Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can I return a shrunken item to New Look? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Right, well my Dad told my brother to help with the washing and he put one of my new t-shirts (which I'd only worn once) into the tumble dryer on a high heat! I'm so annoyed at how unbelievable idiotic he was. I was unaware of this issue, but whilst hanging my clothes in the wardrobe I thought the t shirt looked small, so I tried it on. It hangs off of my shoulder blades and doesn't rest at my lower back because it's so short! I loved that t-shirt, too.

Basically, I've stretched it and stuff and I'm just generally unhappy that it has been ruined. I still have the tags and there's a slight chance I have the receipt (but I don't think so), it was bought within the last thirty days and it doesn't look worn.

Could I get my mum to return it? I know it sounds like a terrible thing to do, but I'm fifteen and have no money otherwise I would buy myself a new one. Better New Look to lose £15 than me

1. Could I return it without the receipt?

2. Could I return it with the receipt?

Thanks guys

ReputationRep:
    1. Without the receipt is generally a no, but it's worth a shot if you can't find the receipt.
    2. As long as it doesn't look like it's been worn, yes. Make sure you put all the tags back on.

ReputationRep:
    It's supposed to be in a condition where they can re sell it. I think they'd refuse.

ReputationRep:
    As someone who works in retail, it probably won't be accepted. You can feel and smell a washed garment and mangers wont return worn clothes unless they are faulty - which this t-shirt isn't. I wouldn't get your hopes up. If it were on my shift I would say no.

ReputationRep:
    If you have the receipt and you want to say you put it through the drier as you should have, and that happened then they will probably return it. Otherwise, I'd say it's a no.

Depends on your morals I guess!

ReputationRep:
    What's the worst that can happen? I say it's worth a try. Best case scenario, you get your money back, worst case, you're left with what you would have been with if you didn't try.

ReputationRep:
    I put t-shirts in the dryer on high all the time and never had a problem. :confused: Is it just some t-shirts you're not mean to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by USRaphael)
    I put t-shirts in the dryer on high all the time and never had a problem. :confused: Is it just some t-shirts you're not mean to?
    Nearly all t-shirts from Topman, H&M and New Look men's can't be put in the dryer. It's the same with A&F, Hollister and Jack Wills, although I don't buy clothes from there

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GooglyEyedMonster)
    As someone who works in retail, it probably won't be accepted. You can feel and smell a washed garment and mangers wont return worn clothes unless they are faulty - which this t-shirt isn't. I wouldn't get your hopes up. If it were on my shift I would say no.
    This reminds me of my sister, who works in H&M. A woman came in with a top which had the tags (but they weren't on it - H&M policy says you don't need the tags to be attached) and receipt. However the top had been visibly worn many times, so after gently disputing it with the woman, she eventually gave her the refund and just wrote the top off, as if she had called her manager she would have just put the return through anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Try and get your brother to pay for a new one, and in future do your own washing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by parpirate)
    Try and get your brother to pay for a new one, and in future do your own washing.
    Something similar to the OP happen to me. I bought an extremely expensive oxford shirt. Wore it once and my mum who has an obsession with cleaning sticks in the wash with red socks. The shirt came out pink. And then my mum shouted at me saying it was my fault for buying such an expensive shirt in the first place.

From then on I've done my own washing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kre)
    What's the worst that can happen? I say it's worth a try. Best case scenario, you get your money back, worst case, you're left with what you would have been with if you didn't try.
    I agree with this. OP, you could also try ringing the store to ask, just to double check before making your way down there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by parpirate)
    I'm 15, all my family's washing gets done together because my dad doesn't like only a few things going in oh their own as it wastes money.

Also, I was staying with my mum for a couple of days so I didn't even know my washing was getting done!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KJKA)
    Something similar to the OP happen to me. I bought an extremely expensive oxford shirt. Wore it once and my mum who has an obsession with cleaning sticks in the wash with red socks. The shirt came out pink. And then my mum shouted at me saying it was my fault for buying such an expensive shirt in the first place.

From then on I've done my own washing.
    It's soul destroying when something like that happens

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    As long as you have the receipt, I can't see why returning it should be a problem.

ReputationRep:
    The item was fine when you got it, so why should the store have to take it back?

ReputationRep:
    Doubt it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jarno)
    If you have the receipt and you want to say you put it through the drier as you should have, and that happened then they will probably return it. Otherwise, I'd say it's a no.

Depends on your morals I guess!
    Lol at morals... as if new look have any morals :L

ReputationRep:
    How old is your brother? Unless he is an actual child, he should be reimbursing you, as it's his fault, not the store's. He's the one who didn't bother to check garment labels before putting the dryer on a high setting.

ReputationRep:
    You can try to be sneaky and swap the t-shirt for another size. Put the labels back on and get another size from the rail. Go up to the tills and ask to swap as the one you brought is too small/big. She'll do it without thinking especially if its busy (mid day on Saturday). It's morally wrong but those shops earn a fortune!

Good luck

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 31, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.