Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have read suggestions such as 'two weeks in a primary school' or 'a year volunteering', but what counts as 'two weeks'? Two full weeks or a couple of hours during free periods for two weeks? I have a placement at a hospital for 6 months for 2hrs a week, so will that count as 6 months or will I need to see how many full working days it is equivalent to? I don't want to put down 6 months if I was only supposed to put down a few days.

Will 6 months be enough to show I am committed, or will I need to do a whole year e.g. at a care home? I have a job that takes up most of my weekend so I'm struggling to fit all the work experience I would like in (I know it's not the quantity it's the quality and what I've learnt from it that counts but I would like enough to give me a better idea of what medicine involves e.g. special school, primary school, care home, hospice and would like at least some experience in all of these places).

ReputationRep:
    There was a recent FOI to King's college London which I read and to get max marks on your work experience etc. you needed 1 week in a hospital shadowing doctors (I presume your 2 hours each week will be making tea etc. on the wards) and 1 week shadowing GPs, in addition to 1 year+ regular volunteering in a caring role e.g. care home or hospice make sure you keep a diary and reflect on what you've learnt about the job/ conditions you've seen each day

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mr_magic_man)
    There was a recent FOI to King's college London which I read and to get max marks on your work experience etc. you needed 1 week in a hospital shadowing doctors (I presume your 2 hours each week will be making tea etc. on the wards) and 1 week shadowing GPs, in addition to 1 year+ regular volunteering in a caring role e.g. care home or hospice make sure you keep a diary and reflect on what you've learnt about the job/ conditions you've seen each day
    Thanks Yes, I have to put in a special request to shadow a doctor when I'm at the hospital. I have written to my local GP but have had no reply so GP shadowing might be tricky to set up

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.