Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm not a regular around here, but thought this would be a good place to turn for advice.

I'm off to the LEC open day on the 19th Jan at Lancaster Uni to take a look around the department and make a choice on whether to apply or not. I'll be taking the masters part-time due to other work/family commitments, but I'd just like to know what other previous students out there thought of the course overall and what they thought of the department overall?

I'm just looking for a non-biased view, because obviously on the open day, the university will be selling the course to you.

Many thanks for reading!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Hey there, I'm applying for this course for 2013 entry too (I'd been thinking of starting a thread like this myself in fact)
    I'll be interested to see what people think. I'm currently an undergrad at lancs and I know one person on this course, but I've not gleaned too much about it from him other than it's really good. I spoke with Hugh Tuffin (the guy who runs it) and he was suggesting that there's a fair bit of maths (thermodynamics and fluid physics) involved, which if you come from a very mathematical background like I do is a good thing. But I know that a lot of people aren't comfortable with that kind of thing.

I'm planning on going on the open day on the 19th too.

PS: I can tell you about the university, if you're curious about that. I can't say much about the department though as my undergraduate is in physics.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, thanks for replying!

I'm glad I'm not the only one wondering about all of this.

Thanks for the info, I don't come from a very heavily mathematical background. My undergraduate is in Physical Geography and Geology, however I do have A-levels in Maths and Physics though so I might need to refresh on those!

I'm also wondering too, about the ties the university has with industries and employers, as I know the CEH is based there.

Definitely have a lot of questions to ask on Saturday.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shortie020891)
    Hi, thanks for replying!

I'm glad I'm not the only one wondering about all of this.

Thanks for the info, I don't come from a very heavily mathematical background. My undergraduate is in Physical Geography and Geology, however I do have A-levels in Maths and Physics though so I might need to refresh on those!

I'm also wondering too, about the ties the university has with industries and employers, as I know the CEH is based there.

Definitely have a lot of questions to ask on Saturday.
    From my understanding of the module requirements, A Level maths is sufficient and physics would be a bonus.

The university has a fair few ties with businesses and I'm constantly getting emails about graduate schemes and employment opportunities, though most of them have no relevance to my interests. I'll probably end up going into research rather than industry.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Manitude,

Thanks again for your help again!

I visited the LEC on Saturday and got more or less the same as you have said here. Managed to speak to Hugh Tuffin too, and he was very helpful and seemed optimistic to answer even the silliest of questions (I should have written them all down as I forgot most of them when I got there on the day).

The day did seem a little biased though, but that was expected, however after speaking to the current postgrads there, their only concern seemed to be the lack of funding or the fuss of getting it, rather than the concerns being with the department, staff or course itself - which seems a good sign really.

Either way, it looks like I'll be applying very soon
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shortie020891)
    Either way, it looks like I'll be applying very soon
    Likewise! I spoke to Hugh yesterday and he essentially said that the PS isn't too much to worry about, provided you're likely to get a 2:1 or above, and have relevant skills and interest in the subject. I'm hoping to finish my application next week.

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I am actually not taken this course but looking to go to Lancaster and would love to have friends who also like Volcanology I started out studying Volcanology but switched courses). It's hard to find people who also like Volcanology! If either of you have Facebook you can find me under Gabriella Azorres.

Thanks

Gabi

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I've been investigating wheter to choose the Volcanology MSc at the Lancaster or Bristol Universities for the Sep., 2016 program.., it is hard to decide on it, foloowing there are the links to the programs
    Lancaster: http://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/pos...oursestructure
    Bristol: http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/postg...c-volcanology/

I'll be grateful to read of you replying (p.d. I'm in facebook too, under: Josel Herrera)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josel Herrera)
    Hi, I've been investigating wheter to choose the Volcanology MSc at the Lancaster or Bristol Universities for the Sep., 2016 program.., it is hard to decide on it, foloowing there are the links to the programs
    Lancaster: http://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/pos...oursestructure
    Bristol: http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/postg...c-volcanology/

I'll be grateful to read of you replying (p.d. I'm in facebook too, under: Josel Herrera)
    Hi there, it's hard to say which course is better for you. This will depend on your interests within volcanology and which university you prefer. Both have very good research groups (arguably Bristol is better). I wouldn't worry too much about the apparently limited choice of optional modules at Lancaster - so long as you have the pre-requisites and the course is appropriate for you it should be fine to do other ones in the same department if they will interest you more. I speak from experience of doing this, as I completed the MSc course in 2014.

I would suggest that you visit both university open days and speak to the people who run the degree programs. This will give you the best idea about which course is right for you. If you want to know more about the MSc at Lancaster I am happy to share my experiences.

ReputationRep:
    Oh thanks Manitude . Yeah, please, I am eager to know what kind of extra optional modules could be done at the department, -modules that aren't in the list-, would you please share it?
    Lancaster MSc. Year 1
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josel Herrera)
    Oh thanks Manitude . Yeah, please, I am eager to know what kind of extra optional modules could be done at the department, -modules that aren't in the list-, would you please share it?
    Lancaster MSc. Year 1
    So personally I did the Volcanic Process Field Course (which is on Mt Etna for one week), "Environmental Radioactivity" and something called "Data Analysis and Programming Skills" or "Modelling Environmental Processes" or something like this.

I've just found the list of courses currently available and I've posted them below:
    Spoiler:
    Show

LEC.400 Research Methods in the Social Sciences
    LEC.401 Perspectives on Environment and Development
    LEC.402 Geoinformatics
    LEC.403 Environmental Management
    LEC.405 Environmental Auditing
    LEC.406 Climate Change and Society
    LEC.421 Food Security, Agriculture and Climate Change
    LEC.422 Toxicological Mechanisms and Measurements
    LEC.423 Consequences of Toxicological Effects
    LEC.424 Using the NVC
    LEC.425 Habitat Management
    LEC.426 Conservation Biology
    LEC.427 Wildlife Population Ecology
    LEC.428 Wildlife Monitoring Techniques
    LEC.429 Crop Protection
    LEC.430 Sustainable Soil Management
    LEC.432 Lake Ecology
    LEC.433 Safety and environmental impact assessment: an industrial perspective
    LEC.444 Catchment Hydrology and Assessment
    LEC.446 Integrated Systems for Sustainable Surface Water Management
    LEC.447 Forecasting and Extreme Event Response
    LEC.460 Numerical skills
    LEC.461 Data analysis and interpretation
    LEC.462 Data assimilation and integration
    LEC.466 Groundwater Resources and protection
    LEC.467 Catchment Protection (Field course)
    LEC.468 Modelling Environmental Processes
    LEC.469 Causes and Consequences of Environmental Radioactivity
    LEC.470 Pollution Microbiology
    LEC.471 Chemical Risk Assessment
    LEC.472 Contaminated Land and Remediation
    LEC.474 Geological Hazards
    LEC.475 Data Analysis and Programming Skills
    LEC.476 Volcanic Process Field Course
    LEC.477 Global Change and the Earth System
    LEC.478 Physical Volcanology
    LEC.479 Environmental Sampling and Analysis for Trace Organics
    LEC.481 Behaviour of Pollutants in the Environment
    LEC.482 Sustainable Systems
    LEC.483 Low-Carbon Energy Use
    LEC.484 Environmental Aspects of Renewable Energy

Not all of these will be appropriate for you, but if you really want to do a module and you have the correct background then it should be fine.

I hope that helps!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.