Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fnm)
    Stereotype...some girls take everything way too seriously?

Tbh men are being defensive because you're telling us how to act, when you don't really have a clue or have the authority to do so; who are you? If I made a thread on the male mind I'm sure women would post on it and argue. Besides, this is a forum, isn't discussion the whole point?

You're presenting a bunch of stereotypes as 'the female mind unveiled', now that's totally illogical in itself-especially so on a forum of mainly students of different ages.
    There's such a thing as being defensive and there's such a thing as being overly defensive (to the point of insults as is the case in this thread).

I haven't told men how to act in this thread. Also note the "quotes" when I wrote "the female mind".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HFerguson)
    Sometimes women are so frustrating, it makes me wish I was gay! lol
    I went to a gay club a few weeks back because all my friends were going and it was "straight night". All the guys I chatted with would ask "are you gay?" i.e. "am I wasting my time talking to you?" or even more-so "are you potentially down to ****?" . Straight to the point, concise, pragmatic. I didn't feel offended, and I didn't even feel guilty when I told them that I was straight i.e. not interested. If only it were so simple with women :rolleyes:
    ... therefore women are psychopathic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dragonfly07)
    Here's some advice.

You're so stupid that, whichever side of an argument you take, you're going to make it look ridiculous. So next time you decide to have an argument with anyone, just pretend to be on their side and that will immediately make them want to change their minds and take the opposite side.

Thank me later.
    Lol, what makes you think I'm stupid, is it because I disagreed with you? I think I've responded to your points in a mature manner, it is you who has resulted to ad hominems and stupid image macros.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kerny)
    If anything, surely her post is anti-feminist?

Instead of being honest about things and wishing for mutual understanding, all that OP seems to advocate is tiring mind games, a lack of communication, and using sex to get what she wants.
    The OP didn't imply any of those things at all, at least, those weren't the ideas that I inferred from what she had written - if anything, the opposite. Mind games, using sex as currency, and lack of communication are toxic!

(Original post by sugar-n-spice)
    It wasn't really feminist as such, since a typical nutjob feminist would deny any of these quirks are real and say women act exactly like men.
    no, a 3rd wave femi-nazi would deny those "quirks" and say women act exactly like men. The problem with the terms "feminism" and "feminist" today is that they have come to mean a spectrum of different beliefs.

(Original post by Eljamaispa)
    women have more to lose

Just so you know, women do have more to lose from sex. If a woman gets pregnant from a low quality man, she has to wait nine months before she can even start to get some good genes in her.
    damn it feels good to be a man (with good genes)
    (I am being somewhat satirical, but not entirely joking - come at me negs)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kerny)
    If anything, surely her post is anti-feminist?

Instead of being honest about things and wishing for mutual understanding, all that OP seems to advocate is tiring mind games, a lack of communication, and using sex to get what she wants.
    I don't think she's advocating this behaviour, though. (Correct me if I'm wrong, OP.) There's quite a bit of generalising in the post, but I didn't get the impression she agrees with this attitude. I think she should probably put some sort of disclaimer up, as many people referring to women as a generic entity rather than individuals that act differently just encourages misogynists.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Question: do you genuinely think that women can get away with any stupid behaviour simply because they have a fanny? And if so, then in what way?
    Yes. It's all to do with her sexual power, which allows her to avoid a lot of scrutiny.

Theoretical example: You will seldom see a grown man who will throw a hissy fit because his GF turned up ten minutes late to a date or whatever, only for the girl to comfort the man like an infant and tell him how dreadfully sorry she is. Girls generally don't take crap like that. It is more often the guy who makes these kinds of apologies, whether he is in the wrong or not.

Concrete example: I once saw a youtube video about a show called "What Would You Do?", where actors act out unsettling/illegal/etc situations (e.g. a bunch of hoodlums trashing a car) in public places. The idea of the show is to see how members of the public react - e.g. do they call the police, or just walk past as if nothing is happening?
    On one episode they featured a man and a woman in a public place, with each partner taking it in turns to act abusive to the other. When the woman was abusive (shouting foul language, slapping/pushing the man around, etc) people just walked past and did nothing. Even an off-duty policeman just ignored it! But when the man was the aggressor (again, foul language, pushing the woman around etc) within moments people were defending the woman.

ReputationRep:
    This thread is incredibly arrogant. Speaking on behalf of the entire female population telling you guys how to be. It speaks volumes you feel you're qualified to do that.

The fact guys are being defensive is probably because every single one of the points end in male blame. Men being perverts, men not being good enough partners, men not being good in bed, you're probably a weirdo. None of them end in female defects, "girls are just like because they aren't perfect." all of them have reason which end in it being a man at fault. Why can't you attempt to correct your own faults instead of looking to someone else to blame.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kerny)
    Yes. It's all to do with her sexual power, which allows her to avoid a lot of scrutiny.

Theoretical example: You will seldom see a grown man who will throw a hissy fit because his GF turned up ten minutes late to a date or whatever, only for the girl to comfort the man like an infant and tell him how dreadfully sorry she is. Girls generally don't take crap like that. It is more often the guy who makes these kinds of apologies, whether he is in the wrong or not.

Concrete example: I once saw a youtube video about a show called "What Would You Do?", where actors act out unsettling/illegal/etc situations (e.g. a bunch of hoodlums trashing a car) in public places. The idea of the show is to see how members of the public react - e.g. do they call the police, or just walk past as if nothing is happening?
    On one episode they featured a man and a woman in a public place, with each partner taking it in turns to act abusive to the other. When the woman was abusive (shouting foul language, slapping/pushing the man around, etc) people just walked past and did nothing. Even an off-duty policeman just ignored it! But when the man was the aggressor (again, foul language, pushing the woman around etc) within moments people were defending the woman.
    +1, completely agree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arnob204)
    'This is one of the main reasons why I don't particularly enjoy the company of women. Why exactly should I be expected to figure things out and waste my valuable time deciphering a whinging little crybaby's petulant ambiguous remarks? I tell people exactly what I think (unless it'll cause distress) and expect others to do the same.'
    ^This is actually so true though, if someone has a problem about something why would they then complicate the matter further by refusing to say what the issue is? It's stupid because then the guy will get frustrated as he doesn't know what he's done wrong, and it will make everything worse. Instead of playing *****y little mind games some girls really need to learn to just explain what upset them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sheldor)
    I think she should probably put some sort of disclaimer up, as many people referring to women as a generic entity rather than individuals that act differently just encourages misogynists.
    Well we could deny human nature if you like, but generalisations serve a purpose and aren't A Priori false, as so many of TSR seem to claim.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kerny)

This is the part that I had a problem with. Essentially, if you're saying that women can get away with more simply because they have vaginas then aren't you essentially saying that men take crap from women because they only want them for sex?

I think this is a separate topic because it has more to do with the differing abilities of men and women to defend themselves against assault.

ReputationRep:
    Consequently, the default position for interested men in her head is in the "pervert" category.
    Thank god I'm gay

ReputationRep:
    Also, my experience is that the women who act like every man wants to bone her and consequently carries around this airey disdain are in fact some of the least attractive women.

The hottest women I know tend to be the ones who are attractive and intelligent and fun, and they don't seem to have these weird hang ups to which you refer. They're comfortable with themselves, they usually have male friends and they don't feel the need to be the centre of attention, real or imagined.

Admittedly, they're pretty rare, but this isn't a female thing per se; more an astounding sense of entitlement from many women in the 21st century that is the product of social factors

This is the part that I had a problem with. Essentially, if you're saying that women can get away with more simply because they have vaginas then aren't you essentially saying that men take crap from women because they only want them for sex?
    I'd say that myself. Women have a monopoly on vaginas, ergo heterosexual men have to put up with crap to get laid (unless they find one of those rare creatures to whom I referred in the post above). The differing sex drive is the basis for this inequality of treatment (in all senses)

ReputationRep:
    How so?
    Only one sect of the feminist community advocate that women are exactly the same as men, or at least would act and should be treated exactly the same as men if X, Y and Z would change.

A 'feminist' is a person who supports that women's rights should be politically, socially and economically the same as men's. The suffragettes were feminists. Did they advocate that women were the same as men? No, they felt women should have the same voting rights.

(Original post by miser)
    I wouldn't say it was only down to psychology, but I believe psychology plays the larger role of the two. Sexual attraction is a very strong force in people; it's difficult to see people resisting their urges simply because they think it's wrong, and equally unlikely that societal condemnation will do anything to affect the strength of those urges.
    I feel it's a more of a causal relationship. An individual's psychological state is largely down to external influences such as the values and attitudes that they were exposed to as they grew up and the standard's of society that are inescapable unless one is a hermit. Our upbringing is even affected by society's standards.

There are oodles of closet homosexuals precisely because of societal condemnation. Society also looks down on promiscuous women, often labeling them as 'tarts', 'sluts' and 'whores'. This leads to many women feeling the need to keep a lid on their sexual urges so that they can't be painted with the same brush. So I disagree with your second point.

On a rational level we may reach a point at which women will feel totally at ease to consensually sleep with whomever they want without guilt, but I doubt we'll ever reach a point where the majority of women would actually experience the want to do this (unlike men would).
    Why?

(Original post by Kerny)
    Doesn't that depend on how you look at it?

For example: a girl decides that she is not looking for anything serious and sleeps with whoever she likes and as often as she likes no strings attached. Pretty soon a girl behaving in this way would be referred to derogatorily by both men and women.

Her sex has brought the scrutiny upon her head. Yet if it was a man in my example while some women may feel negatively about his behaviour, other guys would mostly regard his actions neutrally or positively.

ReputationRep:
    It's all so very untrue.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MostUncivilised)
    Also, my experience is that the women who act like every man wants to bone her and consequently carries around this airey disdain are in fact some of the least attractive women.

The hottest women I know tend to be the ones who are attractive and intelligent and fun, and they don't seem to have these weird hang ups to which you refer. They're comfortable with themselves, they usually have male friends and they don't feel the need to be the centre of attention, real or imagined.

Admittedly, they're pretty rare, but this isn't a female thing per se; more an astounding sense of entitlement from many women in the 21st century that is the product of social factors

I'd say that myself. Women have a monopoly on vaginas, ergo heterosexual men have to put up with crap to get laid (unless they find one of those rare creatures to whom I referred in the post above). The differing sex drive is the basis for this inequality of treatment (in all senses)
    +1 because you get the general gist although it isn't exactly accurate. I think women have the same sex drive as men, but they find it more difficult to fulfill it. For that reason they give up on sex more than men do, which makes them less "perverted" than men.

Some guys here actually took that to mean that I say most men are bad in bed. I mean seriously how low does your self esteem have to be to actually think I meant that? It is PHYSICALLY almost impossible for a man to make a woman orgasm. Men finish in less than 3 minutes, women finish in 20. It takes a god to satisfy a woman in bed.

TL;DR: Women like playing games :laugh:

ReputationRep:
      3) Girls don't like sex.

Explanation: girls do like sex. The problem is, sex usually ends with the man getting pleasure but the woman not getting as much pleasure as she could potentially get (because men can orgasm in less than 3 minutes and women take about 20 on average).

Result: women figure out that, if they don't enjoy sex most of the time, they may as well use sex as a means to get what they want (hence withholding sex as punishment or giving sex as a reward).
      I don't think that's true actually. If it was, then I could pay a sex worker 10 euros and be done in 5 minutes rather than having to pay 40 euros for 25 minutes.

ReputationRep:
      Some guys here actually took that to mean that I say most men are bad in bed. I mean seriously how low does your self esteem have to be to actually think I meant that?
      Ad hominem again.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Eljamaispa)
      I feel it's a more of a causal relationship. An individual's psychological state is largely down to external influences such as the values and attitudes that they were exposed to as they grew up and the standard's of society that are inescapable unless one is a hermit. Our upbringing is even affected by society's standards.
      That's extremely debatable. Although societal influences play a significant role, the innate differences in psychology also play a large part.

Do you subscribe to the view that gender is a social construct?

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 9, 2013
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.