Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey TSR!
    Like most people my new years resolution has been to become fitter I'm really going to try to stick to it.
    I'm a male, 5'9 at 140 lbs and my goal is to have around 15% body fat, I'm around 23% at the moment.
    Now, I've done some research around the topic but I need to specific help.
    Is it possible to lose fat and gain muscle mass at the same time?
    If so how? I'm not too worried about my weight, I just want to get rid of excess fat on my stomach. BMI shows I should be 'Normal' but my belly looks hideous :mad:
    Any help will be appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    Yes it is. Muscle can simply replace fat. Don't worry about the stomach for now. Do a clean bulk, then cut. It's still exercise.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    140lbs is lightfor your height. Read the stickies. Do some resistance training and add some muscle . You'll look better. You most likely lack muscle and have become skinny fat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silent ninja)
    140lbs is lightfor your height. Read the stickies. Do some resistance training and add some muscle . You'll look better. You most likely lack muscle and have become skinny fat.
    Would you say Resistance training 5x a week combined with HIIT training 3x a week is good enough?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bambi_bambi)
    Would you say Resistance training 5x a week combined with HIIT training 3x a week is good enough?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Easy tiger. Training more than 6 times a week is HARD and doing HIIT in the same day as weights/resistance training is very difficult unless you are very well conditioned. My opinion is stick to cardio and HIIT on your non-lifting days and really give it some beans. Remember cardio is primarily good for cardiovascular health and it's NOT necessary for fat loss -- food can address that. I think cardio is awesome for all round health. Also you will find cardio affects your strength gains as it isn't easy to recover if you're training 6 days a week....

3 times resistance training, 3 times cardio is plenty enough per week. Concentrate on good quality work which is what will make your grow and get stronger, not tonnes of quantity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silent ninja)
    Easy tiger. Training more than 6 times a week is HARD and doing HIIT in the same day as weights/resistance training is very difficult unless you are very well conditioned. My opinion is stick to cardio and HIIT on your non-lifting days and really give it some beans. Remember cardio is primarily good for cardiovascular health and it's NOT necessary for fat loss -- food can address that. I think cardio is awesome for all round health. Also you will find cardio affects your strength gains as it isn't easy to recover if you're training 6 days a week....

3 times resistance training, 3 times cardio is plenty enough per week. Concentrate on good quality work which is what will make your grow and get stronger, not tonnes of quantity.
    Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.