Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I'm visiting Welbeck in February, and am worried about the selection and fitness. What happens on the tour day? If you have any tips that would be great.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wheea001)
    Hi,
    I'm visiting Welbeck in February, and am worried about the selection and fitness. What happens on the tour day? If you have any tips that would be great.
    On the Welbeck your day you arrive and you go into the hall. You all sit down and you are told a bit about Welbeck etc then you all get split into groups. Eac group goes off with one Welbeck upper 6th student. There are about 5 people in a group (not including the parents). You get a tour of the school with that Welbeck student and you have the chance to ask any other questions you may like.
    What armed force are you applying through? I applied through RAF last year and completely OASC in Cranwell but failed my pressups badly and wasn't excepted into Welbeck.
    If you have any questions or want any advice just ask.

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I did my AOSB in july 2012, and got in to Welbeck and am currently studying there. If anyone wants any help or info just inbox me I'd be happy to help.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Matilda, I'm also applying for Welbeck on the July board (For the Army), I have got past my initial meeting and have yet to receive dates to go to fill in my actual Welbeck apllication form. I just would like to know:
    1. When do we do the physical test?
    2. What is the formal interview with Army careers advisor like? Can I need to prepare in any way?
    3. What sort of questions do they ask you in the AOSB interview? How can I prepare for it?
    4. How did you prepare for the physical test? (I have got my own workout routine but I was just wondering if I could improve on it in anyway!)
    5. Any tips at all for any preparation or my general conduct on the AOSB weekend?
    Thanks! And sorry that there are so many questions!

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm applying for Welbeck through the RAF, my interview is in a couple of weeks and I don't know what to expect. If anyone has any advice that could help me it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying for Welbeck on the July board (For the Army), I have got past my initial meeting and have yet to receive dates to go to fill in my actual Welbeck apllication form. I just would like to know:
    2. What is the formal interview with Army careers advisor like? Can I prepare in any way?
    3. What sort of questions do they ask you in the AOSB interview? How can I prepare for it?
    4. How did you prepare for the physical test? (I have got my own workout routine but I was just wondering if I could improve on it in anyway! it would be particularly good if anyone can tell me a good press up routine!)
    5. For the July board, when will the weekends range from? (What months?)
    6. Any tips at all for any preparation or my general conduct on the AOSB weekend?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom Gilbert)
    I'm applying for Welbeck on the July board (For the Army), I have got past my initial meeting and have yet to receive dates to go to fill in my actual Welbeck apllication form. I just would like to know:
    2. What is the formal interview with Army careers advisor like? Can I prepare in any way?
    4. How did you prepare for the physical test? (I have got my own workout routine but I was just wondering if I could improve on it in anyway! it would be particularly good if anyone can tell me a good press up routine!)
    5. For the July board, when will the weekends range from? (What months?)
    6. Any tips at all for any preparation or my general conduct on the AOSB weekend?
    Hi Tom,
    As an army student, your only physical tests before joining will be a bleep test on your selection board, as well as press ups and sit ups and an assault course. The minimum requirements will be outlined to you before attending your board.
    While at welbeck you will be required to pass 3 fitness tests a year - one in each term consisting of press ups, sit ups and a 2.4km run. They have just got rid of the progressional fitness standards so they now expect the same fitness from LVI as the UVI.
    For males this is a sub 10:30 run, 44 pressups, and 50 sit ups. For females it is a sub 13:00 minute run, 22 pressups and 50 sit-ups.
    To prepare, just practise! You can find fitness programmes designed to help you pass these tests on your selected forces websites.

Providing you pass the necessary interview before you are recommended to sit your AOSB, Your July board will usually take place in the first 2 or 3 weeks of the month as they set aside this time for welbeck students only. You will find out if you are successful usually a week after the last board.
    As I am an RN student, I know a lot more about AIB than AOSB but I know for army students they ask a lot less detail about the service (for example you probably won't be asked about the small details such as what weapons systems are used and where, or the displacement of a ship). They ask army students more about current affairs and their personal lives to sum you up as a person. So watch the news, read the papers, and prepare for questions such as times you've shown good leadership. The important thing is to be confident and be honest. Don't bull**** them with answers they want to hear if it is t true. They want to test your motivation for being there, they'll see through it if its not true!

Any more questions, drop me a message

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi Spudnickles,
    I didn't know about the bleep test, consequently do you know anyway I can prepare for this? As I have been preparing for a 1.5 mile run for months, unfortunately I am a good long distance runner, in fact I just did 1.5 miles in 8:30 mins today, however I am not a good sprinter. I have since found out what I need to know for the interview: what you said and specific details of the Corps I want to join.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    if you work out a distance (not sure of the distance you'll have to google) between two houses on the street, in your garden, or something similiar and practice running back and forth, each time getting quicker. found this one and despite the aussie accent it's pretty good- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0U_yQITBks
    if you're good at long distance though you dont have to worry as it is testing your fitness levels
    that's what i've been doing anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom Gilbert)
    Hi Spudnickles,
    I didn't know about the bleep test, consequently do you know anyway I can prepare for this? As I have been preparing for a 1.5 mile run for months, unfortunately I am a good long distance runner, in fact I just did 1.5 miles in 8:30 mins today, however I am not a good sprinter. I have since found out what I need to know for the interview: what you said and specific details of the Corps I want to join.
    Thanks
    Hi Tom,
    8:30? Sweet!
    Your bleep test shouldn't be that hard, I believe there is a downloadable audio file on the Army website if you wanted to practise. Just find somewhere flat and mark out 2 spots 20 meters apart. It takes literally 15 minutes to do.
    I did mine in a local park between two spray painted lines so it's definitely possible!

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    i'm going for my aib in july is anyone else on here?

ReputationRep:
    Hey, i am too! i am going 7th-10th what about you?? whihc branch are you applying through?

ReputationRep:
    same here 8th to 10th Navy!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spudnickles)
    Hi Tom,
    As an army student
    I see you may be studying at Welbeck, so i wonder whether you could answer these questions for me about the AOSB.

1) what clothing should i take (a full list, the email i recieved didn't give a great amount of information)
    2) it says to turn up in presentable clothing, does this mean my suit or just a shirt and tie?
    3) I have been told there will be a 0.8km warm up followed by a 2.4km run, do you know the amount of time between the two or whether it is one straight after the other
    4) anything in particular you would prepare for which came as a surprise when you took part (meaning they did not tell you about this before the AOSB)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wheea001)
    same here 8th to 10th Navy!
    They were my dates last year!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adamlk172)
    3) I have been told there will be a 0.8km warm up followed by a 2.4km run, do you know the amount of time between the two or whether it is one straight after the other
    i didn't know about this! i thought they were for sandhurst applicants?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lrockyy)
    i didn't know about this! i thought they were for sandhurst applicants?!
    well we are going to sandhurst after university if we go to welbeck aren't we? and i got an email telling me that would be in there

ReputationRep:
    There seems to be some confusion here, the only service to make you run a 2.4km PFA before your entrance to Welbeck is the RN, all other services (including RN) make you complete a bleep test on your respective officer board to standard specified by each service.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    There seems to be some confusion here, the only service to make you run a 2.4km PFA before your entrance to Welbeck is the RN, all other services (including RN) make you complete a bleep test on your respective officer board to standard specified by each service.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I would like to add that regardless of what service you are applying for, your AFCO may make you do a 2.4km PFA before they forward your application. I had to do one for my AFCO then I had to do a bleep test as well at OASC.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    so the army applicants only have to do a bleep test?
    how far do we have to get?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 25, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.