Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

More of a friendship issue than a health issue.

Not going to go into huge detail; as it's long and boring. I think I've posted about this before.

For a very long time, (years) I have been obsessed with a friend of mine who is also Autistic. He mentioned it 3 years ago when I had really bad depression and would constantly contact him, despite him telling me to stop it. I did finally admit this year. Predictably, he said nothing. Actually, I thought he did - he replied to another email of mine I sent not long after and said "if it's that date we can't meet up", (He lives in London and I was visiting for a few days) which I took completely the wrong way. That was until he said on Facebook "I will not be around for a few days. Tomorrow is Sabbath and there's a festival on Sunday". (He's Jewish)

It's getting worse now. We've not talked properly for a long time now. Whenever I've brought this up, he always says it's because "I don't know what you want to talk about". When I do try to talk to him, he either ignores me or decides he'll say something and then completely change the subject.:rolleyes:

I really have no idea how to deal with this any more and it seems to be one vicious circle. He doesn't speak to me because I'm clingy, (he's not actually said this; but this is the impression I get) which means I contact him more. I don't think he knows what to do any more.

ReputationRep:
    He is also autistic so you out of everyone be able to understand his actions. Analyse your behavior and see if they coincide with his or the best option tell him up straight

(Original post by Ali_M10)
    He is also autistic so you out of everyone be able to understand his actions. Analyse your behavior and see if they coincide with his or the best option tell him up straight
    I wish! I don't understand his actions most of the time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I wish! I don't understand his actions most of the time.
    I agree with Cephalus, who suggested you just ask him straight.

The subtleties of the things people say or don't say, the hidden meanings in their words and actions, the "signals" people give off all the time are exactly what autistic people have such trouble with - be it interpreting the behaviour of others, or having their own behaviour interpreted correctly by others

If you're trying to "understand his actions" based on these kinds of subtleties as opposed to just having a clear, direct conversation, you're probably in for a frustrating experience.

He claims he ignores me because "I have no idea what you want to talk about":rolleyes: which doesn't explain why when I've said something to him, he's ignored me.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 5, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.