Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    You'd think after receiving 3 Unconditionals and 1 Conditional already my last interview would feel like a doss. It's like the complete opposite!!!!
    I'm crapping myself, firstly this essay had to be redone AGAIN! It finally answered the way that I wanted it to, but, unfortunatley what newspaper it was from it was unknown. I SWEAR this is a trick question and I ended up waking up screaming at 4:30am this morning about the damned thing.

Then I finally do it and my parents say it's "fine" not "great" not even "good" but fine and then have a go at me about not doing it sooner to which I then started to flash around the 8 other copies I've done in the last 12 days!

So the interview is at 10am tomorrow, 45 minutes after the one yesterday and because of the dumb trains I have to get the train an hour and ten minutes earlier than yesterday which means that the ticket has gone from £20.50 to £37.10, which is absolutley ridiculous. Also puts uneccesary pressure on me as my mum said when we bought it "You bloody well better get in!"

So now I am paranoid, I am paranoid that my essay isn't going to be good enough. I am paranoid that my train will be late and I will miss another interview (for explanation see ROYAL MAIL SCREW UP!). I am paranoid that I have been worrying all these weeks and I'm not even going to get what I want even though it's not any harder to get into than the other ones I've already got into.

Anybody else feel like this?

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, no.
    But i took the attitude that it was up to the uni's to impress me, not the other way around.
    I can see why your like this though.
    Is this last place the one you want to go to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iluvatar)
    To be honest, no.
    But i took the attitude that it was up to the uni's to impress me, not the other way around.
    Yeah it's my first choice even though i've just been accepted over the road anyway. I remember them saying though they get about 500 applicants each year for 50 places...so thats like 1 in 10 and then they reject a LOT and then give like 2/3 of the interviewee's places. I can switch on the charm easily...just I can't when I am nervous...like I am now

ReputationRep:
    Ooh I live nearish you

(Original post by Iluvatar)
    To be honest, no.
    what are you hoping to do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DazYa12)
    what are you hoping to do?
    Journalism BA, I've been accepted to Middlesex University, South Bank University and the Surrey Institute of Art & Design Unconditionally and Southampton Institute Conditionally.
    I don't reckon I'll get another Conditional because the AS levels I'm taking at the moment are just add ons to my A-Levels.
    Bournemouth rejected me but they took my friend on who had A's in Physics, Maths, Mechanics and Economics which was a bit silly..because the only one that could even be related to journalism would be economics. They just get people who have high grades but they are more oversubscribed.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Danithestudent)
    I am paranoid that my train will be late and I will miss another interview (for explanation see ROYAL MAIL SCREW UP!).
    Well I can help you solve this - phone them up now and ask for a contact number for the morning (explaining that you're relying on public transport), make sure you have a fully charged mobile phone and you don't have to worry about being late - even if the train derails it's just a case of calling them up and letting them know what's happening and when you're likely to arrive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    Well I can help you solve this - phone them up now and ask for a contact number for the morning (explaining that you're relying on public transport), make sure you have a fully charged mobile phone and you don't have to worry about being late - even if the train derails it's just a case of calling them up and letting them know what's happening and when you're likely to arrive.
    Lol thanks, I've already got all that. I put £20 on my phone especially.
    It's more the whole essay thing that's bothering me
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Danithestudent)
    Lol thanks, I've already got all that. I put £20 on my phone especially.
    It's more the whole essay thing that's bothering me
    So long as you can justify the audience it's written for I can't see there's a problem - it's for part of the interview so they obviously want to talk to you about your work and styles of writing rather than just sit there grading it while you twiddle your thumbs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    So long as you can justify the audience it's written for I can't see there's a problem - it's for part of the interview so they obviously want to talk to you about your work and styles of writing rather than just sit there grading it while you twiddle your thumbs
    I still reckon it's a trick question. It asks you to address the lack of trust in politicians due to the reporting leading up to the war. Erm well I don't know about you but surely it affects the Government which isn't even like half the politicians surely.

if that made sense your thick too hehe

ReputationRep:
    The question was "in the lig...should I even bother I've writtent the damned thing on here so many times!

Politicians, estate agents, lawyers and car salesmen. What do all these professionals have in common? Answer, they’re renowned for being untrustworthy. A stigma created by many years of scandal, investigative reports and TV documentaries. Politicians are often discredited because in order to become elected they have to promise all things to all people. More often than not these promises cannot be fulfilled, causing people to be disappointed. This inevitably causes people to be disappointed with politicians.

The possibility of a war is a very risky subject for any politician to deal with; the war with Iraq was no exception. The public were torn, half for the war and half against. People on both sides lost trust in the Government and politicians. Blair was dictating the reasons for war while Clare Short contradicted everything he said. It’s normal for politicians to have disagreements, however they were in the same party. The media pounced on this rift in Government like a vulture that has spotted a carcass. It screamed scandal and the number one rule in the media is scandal sells.

Along with the schism in Parliament the news were reporting on Blix’s
    reconnaissance in Iraq. After September 11th we were cagey of any threat against us. Old enemies (Saddam Hussein) suddenly popped back up, with possible links to terrorism and we became scared. America and Britain were willing to use all their intelligence and manpower to reassure us that such atrocities could never happen again; with increased criticism from the United Nations. The UN were all for the "War against Terror” unfortunately not in quite the same frame of mind as the US and UK. Branding Bush as a gun wielding maniac and suggesting we solved it peacefully rather than with force.
    A conflict of interests.

How much of this was the media’s fault? The media played a huge part in the lead up to the war, with the innovation of 24 hour-a-day coverage, countless experts and interactive channels. A lot of the public believed that Bush wanted war to boost his ego , that there was no direct threat from Iraq and we should really be going after Korea. “Smoke & Mirrors” became the phrase of the moment. We were supposedly having our attention distracted elsewhere from the growing problems of crime and poverty in our own countries. The BBC was criticized with how information was obtained and allegations of
    “sexed up” accounts and dossiers. Everything was a great big mess; plain facts were lost where contradictory propaganda was brought in. Every account was different. Who were we supposed to listen to?

The media were probably indeed partly the cause for the public losing trust in politicians. Their job is to question and analyse. By applying this to what was being said, they managed to pick holes in the arguments. By “informing” the public they were somewhat responsible for the diminished trust, but
    one may argue that our lack of trust in politicians hasn’t changed. It’s just become more obvious.

Blah blah blah...read it if you want I can't be bothered to do anymore...

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.