Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm in my first year studying economics. I need to choose a module for this term and have narrowed it down to one in finance and one in the econ department. Right now, the econ one sounds more interesting but the finance one is a prerequisite for finance modules in future years. I'm also fully aware that finance is a popular sector for econ graduates and I'd like to keep my options open. So how much do employers care about module choices (1st year bear in mind)? If its not important I'll choose what I want to do right now, but I should also be practical I think, so if choosing the finance option might help me in the future, I'll do that (plus its supposed to be quite easy).

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Short answer

Yes, it matters.

Long answer
    It depends on the field of study and the likely industry you want to end up in. I was rather naive at university and kept choosing modules I'd love, so mechanics and fluid dynamics. Unfortunately these modules have little to do with the real world unless you're planning on becoming an engineer, working as a meteorologist or a professor. The other option was statistics, which was used straight out of university. A lot of programmes are extremely useful to employers and I cannot understate the importance of some exposure before going ahead with applications.

As an example, in my second year I didn't do the stats module. They used minitab to do a huge project, and I really regret not doing that module because a) it was easy and I'd have scored a 90% average in my second year, and b) the entire project was useful as a basic grounding to using statistical packages.

If you're just doing theoretical stuff like "finance" which will probably just cover stuff used in the 70's like the Black Scholes equation or basic Markowitz portfolio theory, then the effects of this will be negligible. No employer really gives a crap if you know your economics history but they do care about the skills you currently have. Bear that in mind, but of course, do what you love, or you'll face a lower overall classification.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.