Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Views on Falkland & Britain/Argentina's relationship?? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wildrover)
    Such a pathetic country, how can they start a war and then moan when one of there ships is sunk.
    I think thats exceptionally harsh, the 'controversy' over the Belgrano is a uniquely British trait, no one else has questioned the legitimacy of the sinking. Any anger over it in Argentina comes from the regret over loss of life, not the fact that it was sunk unlawfully.

ReputationRep:
    couldn't give a **** either way, but don't see how we can claim an island on the opposite side of the world, or why we even want it at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SnoochToTheBooch)
    couldn't give a **** either way, but don't see how we can claim an island on the opposite side of the world, or why we even want it at all.
    We are not claiming it. This has never been about us versus Argentina. This is about Argentina versus The Falkland Islands, who's native population has decided they want to remain a British dependency.

If the Argentinians decide to invade like they did before, we are honour-bound to protect them.

This Chap gives quite a good alternative view on the debate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schleigg)
    We are not claiming it. This has never been about us versus Argentina. This is about Argentina versus The Falkland Islands, who's native population has decided they want to remain a British dependency.

If the Argentinians decide to invade like they did before, we are honour-bound to protect them.

This Chap gives quite a good alternative view on the debate.
    what do argentina want the falklands for? as far as I'm aware they're not exactly close to the argentinian coastline (300 miles or so) and there's nothing like oil or anything there anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Theyre British citizens thus we should be bound to defend them, in the politest way possible **** Argentina and its President... theyre dping nothing more than pandering to a cause to draw attention away from the shoddy state of their country.

ReputationRep:
    Oh look. Argentina is banging on about the Falklands. It must mean their countries internal state must be in poor state.

ReputationRep:
    President Kirchner is just bringing up the Falkland's for political points scoring. The Argentine Armed Forces are in a woeful state and would not stand a chance against the British Garrison on the Islands, let alone the ensuing Task Force that would be sent out from the UK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cannotbelieveit)
    President Kirchner is just bringing up the Falkland's for political points scoring. The Argentine Armed Forces are in a woeful state and would not stand a chance against the British Garrison on the Islands, let alone the ensuing Task Force that would be sent out from the UK.
    Yep, you are right.

ReputationRep:
    I believe we should hold onto the islands because it hurts somebody else's feelings.

That makes me laugh.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Wow this is the most civilised discussion I have ever seen regarding the whole debate over the Falklands.

I think in the end the only decisions to be made regarding the Falkland Islands should be by the inhabitants. Should they one day decide they no longer wanted to be associated with the UK then I am sure that in a heartbeat we would grant them their wish.

ReputationRep:
    I love the Falklands, I was out there for a month in my year out and they are some of the loveliest people I have ever met. They bloody hate Argentina though, and that is why I think they should remain part of Britain and be defended in the event of attack.

I think if there was an attack Britain have enough defences to keep it even with the intervention of other countries as the amount of stuff over there is ridiculous. Plus there were a hell of a lot of Gurkhas there when I stayed at the military base. Argentina would need to be mad to attack an island full of Gurkhas
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pol pot noodles)
    Since we have no carriers I think a 1982-style taskforce succeeding would be impossible. I think our entire strategy for the defence of the islands is centred around the garrison already there. I'd imagine they'd dig in, hold the line and await re-inforcements via the airfield. If that fails, I think we're screwed.
    We have one carrier that only carries hellicopters.

The garrison we have there is more than enough to stave of any attack from the argies, their military hasn't changed much if at all since 1982. The two eurofighters and 2 tornados there have enough might and technology to stave of any invasion from them. We also have nuclear subs with enough power to cripple them should we need to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 3 Phase Duck)
    We have one carrier that only carries hellicopters.

The garrison we have there is more than enough to stave of any attack from the argies, their military hasn't changed much if at all since 1982. The four eurofighters, ships, air defence battery and 2,500 troops there have enough might and technology to stave of any invasion from them. We also have nuclear subs with enough power to cripple them should we need to.
    Fixed that for you

ReputationRep:
    There's really nothing they can do. They don't have anywhere near enough political or economic clout to force us to hand over islands when the islanders want things to stay as they are and any invasion would be both universally condemned and obliterated.

It's hot air and I wish the media would stop pumping it up to be something it isn't.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schleigg)
    Fixed that for you
    Thought it was only 2 euro fighters and 2 tornados.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 3 Phase Duck)
    Thought it was only 2 euro fighters and 2 tornados.
    Nope, Tornado F3s aren't in service anymore. Just four Typhoons on the Falklands.

ReputationRep:
    The falklands are what gives us our claim to our own part of Antarctica, which could very probably contain oil. At the minute your not allowed to take any natural resources from Antarctica but if supplies become strained enough in the near future then its is a very real possibility, hence why the UK want to keep our slice of it. Plus the people are British, obviously :')

ReputationRep:
    I do find it amusing (to me) that Kirchner is doing this to detract from Argentina's economic problems however P&O Cruises have cancelled their visits to Argentinian ports which is going to hurt tourism at those ports and thus worsen (albeit very slightly) the economic situation there.

ReputationRep:
    It's about what the Falklanders want, and the entire island want to be part of the UK and not part of Argentina. Therefore the UK is allowing them that. It is Argentina who illegally invaded the Falklands, we are simply maintaining the Falklanders' right to self-determination; should they decide that they want to be part of Argentina I'm sure they'd be allowed to. The reality of the situation, though, is that they do not want to be.

Ultimately, this simply boils down to the fact that Kirchner is failing as a president and their economy is tanking. She wants to divert attention away from this by posturing over the islands.

Oh and this confirms my incredibly low opinion of her.

ReputationRep:
    Views on British - Argentine relationship: it's complicated

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 18, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.