Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Footballers should not be allowed to abandon fixtures Watch

ReputationRep:
    I would hope he would never need to even with racist chanting as I hope either the referee or his team's manager would act first.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    I would hope he would never need to even with racist chanting as I hope either the referee or his team's manager would act first.
    The stewards are key. The fans should have been ejected, and barred from entering the stadium again that's the only way to stop this racism. The fact that this didn't happens means the club don't really care about tackling racism, which kinda reflects many societies across Europe

ReputationRep:
    It's the rules on sanctions that need changing.

Does anyone remember when Bendtner got fined £80 000 for a logo on his boxer shorts? In contrast, the Serbian FA were only fined £65 000 for persistent racist chanting in that England match last year. This happened despite a similar incident involving racist chants against Onouha in 2007, the fine then being £16 500.

Refs:

http://in.news.yahoo.com/fa-upset-ue...130017509.html
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2...a-racist-abuse

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rock Fan)
    Surely if you walk off the field it's victory for the racists
    This. Fair enough I suppose I'd that's the response Boateng wants to take but I would rather his reaction was to show them by playing well, scoring a goal and winning the game. That is what would really upset the fans giving him stick. Of course it becomes a different issue altogether in Russia where it's the home fans abusing their own black players.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barnsley Tom)
    This. Fair enough I suppose I'd that's the response Boateng wants to take but I would rather his reaction was to show them by playing well, scoring a goal and winning the game. That is what would really upset the fans giving him stick. Of course it becomes a different issue altogether in Russia where it's the home fans abusing their own black players.

Not really, racist abuse is racist abuse regardless of who it's coming from. There isn't any good reason why he shouldn't be allowed to do what he did, in any other job he wouldn't get any stick for if.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fusion)
    Kevin Prince Boateng says he'd be prepared to abandon a competitive tie if he was racially abused again but I don't see why KPB should be able to single handedly call off a fixture meaning thousands have wasted their time and money

Fair enough the Spurs-Bolton tie was called off because a player's heart failed (serious business) but for some yob shouting expletives to lead the captain and his team to abandon the tie is quite frankly disgraceful and in nobody's interests. Fortunately KPB is a millionaire but not everone can afford to write off travel costs and such.

Does he not realsie that fans are punished retrospectively for abuse.
    Firstly, he didn't ask for the game to be abandoned, he walked off by himself, everybody else chose to follow. There would have been nothing to stop the manager putting on a replacement and keeping the match going, but every other play and staff member decided to show their support for KPB and walk off too.

Secondly, he hasn't said that he will abandon any games in the future, he has said that he will walk off if racially abused again, but that doesn't mean the game will be abandoned, chances are that if it happens again the game will go on and he will just be substituted.

Thirdly, in most countries absolutely nothing will happen to racist fans, throughout all of Eastern Europe, Spain, Italy, France, and many other nations, racism is common at football matches and the fans get away with it every time. Even in England, they normally go unpunished, just that occasionally somebody is caught, but not often.

Fourthly, I think it's great that he walked off and everybody else followed. Why should anybody have to put up with having racist abuse hurled at them? It doesn't matter a damn that he is a professional footballer, nobody deserves that kind of abuse, whether they are a public figure or a normal person, it's just wrong.

Racists are not just a club's idiots. They are absolute scum and shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a football stadium where black players play every week. A club's idiots are far less threatening.

I'd imagine the vast majority of people in this thread are white people who've never had to experience racism, let alone at the level that Boateng and the other black players in Milan's team were suffering during the friendly. Matches can be replayed, fans can be banned, clubs can be fined, but black people should absolutely not have to sit through being racially abused by what looks like quite a large group of fans.

He did the right thing. If we're trying to get racism, homophobia, fascism and all other forms of oppression out of football, we need to take radical action, not just tell players to hang tight with the promise that some form of investigation will be launched later.

Further, I really don't understand how a match being abandoned is a victory for the racist fans. They're enjoying racially abusing the black players on the pitch as well as 'supporting' their team. A match abandonment just means there's no more football for them and that they'll be punished. The match will usually be replayed (maybe not in this instance as it's a friendly) without them there in a safer environment for the black players and the fans who aren't racist. If I was at a match, even if Brentford were in the semi-final of the FA Cup and some of our fans started racially abusing another fan or player, I'd want the match at least stopped until they were kicked out, or abandoned until they're gone forever. The result of any match does not matter in relation to the elimination or reduction of racism in football.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Fusion)
      That's not the point - so a player/team are allowed to cancel a fixture because of abuse with no reprucussions? That sets a dangerous precedent which is open to abuse - final day of the season club looking like they will be relegated so the captain claims he was racially abused and the team walk off. The tie is played again when they have injured players returning etc
      There are repercussions in competitive fixtures, if a team walked off in any league it would go down as a forfeit, which will obviously mean 3 points to your opponents and it is usually recorded as a heavy loss. I think in the Premiership it would go down as a 5-0 loss for the side that forfeited the game.

ReputationRep:
      I think it's a victory for the abuser because he will feel some empowerment at causing the game to be cancelled

It's ridiculous that potentially one out of 70.000 fans could cause a game to be called off because of a few words
      • TSR Support Team

(Original post by Barnsley Tom)

That's the thing the racists want the players to stop playing, I certainly don't condone racism, it is completely wrong and should not happen but unfortunately their goal is to try and drive players from a different race background out of football.

ReputationRep:
      Good job RVP wasn't in the crowd, he would have been killed

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
    Updated: January 6, 2013
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.