Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:

The direction of the arrow is the direction of the electrons (and therefore the current).

The left-hand rule applies only to conventional current (or positive charge), so if I align my 'current finger' to point to the left (opposite the direction of the arrow) and my 'field finger' downwards (because magnetic field flows from N to S), then my 'force finger' points out towards me rather than into the paper (which is what is should be apparently).

What am I doing wrong?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sabre2th1)

The direction of the arrow is the direction of the electrons (and therefore the current).

The left-hand rule applies only to conventional current (or positive charge), so if I align my 'current finger' to point to the left (opposite the direction of the arrow) and my 'field finger' downwards (because magnetic field flows from N to S), then my 'force finger' points out towards me rather than into the paper (which is what is should be apparently).

What am I doing wrong?
    nothing, the motion is outwards from the plane of the page

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boner in jeans)
    nothing, the motion is outwards from the plane of the page
    If you watch 12:51 to 12:55, he says ''the electrons will curve into the paper''

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dc8Vay7mRss

Not saying you are wrong, just confused..

ReputationRep:
    The direction of conventional current is in the opposite direction to motion of an electron.

It's out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sabre2th1)
    If you watch 12:51 to 12:55, he says ''the electrons will curve into the paper''

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dc8Vay7mRss

Not saying you are wrong, just confused..
    it's definitely out of the paper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boner in jeans)
    it's definitely out of the paper

(Original post by bananarama2)
    The direction of conventional current is in the opposite direction to motion of an electron.

It's out.
    Thanks!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.