Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hey guys,

i am considering buying a laptop off amazon u.s as the dollar is pretty weak compared to the pound thus making it a lot cheaper over there. I was just wondering if you guys have had any experience with this and whether you think it's a good idea or not?

thanks

ReputationRep:
    Be aware of the extra costs you might face: Higher shipping, Import duty, VAT etc. For other bits of electronics I've heard stories where the duty etc. has cost as much as the items being bought.

Support might also be an issue if it goes wrong, some components might also have different limitations (wireless cards often have area specific models so you might find some wireless channels in the UK you cant use).

If you're visiting or know someone that can transport it for you it could be a good way of buying something a bit cheaper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mfaxford)
    Be aware of the extra costs you might face: Higher shipping, Import duty, VAT etc. For other bits of electronics I've heard stories where the duty etc. has cost as much as the items being bought.

Support might also be an issue if it goes wrong, some components might also have different limitations (wireless cards often have area specific models so you might find some wireless channels in the UK you cant use).

If you're visiting or know someone that can transport it for you it could be a good way of buying something a bit cheaper.
    Wow, i never thought about any of this tbh. Thanks so much for telling me. I think i will give it a miss lol

ReputationRep:
    Import duty is the big one

ReputationRep:
    Also you would have to buy a new charger as it will come will a US plug.

Or always use an adaptor, though that would annoy me.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.