Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

need advice !! Watch

Announcements

sorry posted in relationships
    hi i made an outside deal with someone from ebay and purchased a i phone 5 fot 180. i usually do outside deals as i can get a better deal and usually it works out ok for both of us. however, the problem lies in the fact that i usually make payments as goods purchased except, the seller wanted it done as personal which i was skeptical about and made it clear to him, that i was worried he would not send it. i eventually did pay as he requested and the paypal fees were deducted from my side. so 187 in total, at this point i wasnt concerned.

i should recieve the phone as he asked, after payment for my address and a day later, messaged to say that his wife sent it cause he was ill.
    my concern is that he has listed another one , in a different colour and with the exact same description.

"phone has been braught in auction, and was not working, i have no knowledge of phones therefore dont know about inner components." at the end he states that its not to be returned and payment can be made via personal paypal. (which he added new) also "the phone does not work and has no working parts" the above quote which i saw has concerned me into thinking he may send an empty shell. screen lcd, and phone backplate.

i suppose you can say its my fault for being so trustworthy and naive, but i suggested the outside transaction, and it never caused me problems. i do have the conversation over email, but i dont think paypal will carry out a chargeback.

would barclays visa card carry out a chargeback as, paypal withdrew money from my account? if anyone can give me advice into this if i was to be scammed.

i could always put the phone in a live auction as seen and it will get 300 minimum easy, but i dont want to pass it along, and will still feel robbed.

as far as tracking the guy down ( his address), i can probs do that , will take no longer than 30 mins on the internet. eg free directories and phone book numbers.

of course it could be me being a pussycat and worrying for no reason, what do you think??

Mod note: This post misuses the anonymous function, please see the H&R guidelines for more information: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki..._relationships
    • TSR Support Team

Moved to Advice on Everyday Issues

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.