Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    That's nice but can you make a more useful thread called "The lesbian mind unveiled" cuz I've been trying to crack em for years now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by willbee)
    I'd disagree with this point. Everyone thinks they're a nice person and everyone has someone who disagrees with that idea. I think there are a lot of nice guys who are ignored by women, but in general, they are ignored by most guys too. "Nice guys" in my experience are people who are friendly and kind and maybe smart or witty as well, but don't have much to offer beyond that. They can tell you that they're not a **** and they're not a bully and they don't do this or they don't do that. They can give a huge list of things they don't do but not a very long list of what they can do.

There's a reason a lot of "nice guys" take up an instrument, because then they become a "musician", and that's interesting. That's a skill to take notice of. That takes dedication, which is something a lot of "nice guys" lack.

I agree with the article about nice guys being insecure. I think they're so insecure they stop themselves even trying to achieve any sort of self-improvement. Most people are good people, it's the skills that you have that make you stand out from the crowd and if all you've got going for you is that you're "nice" then is it any wonder that nobody wants to be with you when they can find someone who is nice AND plays guitar, or is nice AND cooks like a chef, or is nice AND can teach you to mix cocktails / do first aid / make origami cranes, etc. etc.
    Exactly. Girls want Someone who is interesting, not some boring,average,mundane(repetitiv e lol) person they want someone who stands out in some way be that he's really smart or good at music or even that he's odd in some way.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jreid1994)
    Exactly. Girls want Someone who is interesting, not some boring,average,mundane(repetitiv e lol) person they want someone who stands out in some way be that he's really smart or good at music or even that he's odd in some way.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Everyone meets someone they find interesting. That person may actually be the person you consider boring, average and mundane. This is why the OP's post is wrong on many levels as each individual is different.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sheldor)
    Where has anyone mentioned ANYTHING feminist here before your post?
    Being pro-women (as in, not hating them) is hardly a bad thing, and that's the only thing she's done. Do you prefer misogyny or am I missing something?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I always thought feminists considered themselves to be the superior gender. Dragonfly seems to make a lot of posts about how females are superior and how they are entitled to this, how they are great at this and how men do this and how men are perverts etc. If she had her own way, women would rule the world and men would be enslaved. That's the impression I get off her.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michaelj)
    Everyone meets someone they find interesting. That person may actually be the person you consider boring, average and mundane. This is why the OP's post is wrong on many levels as each individual is different.
    Yes which is exactly my point everyone is unique

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I always thought feminists considered themselves to be the superior gender. Dragonfly seems to make a lot of posts about how females are superior and how they are entitled to this, how they are great at this and how men do this and how men are perverts etc. If she had her own way, women would rule the world and men would be enslaved. That's the impression I get off her.
    Feminists don't think they're superior....
    I don't know where you got that from. How do you leap from 'wanting equal rights' to 'being superior'?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Feminists don't think they're superior....
    I don't know where you got that from. How do you leap from 'wanting equal rights' to 'being superior'?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Do women not have equal rights or something? There's many articles on the internet of feminists attacking men who wanted rights and more articles that show how femnists consider women to be superior.

ReputationRep:
    Do women not have equal rights or something? There's many articles on the internet of feminists attacking men who wanted rights and more articles that show how femnists consider women to be superior.
    Not around the world, no. Look at Saudi Arabia.

But they don't speak for the majority of feminists. You wouldn't use black supremacists as evidence that those against institutional racism think their race is superior, would you?

You get extreme branches of all movements. You shouldn't judge the majority on the minority.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Not around the world, no. Look at Saudi Arabia.

But they don't speak for the majority of feminists. You wouldn't use black supremacists as evidence that those against institutional racism think their race is superior, would you?

You get extreme branches of all movements. You shouldn't judge the majority on the minority.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    There's no chance in hell you're going to get equal rights anywhere in the middle east. You can campaign all you like, it'll be pointless. This isn't just for women, btw, whilst they have it considerbly worst, it's not exactly heaven for 80% of men.

I think feminism is really bad in the western world. What are you going to campaign for? (because let's be honest, your rights and your countries rights go way before the people of the middle east.)

May I ask why are feminists campaigning for rights and such for the western world? Do women actually have it bad here or something?

ReputationRep:
    In no way do feminists consider themselves the superior sex. The point of feminism is to fight for women's rights and to make them equal to men's rights. It's about breaking gender stereotypes and trying to change women's experiences.

ReputationRep:
    There's no chance in hell you're going to get equal rights anywhere in the middle east. You can campaign all you like, it'll be pointless. This isn't just for women, btw, whilst they have it considerbly worst, it's not exactly heaven for 80% of men.

I think feminism is really bad in the western world. What are you going to campaign for? (because let's be honest, your rights and your countries rights go way before the people of the middle east.)

May I ask why are feminists campaigning for rights and such for the western world? Do women actually have it bad here or something?
    Women still earn less than men, women still find it harder to get better paid jobs. If childcare funding is cut then a lot of women can't work if they need to look after their children.

It's also about changing gender stereotypes- I get mocked daily for choosing physics because I'm a girl and 'girls aren't good at science and maths'. Magazines present a false version of women and some feminists protest against that.

Feminism has moved on from men bashing and is more about changing things for women and making their lives better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PapercutMagnet)
    In no way do feminists consider themselves the superior sex. The point of feminism is to fight for women's rights and to make them equal to men's rights. It's about breaking gender stereotypes and trying to change women's experiences.
    You mean like women who portray themselves in short skirts, revealing tops and tons of make up? And they wonder why people are mean to them? I'm sorry, but I see no problem here, the problem lies with individuals.

Women still earn less than men, women still find it harder to get better paid jobs. If childcare funding is cut then a lot of women can't work if they need to look after their children.

It's also about changing gender stereotypes- I get mocked daily for choosing physics because I'm a girl and 'girls aren't good at science and maths'. Magazines present a false version of women and some feminists protest against that.

Feminism has moved on from men bashing and is more about changing things for women and making their lives better.
    Women earn less than men? B/S! Show me a source! In my job I've just started, women who I work with earn more than me (because of more qualifications and experience and such) and women I started with earn the same. In fact, it's illegal to discriminate people. If women want to earn as much as men then they should have the qualifications, they shouldn't be given it on a plate because of their gender. (which funny enough happens anyway, banging your boss and boom promotion isn't exactly an urban myth).

Ok, fair enough. You get mocked. But is it friendly banter or general bullying? Because men get the same treatment as well. In regards to jobs, think of jobs that men generally don't do (say mid-wife nursing or working in a tanning shop) and imagine the stick they'd get for that.

Your lives aren't exactly "bad", are they? Like I explained earlier it's illegal to discriminate and pay less because of gender, race, etc. You also see women in high jobs such as government and stuff. Men WILL insult women who portray themselves in an odd way, same as men or women will insult men who portray themselves in a odd way. This has nothing to do with equal rights.

ReputationRep:

I don't really want to have an off topic debate right now.

But basically, feminists don't think they're superior to men, you can start a poll on it if you want.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doggyfizzel)
    The point isn't that men don't come quicker than girls. It know the concept is probably mind boggling but perhaps you simply have a staggered start? Focus on the girl to begin with, give her a bit of attention beforehand? Then you don't need to last 20mins, perhaps only 5 or 10.
    Tell that to the guys who are failing to satisfy women sexually. It's wasted on me.

ReputationRep:
    Women still earn less than men, women still find it harder to get better paid jobs.
    HAHAHAHAHAHHA WHAT?

Women earn exactly the same as men. Some earn less because they don't have the confidence to demand more. Men do it all the time. Its not only that, women CHOOSE lesser paying jobs. Its not our fault if you choose to be a nurse or a social worker rather than an engineer or architect. Tradesmen can charge up to £100 an hour just for call outs - tell me how many female plumbers have you ever seen? How many builders? Oh no but theres plenty of minimum wage cleaners about.

If childcare funding is cut then a lot of women can't work if they need to look after their children.
    Dear lord i hope you are a troll. Why don't men get a childcare allowance? He's forced to pay for his child is hes separated from the mother. Its bull****. If women have every right to abort a child and motherhood without the fathers consent, then why the hell shouldn't men be allowed to abort fatherhood?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dragonfly07)
    Edit: Guys if you want me to reply to you then you have to actually reply to me in the body of your text and not in the quotes. I don't want to (and I will not) go to the effort of copying and pasting your responses.

Edit number 2: People seem to be taking this thread to mean that this is the supposed moral behaviour. Morality is subjective. What I'm writing is simply what I think are reasonable explanations for stereotypical occurrences. Whether you think they're moral or not is up to you. If you let natural occurrences dictate morality then you're an idiot.
    ________________________________ _________

So I found out there are so many threads on TSR trying to figure out the "mysterious female mind", I thought I'd make a thread to try to explain it from my perspective. I found some stereotypes and gave explanations for them. If you can think of any other stereotype, post it in the thread and I'll attempt to address it with an explanation.

1) Women are likely to reject you if you seem interested, but they would be intrigued by you if you don't show any interest in them.

Explanation: A woman usually starts off being flattered by men's advances the first time it happened to her. Over time, a statistical pattern starts to form in which the number of perverted men who only wanted her for sex > genuine men. Consequently, the default position for interested men in her head is in the "pervert" category.

As a result, men who don't seem interested in her would automatically stand out and will appear to be better prospective partners because they obviously aren't sex crazed or weird if they're not actively going after her or even paying her attention.

2) Girls don't know what they want.

Explanation: girls know that they want to avoid giving instructions. They will beat around the bush and give you clues so that you can figure it out yourself, because THAT is what girls want. They want you to be telepathic. Literally. The reason: they want to feel like their partner knows them well enough to figure out what they want without having to tell them what it is specifically.

3) Girls don't like sex.

Explanation: girls do like sex. The problem is, sex usually ends with the man getting pleasure but the woman not getting as much pleasure as she could potentially get (because men can orgasm in less than 3 minutes and women take about 20 on average).

Result: women figure out that, if they don't enjoy sex most of the time, they may as well use sex as a means to get what they want (hence withholding sex as punishment or giving sex as a reward).

4) Girls go for *******s

Explanations: girls don't go for *******s. The guys who consider themselves "nice" and every other potential guy an "*******" are actually the *******s themselves, and the "*******s" who are reading this will understand what I mean.

If you think you're a nice guy and you aren't sure why you keep getting rejected, then take the time to read this article and see if the description fits you: http://www.heartless-*****es.com/ran...niceguys.shtml

_ _ _
    Post as many stereotypes as you want in the thread. I'll answer them if I think they're correct and ignore them if I think they're fabricated and/or stupid.

While I agree with some of what you say, I don't agree with everything of course. Here's my take on things

1) Women are likely to reject you if you seem interested, but they would be intrigued by you if you don't show any interest in them.[
    I've never really found that women are likely to reject you if you seem interested. It's just that being TOO interested, such as showing overly needy behaviours or jealousy, are unattractive.

2) Girls don't know what they want
    Throwback to the days when women weren't "allowed" to really make certain decisions. They now have the power to do so, but they haven't caught up themselves to actually make these decisions. Also, society seems to put a bit of a stigma on women who do so - this is considered a "masculine" trait, and the last thing most women want to do is appear masculine.

3) Girls don't like sex.
    Girls don't like sex.

They LOVE sex

The reason why it *seems* that they don't is twofold

1. Massive social stigma not to be "slutty", and that women should "only" have sex inside of a loving committed relationship
    2. More demand means that it's a better choice for them to keep their options open and only give out sex when the guy meets certain preconditions.

4) Girls go for *******s
    Sometimes they do, sometimes they don;t. However, these guys have confidence and experience with dealing with girls, unlike nice guys. Contrary to your (and many other persons) beliefs, nice guys aren't *******s: they simply lack the skills, knowledge and confidence to successfully charm women, so they use their "niceness" which doesn't work and leaves them frustrated.

Of course, you can be a nice guy and be attractive as well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dgeorge)
    While I agree with some of what you say, I don't agree with everything of course. Here's my take on things

I've never really found that women are likely to reject you if you seem interested. It's just that being TOO interested, such as showing overly needy behaviours or jealousy, are unattractive.

Throwback to the days when women weren't "allowed" to really make certain decisions. They now have the power to do so, but they haven't caught up themselves to actually make these decisions. Also, society seems to put a bit of a stigma on women who do so - this is considered a "masculine" trait, and the last thing most women want to do is appear masculine.

Girls don't like sex.

They LOVE sex

The reason why it *seems* that they don't is twofold

1. Massive social stigma not to be "slutty", and that women should "only" have sex inside of a loving committed relationship
    2. More demand means that it's a better choice for them to keep their options open and only give out sex when the guy meets certain preconditions.

Sometimes they do, sometimes they don;t. However, these guys have confidence and experience with dealing with girls, unlike nice guys. Contrary to your (and many other persons) beliefs, nice guys aren't *******s: they simply lack the skills, knowledge and confidence to successfully charm women, so they use their "niceness" which doesn't work and leaves them frustrated.

Of course, you can be a nice guy and be attractive as well
    Hit the nail on the head for point 1: yes because it makes you seem desperate.

2: they don't hit on you because they don't need to.(see point 4)

3:Girls really do, the reason they appear to not to is because, 1 if they don't orgasm they don't want to initiate it as much and 2 because of the fact it appears (sl****)

4 they do go for that type of guy because it 1 appears alpha 2 them guys know how to and 3 they seem more interesting. They go for the douches because they seem interesting. Them guys just stand out, that's why. The game has changed but once you learn the rules properly its so easy trust me game mentality works because the average "nice guy" is much more scared of rejection than a guy who don't care, it makes me laugh.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Take a look at statistics for rape and domestic abuse. Yes, men are also raped and abused but the vast majority are women and the conviction rates, particularly for rape, are shockingly low.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by riotgrrl)
    Take a look at statistics for rape and domestic abuse. Yes, men are also raped and abused but the vast majority are women and the conviction rates, particularly for rape, are shockingly low.
    How do you know that actually as far as I'm aware domestic abuse is quite common for men to receive, men aren't as likely to report it because of the fact that society tends to belittle them

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jreid1994)
    How do you know that actually as far as I'm aware domestic abuse is quite common for men to receive, men aren't as likely to report it because of the fact that society tends to belittle them

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's obviously a difficult thing to quantify and I'm not saying that men don't also suffer abuse, but statistics do suggest the majority of those who are worst abused are women:

"Women are the overwhelming majority of the most heavily abused group. Among people subject to four or more incident of domestic violence from the perpetrator of the worst incident (since age 16) 89 per cent were women". (British Crime Survey, Walby & Allen, 2004)
    You can also see this list of statistics from the ManKind website, which is a group who support male domestic victims of violence, which says that about a third of victims of domestic violence are men:

http://www.mankind.org.uk/pdfs/21KeyFacts_Jul2012.pdf

I think one of the mistaken assumptions people make about feminists is that they don't care about inequalities that men suffer, whereas issues of equality on behalf of men such as parental rights, paternity leave, etc. do matter to a lot of feminists. It's just that women suffer more inequality and that's the main focus.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 9, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.