Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Skinny and want to build up.. Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm 5'11 at the moment and 16. I know doing a lot of exercise in the midst of my growth spurt will cause me to grow less, however I'm happy with my current height. What I'm not happy with is my body.

I'm extremely skinny, and around 7 stone. I want to gain weight + build muscle, and overall just make myself look more masculine and attractive.

I have 2 dungbells each 3kg each (I'm a beginner leave me be), and a pull up bar (I also have a gym membership but going into the gym leaves me helplessly self conscious). I regularly do around 20 reps with the dungbells 2/3 times a day, whenever I have time, and do pull ups at random intervals throughout the day.

What I need is a new diet to gain weight, and a good routine to coincide with my diet.

I plan on getting protein powder/shakes soon, anyone have any recommendations (I'm on a budget, 16 years old ).

Any help appreciated, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Broooook)
    I regularly do around 20 reps with the dungbells 2/3 times a day
    20 Reps of what? 3kg Isn't going to build any muscle, though you will build a little arm/upper back muscle from doing pullups for a while first with bodyweight, and then working up to dangling those dumbbells between your legs as you do them.

If you want to bulk up, you just need to eat a lot more. You're really going to need to buy some heavier dumbbells/other equipment/join a gym if you're serious about this transformation.

More calories, around 1 gram of protein daily per pound of bodyweight and heavy weight lifting is what you are in need of, look up beginner programs like "stronglifts 5x5" or "starting strength" but theres no way around it, you need more equipment!

ReputationRep:
    7 stone at 5'11?? Are you sure that's a medically "safe" weight to be at?! Granted you're 16, but you grow up with age (before your growth plates close) not out!

Lifting program: http://startingstrength.wikia.com

You need to be eating an absolute ****load of calories. You will need to plan this properly because at that weight, you won't be able to eat the physical amount required by a long shot. Eat as much food as you can, stop for half an hour and eat more. You should try and hit around 2500cals. If you can drink 2L milk on top do it, if not then buy lactase supplements off Amazon or something!

If you eat enough then you won't significantly affect your growth upwards at all.

ReputationRep:

Do this routine for 9months-1 year. It will get you muscle in the fastest way because it works out every muscle 3 times a week resulting in great strength gains and doesn't leave any muscle neglected like a lot of strength based programs do. Aim to gain 1 to 1.5 pounds a week until you are a healthy bodyweight for someone of your height then look at gaining 2-3 pounds a month. Consume 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight and start tracking your calories so you know exactly how much you are eating. I would recommend starting at 2500 calories.

ReputationRep:
    What I need is a new diet to gain weight, and a good routine to coincide with my diet.
    Good thing there's an example diet in the nutrition sticky on here then.

Don't get self conscious at the gym, I'm skinny as hell and don't let it get to me. The whole reason you're going to the gym is to stop being skinny, people will ignore you, just go and have fun mate.

Edit: They're called 'dumbbells' by the way aha. Forgot about the ones you have and get to the gym.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by In One Ear)
    20 Reps of what? 3kg Isn't going to build any muscle, though you will build a little arm/upper back muscle from doing pullups for a while first with bodyweight, and then working up to dangling those dumbbells between your legs as you do them.

If you want to bulk up, you just need to eat a lot more. You're really going to need to buy some heavier dumbbells/other equipment/join a gym if you're serious about this transformation.

More calories, around 1 gram of protein daily per pound of bodyweight and heavy weight lifting is what you are in need of, look up beginner programs like "stronglifts 5x5" or "starting strength" but theres no way around it, you need more equipment!

Actually if he's looking to bulk 20 reps of 3kg isn't as bad as it sounds. With body building the size of the weight is second to the range of movement and reps i.e. the weight is merely a tool, it doesn't matter the size providing you make muscle gains. Stronglifts 5x5 and starting strengths aren't programs for people looking to bulk, they are strength training programs. You could use them to bulk and get results but if he wants to bulk seriously then I would suggest high rep, slow controlled, moderate weight lifting is the right way to go about it.

OP watch this video of kai Greene, he only uses 30lbs (15kg) dumbbells, and he's a pro body builder says it all really. Also listen carefully to what he says i.e. "I'll never be a weightlifter......"

EDIT: If you are going to neg me then at least explain why, the advice here is sound.

Still getting negs I see, but no one wants to say why.

ReputationRep:
    There is no way you weigh 7 stone, you would be in hospital..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 3 Phase Duck)
    x
    I'd say progressively adding weight will be his main problem if he only works with those weights though. I think it's much easier just to go to the gym than try and pile it all up at home, especially since he has no reason not to go to the gym.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scorpiaz)
    There is no way you weigh 7 stone, you would be in hospital..
    my boyfriend was 8.5 stone and is 21. his metabolism is incredibly fast, he was eating over 2000 calories a day. he has gained nearly a stone in the past month by having daily protein shakes on top of normal daily intake.

also, to OP, lift heavy weights and low reps. make sure you have adequate rest days, make sure you are having enough protein. good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jadeannalis)
    my boyfriend was 8.5 stone and is 21. his metabolism is incredibly fast, he was eating over 2000 calories a day. he has gained nearly a stone in the past month by having daily protein shakes on top of normal daily intake.

also, to OP, lift heavy weights and low reps. make sure you have adequate rest days, make sure you are having enough protein. good luck
    Thats a 1.5 stone difference, and thats assuming your bf is the same height. If he was 8.5 stone and say 6'2ish then that would probably be on the same par as this guy. But i know how skinny 7.5 stone is at 5'11 and there is no way you would be healthy.

And 2000 calories isn't much tbh, you arent going to see massive weight gains eating that much, so its no surprise he wasn't putting on weight.

ReputationRep:
    Thats a 1.5 stone difference, and thats assuming your bf is the same height. If he was 8.5 stone and say 6'2ish then that would probably be on the same par as this guy. But i know how skinny 7.5 stone is at 5'11 and there is no way you would be healthy.

And 2000 calories isn't much tbh, you arent going to see massive weight gains eating that much.
    he was 6'4 and 8.5 stone. very skinny looking but 8.5 stone of muscle as he plays football very regularly- his bf% was 6.8.

to your other comment, thats why i advised him to try protein shakes as a way to add calories and nutrition, as he was eating 2000 calories of cakes and biscuits and chocolate which isn't the 'weight' he wanted to gain as he had started to go gym too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 3 Phase Duck)
    Actually if he's looking to bulk 20 reps of 3kg isn't as bad as it sounds.v=m8wZNGL4iA4[/video]
    Well surely doing 3kg flat dumbbell presses for 20 reps isn't going to do anything? Thats basically unweighted!

ReputationRep:
    he was 6'4 and 8.5 stone. very skinny looking but 8.5 stone of muscle as he plays football very regularly- his bf% was 6.8.

to your other comment, thats why i advised him to try protein shakes as a way to add calories and nutrition, as he was eating 2000 calories of cakes and biscuits and chocolate which isn't the 'weight' he wanted to gain as he had started to go gym too.
    kind of hard to believe or try and imagine how he looked, 8.5 stone and that 8.5 stone consists of 8.5 stone of muscle, doesnt that make him 0% body fat?

also id like to see all the muscle he has from playing football...

ReputationRep:
    running around is cardio. cardio burns fat- mostly anyway.

that was onviously an exaggeration; but literally you cant pinch anything of him stomach or legs or arms.

ReputationRep:
    running around is cardio. cardio burns fat- mostly anyway.

that was onviously an exaggeration; but literally you cant pinch anything of him stomach or legs or arms.
    cardio burns fat, it doesn't develop muscle. He's skin and bone.

ReputationRep:
    I'm 5'11 at the moment and 16. I know doing a lot of exercise in the midst of my growth spurt will cause me to grow less, however I'm happy with my current height. What I'm not happy with is my body.

I'm extremely skinny, and around 7 stone. I want to gain weight + build muscle, and overall just make myself look more masculine and attractive.

I have 2 dungbells each 3kg each (I'm a beginner leave me be), and a pull up bar (I also have a gym membership but going into the gym leaves me helplessly self conscious). I regularly do around 20 reps with the dungbells 2/3 times a day, whenever I have time, and do pull ups at random intervals throughout the day.

I plan on getting protein powder/shakes soon, anyone have any recommendations (I'm on a budget, 16 years old ).

Rather than lecture you on 'oh you need to eat this this and this, or tell you 'oh you need to do this this and this' etc.

I'm just going to link you to a website that helped me when I started out. You'll come across this guy on youtube as well! All his workouts can be done at home with simple CHEAP equipment such as your dumbbells!

http://scoobysworkshop.com

That should be more than enough to help you out. But I would like to just clarify it won't stop your growth.

Good luck.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by In One Ear)
    Well surely doing 3kg flat dumbbell presses for 20 reps isn't going to do anything? Thats basically unweighted!
    Perhaps not 3kg, but the point is it's not about how heavy the weight is providing you have enough resistance to stimulate growth. Hence why kai greene a world class bodybuilder only curls 15kg.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:

8.5 stone and 6'4!!!!!! Man that is ****ing skinny. My ex girl friend was heavier and she wasn't fat by any means.

ReputationRep:

hello i my self was once at your stage where i did not know where to go, the best advice i can give you is to eat hard! i mean 6 meals a day, protein shakes are not much use at this stage but i would recommend you to take a weight gainer a bit later on, maybe hyperbolic mass or serious mass, these will help increase your calorie in take per day and hopefully up your weight but should not be relied on! there is no point really in going to the gym with nothing to burn otherwise you would burn muscle if anything.
    Train eat sleep.

ReputationRep:
    cardio burns fat, it doesn't develop muscle. He's skin and bone.
    I'm not sure you read what I said. I know it burns fat. His body fat was 5.8. He lifts like me. He isn't 'skin and bone' at all.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.