Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Could I seriously be going bald at 15? Watch

Hi, I'd like to remain anonymous as this is sort of embarrassing, as well as my hair being in such a mess (I was wearing a coat in a place with heating today because there was nowhere else to put it, and was sweating a lot).

OK, so I'm a 15-year old male, relatively normal hair in terms of its health, although it does get greasy easily (as you can probably see from the picture). My grandad on my Dad's side went bald in his 20s, whilst my grandad on my Mum's side went bald in his mid-50s. So, I wouldn't be too surprised if I was bald as an adult. I've been starting to notice some hair coming out of my scalp, and I decided to look and I present to you this picture (if you don't puke at seeing the hair):

Yes. You've seen it, and you cannot un-see it. But still, am I overreacting, or could I seriously be developing bald spots at 15 and a half? If the latter, can I do anything about it? When will it actually be noticeable?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    It's always hard to tell with people who have long hair, it could well just be how you have your hair parted. If it's something you worry about go and see your GP

(Original post by Idle)
    It's always hard to tell with people who have long hair, it could well just be how you have your hair parted. If it's something you worry about go and see your GP
    That probably is a point, saying that I have my hair parted to the middle. What I'll probably do is see if the spot I'm looking at gets larger, and if it does go see someone. I'm not too bothered about going bald (at least in my 20s, if I went bald at Sixth Form that wouldn't be that great a fashion statement) and I sort of found it inevitable because of my genes, but I'm just a bit worried about it happening sooner than I'd be happy for it to! Anyway, thanks for the reply!

ReputationRep:
    I have my hair parted in the middle, and i have naturally fine hair (as you might do too). When i haven't washed my hair in a while the top of my head can sometimes look like that too simply because my stands are very thin. Wash your hair more frequently (and this may seem strange for a guy to do) and use a volumizing shampoo. Volumizing shampoo's don't actually give your hair "volume" as such, but ensure that the shampoo is not weighing your hair down, because non-volumizing ones WILL slightly flatten your hair.

ReputationRep:
    It honestly doesn't look like you are balding.. I think you may be paranoid.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    I dont know but alot of black people have this problem at your age.. my hair didnt fu grow out till i hit 20. Your probs not black tho
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    look nothing wrong to me. you are probably paranoid

ReputationRep:
    Where my hair is parted at the crown it looks similar to your picture. Three years ago I noticed it and spent ages stressing out over it thinking I was going bald. Three years later, it's still exactly the same. You're just getting paranoid like I used to be.

ReputationRep:
    Cut your hair and maintain sanitary health. Oily hair is never good, get a good quality shampoo and wash it!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skeppy)
    I dont know but alot of black people have this problem at your age.. my hair didnt fu grow out till i hit 20. Your probs not black tho
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    LOL what?

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't worry about going bald. You will be able to still pull of many good styles. I was beginning to lose the front part of my hair in my early twenties and a few years after decided for a number 1 shaved all over. Am now 26 and never looked back since

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 10, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What time of year is the worst for students?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.