Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Just Purchased the PS3 Watch

ReputationRep:
    Lol say bye to your college/school/Uni work, also the consoles are not very good I'd recommed pc gaming, you can have a medium build for 300 quid .
    But if you ain't got the money for a proper 1000 then I'd PS3 is good even though Xbox 360 is much better :P
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Architecture-er)
    Farcry 3 sold out across my home city over christmas, I think it's doing fairly well

Gran Turismo is also good if you enjoy racing games.
    I second this, Gran Turismo is one of the best racing games out there on the PS3, in fact it is, can't think of other good ones.

It requires good skill to post fast laps consistently, but it's really fun online, try getting in a group of friends that race clean. There's so much fun to be had!

ReputationRep:
    Uncharted 2
    Red Dead Redemption
    Assassin's Creed (I didn't like it but if you're in to that sort of thing, plus the graphics are good)

I have just started to play Heavy Rain so can't make a fair judgement of it
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StuAndMma)
    It could also be worth considering Playstation Plus; for an annual fee of around £40 you can download full games as part of the "Instant Game Collection".

Some current titles you can get are:

- Bioshock 2
    - Vanquish
    - Ratchet & Clank 4
    - Little Big Planet 2
    - Infamous 2
    - Lego Batman
    - Motorstorm Apocalypse
    - Mortal Kombat

Once a member, you can download all of these games completely for free, and you can play them as long as you're a PS+ member. There are also new games added every couple of weeks.

This might depend on how much hard drive space you've got on your PS3, but it's a great way to (for the price of one normal game!) get stuck in with a load of great titles, with new ones to download every couple of weeks!
    For a new PS3 owner, I'd definitely agree with this :yep: A one-year Playstation Plus subscription is currently discounted, so you can get it for £29.99 - but only until 9 January.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Illusionary)
    For a new PS3 owner, I'd definitely agree with this :yep: A one-year Playstation Plus subscription is currently discounted, so you can get it for £29.99 - but only until 9 January.
    Thanks for the heads up. Appreciate it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James A)
    I second this, Gran Turismo is one of the best racing games out there on the PS3, in fact it is, can't think of other good ones.

It requires good skill to post fast laps consistently, but it's really fun online, try getting in a group of friends that race clean. There's so much fun to be had!
    Sweet. Will check it out, looks very real from what I've seen so far.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ± Dan ±)
    I would recommend a majority of the exclusive games such as GoW, Killzone etc, you can pick them up dirt cheap brand new or at CEX so no excuse not to play some amazing games!

Also let's not forget MGS4 that is my personal favorite!

p.s. I also love some of the retro collections you can get, it's nice to revive that nostalgia
    Thanks dude. Lol, I'll get some "amazing games" no problem dude

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude6230)
    Hi there fellow students, I have just purchased the PS3, it is to arrive on Monday.
    I would like to ask what games would you recommend on one getting?

Thanks in advance.
    Well if you wanna play online then the good games are quite obvious: Call of duty, Fifa, Battlefield, etc.

But some PS3 games are even better to play in story mode and a prime example is metal gear solid 4: guns of the patriots.

luckily for you that game is now a lot cheaper than it was during its release, I remember paying 60 dollars for mine lol. However the online mode for that has been taken down to prepare for the release of the new metal gear game coming out this summer.

Other noteworthy single player games are:
    Uncharted
    Batman: Arkham city
    Little big planet
    Heavenly sword
    God of War 3
    Killzone 3
    Resistance: burning skies

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gijops)
    Well if you wanna play online then the good games are quite obvious: Call of duty, Fifa, Battlefield, etc.

But some PS3 games are even better to play in story mode and a prime example is metal gear solid 4: guns of the patriots.

luckily for you that game is now a lot cheaper than it was during its release, I remember paying 60 dollars for mine lol. However the online mode for that has been taken down to prepare for the release of the new metal gear game coming out this summer.

Other noteworthy single player games are:
    Uncharted
    Batman: Arkham city
    Little big planet
    Heavenly sword
    God of War 3
    Killzone 3
    Resistance: burning skies
    Thanks for the list bud. Oh, didn't know there'll be another MGS game...
    Would you say Heavenly Sword is the female version of GOW?
    That's what I remember thinking back when it was first introduced
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Sweet. Will check it out, looks very real from what I've seen so far.
    hook it up to a full hd tv and you will not stop smiling!

Let me know your playstation network name (once you make it) so I can add you there.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the list bud. Oh, didn't know there'll be another MGS game...
    Would you say Heavenly Sword is the female version of GOW?
    That's what I remember thinking back when it was first introduced
    Lol yea I'd say that analogy is quite accurate although the lead protagonist is like the only female in that game, It was also one of those '07 titles that came out soon after the PS3 debut so developers put a lot of work in it to show customers the capabilities of the seventh generation. Games released a few years later (mostly in 2009) lost the incentive to try as hard which is why the best PS3 games are either quite new or very old.

ReputationRep:
    hook it up to a full hd tv and you will not stop smiling!

Let me know your playstation network name (once you make it) so I can add you there.
    Yh, no problem, just remind me (by messaging me or something) as the PS3 will arrive during the week. You mean, add me on the PS3 right?
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Yh, no problem, just remind me (by messaging me or something) as the PS3 will arrive during the week. You mean, add me on the PS3 right?
    :yep:

ReputationRep:
    A few of these, such as Journey, are only available through PS store.

Dark Souls/Demon Souls
    Uncharted series
    Vanquish
    Heavy Rain
    Starhawk
    MGS 4
    Twisted Metal
    Gran Turismo 5
    Siren: Blood Curse
    Journey
    Disgaea 4
    Fuel
    Payday: The Heist
    Valkyria Chronicles
    Spec Ops: The Line
    Wipeout HD
    Yakuza series
    Infamous 1 & 2
    The Darkness 1 & 2

ReputationRep:
    lol sweet. pm like i said before

ReputationRep:
    Hi there fellow students, I have just purchased the PS3, it is to arrive on Monday.
    I would like to ask what games would you recommend on one getting?

Thanks in advance.
    Red Dead Redemption is one of the only games worth getting a console for. Get it. Also Uncharted, that's worth it. An when it comes out, GTA V. You should only get PS3/console exclusive games on the PS3, for the rest get them on PC.

ReputationRep:
    Or i'll just pm you

ReputationRep:
    Whilst it is really down to what you want to play, I really would recommend the Uncharted series. It's a brilliant, possibly the best, example of what can be done with the PS3 when game developers are actually willing to put a bit of effort in. The gameplay is actually interesting, the graphics are stunning, the characters are well thought out...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.