Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Just Purchased the PS3 Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi there fellow students, I have just purchased the PS3, it is to arrive on Monday.
    I would like to ask what games would you recommend on one getting?

Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    you are a tiny bit late! considering this gen is at its peak... any ways
    God of war
    uncharted
    heavy rain
    gran turismo
    motor storm
    killzone 3
    little big planet
    resistance
    ratchet and clank

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TanveerSFC)
    God of war
    uncharted
    heavy rain
    gran turismo
    motor storm
    killzone 3
    little big planet
    resistance
    ratchet and clank
    Yh dude, have a 360 and just thought I should purchase the PS3

Sweet! Thanks for the list dude. Definetely looking forward to playing GOW

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude6230)
    Yh dude, have a 360 and just thought I should purchase the PS3

Sweet! Thanks for the list dude. Definetely looking forward to playing GOW
    Farcry 3 sold out across my home city over christmas, I think it's doing fairly well

Gran Turismo is also good if you enjoy racing games.

ReputationRep:
    God of war
    uncharted
    heavy rain
    gran turismo
    motor storm
    killzone 3
    little big planet
    resistance
    ratchet and clank
    Surely if it's at its peak, then it's the best time to buy?

PS4/ 720 won't be out until late 2013/ early 2014. Plenty of time to enjoy all of the best games from this gen and avoid all the **** that the rest of us had to wade through waiting for good games to come out.

Anyway, good list.

EDIT: Ooh ooh! MGS4!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude6230)
    Hi there fellow students, I have just purchased the PS3, it is to arrive on Monday.
    I would like to ask what games would you recommend on one getting?

Thanks in advance.
    Congrats, you now own the best console currently available.

Ignore these 'generalised' lists that people give you. Buy the games that you genuinely want to play, don't just go off critical acclaim. For example, you don't need to play Heavy Rain just because people say its a masterpiece, if you like the look of it then go ahead and get it.

However, I would say the Uncharted and inFamous series are the best exclusives that I would recommend trying out. MGS4 is also exceptional if you like that kind of thing.

ReputationRep:
    Depends what you're in to? :dontknow: Is there any genre you dislike?

ReputationRep:
    Surely that's the perfect time to buy the console?

You have access to all the great games that have previously been released for the console, the majority of them are not new games and so are cheaper to buy, and so you essentially have no wait at all for great games and have to spend less to buy them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fudgemuffins)

Ignore these 'generalised' lists that people give you. Buy the games that you genuinely want to play, don't just go off critical acclaim. For example, you don't need to play Heavy Rain just because people say its a masterpiece, if you like the look of it then go ahead and get it.

However, I would say the Uncharted and inFamous series are the best exclusives that I would recommend trying out. MGS4 is also exceptional if you like that kind of thing.
    Apart from the obvious 'big games' it is all about what you like, perhaps consider downloading some demos off the PSS so you can get a taste of what you might like

ReputationRep:
    It could also be worth considering Playstation Plus; for an annual fee of around £40 you can download full games as part of the "Instant Game Collection".

Some current titles you can get are:

- Bioshock 2
    - Vanquish
    - Ratchet & Clank 4
    - Little Big Planet 2
    - Infamous 2
    - Lego Batman
    - Motorstorm Apocalypse
    - Mortal Kombat

Once a member, you can download all of these games completely for free, and you can play them as long as you're a PS+ member. There are also new games added every couple of weeks.

This might depend on how much hard drive space you've got on your PS3, but it's a great way to (for the price of one normal game!) get stuck in with a load of great titles, with new ones to download every couple of weeks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fudgemuffins)

Thanks for the answer. Appreciate it. Yes, I agree, buying a game that I would enjoy is definitely best. I literally, just moments ago, remembered and was talking about the game Infamous and how I wanted to play it when it was out, unfortunetely didn't have the PS3, but now I do
    I am open to anything, and can't wait to start playing on it. Cheers again for the response

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noggins)
    Depends what you're in to? :dontknow: Is there any genre you dislike?
    Well, I don't exactly have dislikes...I guess I never really played rpg, except for Kingdom Hearts 1 & 2. Never really owned FPS too, have played them though in friends places. I like fighting, action, adventure, free-roam and planning on purchasing some FPS games too, to get into it...But yh, I'm open to anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinda.college)
    Apart from the obvious 'big games' it is all about what you like, perhaps consider downloading some demos off the PSS so you can get a taste of what you might like
    Thanks bud, that is a great idea actually

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StuAndMma)
    It could also be worth considering Playstation Plus; for an annual fee of around £40 you can download full games as part of the "Instant Game Collection".

Some current titles you can get are:

- Bioshock 2
    - Vanquish
    - Ratchet & Clank 4
    - Little Big Planet 2
    - Infamous 2
    - Lego Batman
    - Motorstorm Apocalypse
    - Mortal Kombat

Once a member, you can download all of these games completely for free, and you can play them as long as you're a PS+ member. There are also new games added every couple of weeks.

This might depend on how much hard drive space you've got on your PS3, but it's a great way to (for the price of one normal game!) get stuck in with a load of great titles, with new ones to download every couple of weeks!
    Thanks for the titles...I remember seeing the trailer of little big planet on tv, I know some people who are fond of it and others not...did/do you enjoy the gameplay?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    It's got to be GTA.

ReputationRep:
    I would recommend a majority of the exclusive games such as GoW, Killzone etc, you can pick them up dirt cheap brand new or at CEX so no excuse not to play some amazing games!

Also let's not forget MGS4 that is my personal favorite!

p.s. I also love some of the retro collections you can get, it's nice to revive that nostalgia

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TwilightKnight)
    Surely if it's at its peak, then it's the best time to buy?

PS4/ 720 won't be out until late 2013/ early 2014. Plenty of time to enjoy all of the best games from this gen and avoid all the **** that the rest of us had to wade through waiting for good games to come out.

Anyway, good list.

EDIT: Ooh ooh! MGS4!
    Im a feature in MGS4!

ReputationRep:
    Warhawk from PS store is a classic must have

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by raiden95)
    Warhawk from PS store is a classic must have
    Definitely a great game, had so many hours of fun on it!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ± Dan ±)
    Definitely a great game, had so many hours of fun on it!!
    Did you play it back in the old days, if so you would be surprised which clan I'm the leader of

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.