Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have read suggestions such as 'two weeks in a primary school' or 'a year volunteering', but what counts as 'two weeks'? Two full weeks or a couple of hours during free periods for two weeks? I have a placement at a hospital for 6 months for 2hrs a week, so will that count as 6 months or will I need to see how many full working days it is equivalent to? I don't want to put down 6 months if I was only supposed to put down a few days.

Will 6 months be enough to show I am committed, or will I need to do a whole year e.g. at a care home? I have a job that takes up most of my weekend so I'm struggling to fit all the work experience I would like in (I know it's not the quantity it's the quality and what I've learnt from it that counts but I would like enough to give me a better idea of what medicine involves e.g. special school, primary school, care home, hospice and would like at least some experience in all of these places).

ReputationRep:
    There was a recent FOI to King's college London which I read and to get max marks on your work experience etc. you needed 1 week in a hospital shadowing doctors (I presume your 2 hours each week will be making tea etc. on the wards) and 1 week shadowing GPs, in addition to 1 year+ regular volunteering in a caring role e.g. care home or hospice make sure you keep a diary and reflect on what you've learnt about the job/ conditions you've seen each day

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mr_magic_man)
    There was a recent FOI to King's college London which I read and to get max marks on your work experience etc. you needed 1 week in a hospital shadowing doctors (I presume your 2 hours each week will be making tea etc. on the wards) and 1 week shadowing GPs, in addition to 1 year+ regular volunteering in a caring role e.g. care home or hospice make sure you keep a diary and reflect on what you've learnt about the job/ conditions you've seen each day
    Thanks Yes, I have to put in a special request to shadow a doctor when I'm at the hospital. I have written to my local GP but have had no reply so GP shadowing might be tricky to set up

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 5, 2013

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.