girl.

She wasn't harming anyone.

The school is harming someone.

ReputationRep:
    They wont let her wear the headscarf? why not??!

ReputationRep:

I'm not really on either side. The school shouldn't have banned her wearing it as long as it was plain black or went with the uniform. Most schools don't allow students to wear patterned or brightly coloured coats so why should that be any different. I think it's a bit extreme suing the school though and it seems like they're after publicity and money. The money has to come from somewhere and is most likely to end up having an effect on the students there.

EDIT- I read that it is a Christian school. If it is this case I'm thinking of then I'm with the school. Nine years old is quite young to make a decision on whether or not she wants to wear a hijab.

ReputationRep:
    The school.

I assume this is the St Cyprian’s Greek Orthodox Primary School story.

It has a dress code. The parents were made aware of this when their children started at the school.

It's also a faith school. If they're that concerned about their daughter 'sinning' by not wearing a hijab (as they are, according to the story), why send her to a Greek Orthodox faith school with daily Christian prayers in Greek and where (according to the Department for Children, Schools and Families' publication 'Faith in the System') , 'the Christian Greek Orthodox ethos pervades all areas of school life'.

It just seems a little odd to take so much interest in this issue of their faith yet they seem happy to send their child to a school based around an entirely different one. Not saying that faith schools should be limited to intake from their own religion only (I'm not really a fan of faith schools at all, but while they exist they should take in anyone), but if someone is so concerned as to sue a school I would assume a stricter adherence in daily life, including not sending their child to an opposing faith's school...

ReputationRep:
    The school. They have uniform rules, everyone should follow them or it really defeats the purpose of rules. 9 years old is also pretty young to make an informed decision about religion hence wearing a headscarf is probably forced mostly due to the parents. When she gets older and goes to university there are fewer restrictions, no uniform etc (because she's old enough to make choices for herself.) what we have to remember is that there's a reason schools have uniforms.

ReputationRep:
    Suing the school? What an absolute **** move by the parents.:congrats:

To be totally fair though, the school should let her wear the headscarf - banning it is only asking for trouble.

ReputationRep:
    Neither.

The school should have just let her wear it.
    The parents shouldn't have sued the school.

ReputationRep:
    If it's part of her religion then yes she should be allowed to wear the Hijab but suing the school is just ridiculous. They must see that the money is coming from the tax payer and it's not like we're rolling in it as a country. Idiots.

ReputationRep:
    School,I don't like any kind of pandering to religious freaks. Especially those religious people from immigrant communities.

ReputationRep:
    What's the school's problem? Really?

If they're trying to protect us from religious expression, then why the frick don't we just burn down all the churches, synagogues, mosques and cathedrals too?

Coming from a solid atheist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Guills on wheels)
    Coming from a solid atheist.
    You'd never have known

I agree though, it's double standards, Catholics wear crosses, Muslims wear hijabs. They're both expressing their religion but in different way why should one be allowed and one not?

ReputationRep:
    If it's a school of any other religion, then the school every time.

If the school is in fact a Greek Orthodox school, then the parents agreed for their daughter to go there.

I despise how people think they have the right to bend or break rules simply because of their religion.

If I was to create a religion that states it's okay to steal, could you sue the government if they sent you to jail for it?

'My religion states it's okay, so your rules mean nothing to me, I'm just going to sue you.'

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamHedges)
    You'd never have known

I agree though, it's double standards, Catholics wear crosses, Muslims wear hijabs. They're both expressing their religion but in different way why should one be allowed and one not?
    Sorry for the double post.

Perhaps it's because a simple cross can fit under a top.

I'm also atheist.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Could've done a poll for this.

ReputationRep:
    The outside.

ReputationRep:
    I guess I side with the parents. Everyone's different... so why should she be discriminated for it?
    If that's the case then Christian children shouldn't be allowed to express their religion through wearing a cross around their necks in the form of a necklace.
    We're a multi-racial country and it's the 21st century, society needs to learn to accept that!
    I was raised under the Church of England but I have no belief in God. Yet I don't mind people having faith. Being different is good, the girl should be allowed to wear it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.