Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am rather stuck on this.:confused:

A star is at rest relative to Earth and 27c y from Earth. A spaceship is making a trip from Earth to the Star at such a speed that the trip from Earth to the star takes 12y according to clocks on the spaceship. At what speed relative to Earth, must the spaceship travel.

The answer is 0.91c.

ReputationRep:
    I get v = 0.90c. Not sure why there's a small difference. I did it like this:

The S' frame is the frame moving with the spaceship and so in the S' frame the velocity of the spaceship is zero. In this S' frame the time to make the trip is 12 (years). The S frame is the earth frame, in which the time for the spaceship to travel to the sun is 27 and the velocity of the spaceship is v. We now use the fact that the spacetime interval is conserved to write:

c^2{\delta}t'^2 = c^2{\delta}t^2-{\delta}x^2

so

c^2{\delta}t'^2 = c^2{\delta}t^2-v^2{\delta}t^2

Substituting numbers

c^2(12^2) = c^2(27^2)-v^2(27^2)

v^2 = \frac{c^2(27^2 - 12^2)}{27^2} 

v = 0.90c

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.