Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Skinny and want to build up.. Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jadeannalis)
    I'm not sure you read what I said. I know it burns fat. His body fat was 5.8. He lifts like me. He isn't 'skin and bone' at all.
    you implied in your original post that he has a lot of muscles because of his cardio from football. and what do you mean he lifts like you?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure you read what I said. I know it burns fat. His body fat was 5.8. He lifts like me. He isn't 'skin and bone' at all.
    Lol so he does girl weights.

Nah only joking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 3 Phase Duck)
    Lol so he does girl weights.
    that wasn't very funny, but yeah, we both lift :')

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheBrightShadow)
    you implied in your original post that he has a lot of muscles because of his cardio from football. and what do you mean he lifts like you?
    i didn't say he had muscles from football.

-he doesn't weigh a lot
    -his body fat is low
    -he does have muscle, even if he doesn't weigh a lot

we both lift weights at the gym

ReputationRep:
    Simple high calorie diet with low gi carbs and plenty of them and a training programme to satisfy myofribular hypotrophy google it.

ReputationRep:
    i didn't say he had muscles from football.

-he doesn't weigh a lot
    -his body fat is low
    -he does have muscle, even if he doesn't weigh a lot

we both lift weights at the gym
    ah ok its just when you said "he was 6'4 and 8.5 stone. very skinny looking but 8.5 stone of muscle as he plays football very regularly-" i thought you were implying he had a massive amount of muscle and it was due to football.

i guess i read it wrong...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    that wasn't very funny, but yeah, we both lift :')

Do you lift more than he does?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheBrightShadow)
    ah ok its just when you said "he was 6'4 and 8.5 stone. very skinny looking but 8.5 stone of muscle as he plays football very regularly-" i thought you were implying he had a massive amount of muscle and it was due to football.

i guess i read it wrong...
    i guess wording could be decieving. i was just implying that he wasn't 'skinny-fat' and that he did have muscle, just that he has a low body weight

ReputationRep:
    Do you lift more than he does?
    little yeah. he lifts at gym; i lift at gym and at home as i have barbell and kettlebells at home to workout with :')

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Broooook)
    I'm 5'11 at the moment and 16. I know doing a lot of exercise in the midst of my growth spurt will cause me to grow less, however I'm happy with my current height. What I'm not happy with is my body.

I'm extremely skinny, and around 7 stone. I want to gain weight + build muscle, and overall just make myself look more masculine and attractive.

I have 2 dungbells each 3kg each (I'm a beginner leave me be), and a pull up bar (I also have a gym membership but going into the gym leaves me helplessly self conscious). I regularly do around 20 reps with the dungbells 2/3 times a day, whenever I have time, and do pull ups at random intervals throughout the day.

What I need is a new diet to gain weight, and a good routine to coincide with my diet.

I plan on getting protein powder/shakes soon, anyone have any recommendations (I'm on a budget, 16 years old ).

Any help appreciated, thanks!
    Eat and lift, do resistance training rather than weightlifting, focus on form rather than weight. This helps you be able to utilise your body better as well. I was doing 12s, my mate was doing 16 who was double the size of me. I started doing it his way and I had to start using 6s for dumbells.

I can curl 12s now without a problem using the new technique though.

Eat loads of carbs to give you energy for the exercise and after the exercise eat protein/drink a shake within 30 mins of finishing the exercise.

Actually if he's looking to bulk 20 reps of 3kg isn't as bad as it sounds. With body building the size of the weight is second to the range of movement and reps i.e. the weight is merely a tool, it doesn't matter the size providing you make muscle gains. Stronglifts 5x5 and starting strengths aren't programs for people looking to bulk, they are strength training programs. You could use them to bulk and get results but if he wants to bulk seriously then I would suggest high rep, slow controlled, moderate weight lifting is the right way to go about it.

OP watch this video of kai Greene, he only uses 30lbs (15kg) dumbbells, and he's a pro body builder says it all really. Also listen carefully to what he says i.e. "I'll never be a weightlifter......"

EDIT: If you are going to neg me then at least explain why, the advice here is sound.

Still getting negs I see, but no one wants to say why.
    Agree, I don't know why people are complaining.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.