It's been explained but just to clarify, the de broglie wavelength is:

λ=h/p \lambda = h/p

The equation for p, in relativity is:

E2=p2c2+m2c4 E^2 = p^2c^2 + m^2c^4

For a wave travelling at light speed, m = 0 and so the above equation gives:

E=pc E = pc

and so

λ=hc/E \lambda = hc/E

For a non-relativistically moving massive particle, however, you get that p = mv and so:

λ=h/mv \lambda= h/mv
Reply 21
Original post by >>MMM<<
that was the answer i was looking forward to but the problem is that my book says that a beam of moving electrons has associated de broglie wavelength (where at high speed you have to take into account relativistic effects) is approx λ≃hc/E can you please tell me what does that mean?

It's not a mistake. If a beam of electrons is moving extremely fast - at almost the speed of light, the vast majority of its energy will be due to its momentum, not its rest mass. So we can say:

E2=p2c2+m2c4p2c2 E^2 = p^2c^2 + m^2c^4 \simeq p^2c^2

and so we get

Epc E \simeq pc

As a good approximation.
Original post by 3nTr0pY

The equation for p, in relativity is:

Just saying, mm is the rest mass and usually denoted by m0m_0 because in relativity, relativistic mass mm is related to the rest mass by m=γm0m=\gamma m_0.
Reply 23
Original post by agostino981
Just saying, mm is the rest mass and usually denoted by m0m_0 because in relativity, relativistic mass mm is related to the rest mass by m=γm0m=\gamma m_0.

My relativity lecturer used to say that the usage of "relativistic mass" was a waste of time that needlessly complicated the issue. Just saying. :tongue:

(After all, for a particle and setting c = 1,

E=γm E = \gamma m

And so relativistic mass and energy are essentially the same thing. Why complicate the situation with different notions of mass? )
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by 3nTr0pY
My relativity lecturer used to say that the usage of "relativistic mass" was a waste of time that needlessly complicated the issue. Just saying. :tongue:

(After all, for a particle and setting c = 1,

E=γm E = \gamma m

And so relativistic mass and energy are essentially the same thing. Why complicate the situation with different notions of mass? )

According to string theory, mass is nothing but the result from oscillation of strings which is governed by tension and energy.

Radical theory is radical.
Reply 25
Original post by >>MMM<<
that was the answer i was looking forward to but the problem is that my book says that a beam of moving electrons has associated de broglie wavelength (where at high speed you have to take into account relativistic effects) is approx λ≃hc/E can you please tell me what does that mean?

Nope, Never heard or seen that before in my life, try google to see if you can find an explanation.
Original post by 3nTr0pY
It's not a mistake. If a beam of electrons is moving extremely fast - at almost the speed of light, the vast majority of its energy will be due to its momentum, not its rest mass. So we can say:

E2=p2c2+m2c4p2c2 E^2 = p^2c^2 + m^2c^4 \simeq p^2c^2

and so we get

Epc E \simeq pc

As a good approximation.

so to get this straight there are two situations:
1) if the particle is moving with slow speed we cant use λ=hc/E since this is only applicable to photons and in this case we only use λ=h/mv
2) if the particle is moving with very high speed we can use λ=hc/E and not λ=h/mv
(+ can you explain to me why again in a simpler way :s-smilie:)
Original post by Pangol
Look again at bbcs2k9's post above. E=hf (or E=hc/λ, they are the same equation) is for photons. If you wnat to find the deBroglie wavelength of a particle, you need to use λ=h/mv.

my book says that a beam of moving electrons has associated de broglie wavelength (where at high speed you have to take into account relativistic effects) is approx λ≃hc/E
so is it wrong?
Reply 28
Original post by >>MMM<<
my book says that a beam of moving electrons has associated de broglie wavelength (where at high speed you have to take into account relativistic effects) is approx λ≃hc/E
so is it wrong?

No. You're getting into such incredibly small lenghts that the difference is neglible at our level. This is just like small angle approximation.
Reply 29
Original post by >>MMM<<
so to get this straight there are two situations:
1) if the particle is moving with slow speed we cant use λ=hc/E since this is only applicable to photons and in this case we only use λ=h/mv
2) if the particle is moving with very high speed we can use λ=hc/E and not λ=h/mv
(+ can you explain to me why again in a simpler way :s-smilie:)

That's correct. Not sure how else to explain it. But basically, λ=hc/E is valid for a particle moving at the speed of light. But if a particle is moving very close to the speed of light, to a very good approximation p = E/c and you can still write λ=hc/E. However, if the particle is moving nowhere near the speed of light you need to use the normal expression for momentum p = mv, instead of p = E/c and so you get λ=h/mv .
Original post by 3nTr0pY
That's correct. Not sure how else to explain it. But basically, λ=hc/E is valid for a particle moving at the speed of light. But if a particle is moving very close to the speed of light, to a very good approximation p = E/c and you can still write λ=hc/E. However, if the particle is moving nowhere near the speed of light you need to use the normal expression for momentum p = mv, instead of p = E/c and so you get λ=h/mv .

Basically just apply the equation λ=hp\lambda=\frac{h}{p}, if you are a massive particle and moving in a speed comparable to light, you use the relativistic equation p=γmvp=\gamma m v. If you are nowhere near the speed of light, you use p=mvp=mv
Original post by 3nTr0pY

but we cant use λ=h/mv for particles moving close to speed of light right one can only use λ=hc/E right?
and thanks :smile:
Reply 32
At A Level, which equation to use is very simple.

λ=hc/E (or E=hc/λ, or E=hf, they are all differenct versions of the same equation) is for photons.

λ=h/mv is for matter (i.e. anything with mass).

Strictly speaking, you need to adapt λ=h/mv when v is close to c, because of relativity (and some here have described how). This will not be expected of you at A Level.
Original post by >>MMM<<
but we cant use λ=h/mv for particles moving close to speed of light right one can only use λ=hc/E right?

We use λ=hmv1v2c2\lambda=\frac{h}{mv}\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}} when a particle with mass moving in a speed comparable to the speed of light.
Reply 34
Original post by >>MMM<<

As Agostino says:

We use λ=hmv1v2c2\lambda=\frac{h}{mv}\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}} when a particle with mass moving in a speed comparable to the speed of light.

So when v = 0,

λ=hmv102c2=hmv\lambda=\frac{h}{mv}\sqrt{1-\frac{0^2}{c^2}} = \frac{h}{mv}

The expression for momentum that you're familiar with.
(edited 11 years ago)

then what about λ=hc/E is it only for photons and not also for particles moving with relativistic speeds as 3nTr0pY said?
Original post by 3nTr0pY
As Agostino says:

So when v = 0,

λ=hmv102c2=λ/mv\lambda=\frac{h}{mv}\sqrt{1-\frac{0^2}{c^2}} = \lambda/mv

but you told me we use λ=hc/E not λ=hmv102c2=λ/mv\lambda=\frac{h}{mv}\sqrt{1-\frac{0^2}{c^2}} = \lambda/mv
Original post by Pangol
At A Level, which equation to use is very simple.

λ=hc/E (or E=hc/λ, or E=hf, they are all differenct versions of the same equation) is for photons.

λ=h/mv is for matter (i.e. anything with mass).

Strictly speaking, you need to adapt λ=h/mv when v is close to c, because of relativity (and some here have described how). This will not be expected of you at A Level.

ok so once and for all λ=h/mv-------> particles but needs adjustments when close to speed of light
& λ=hc/E --------->photons in A level right?
Original post by 3nTr0pY
As Agostino says:

So when v = 0,

λ=hmv102c2=hmv\lambda=\frac{h}{mv}\sqrt{1-\frac{0^2}{c^2}} = \frac{h}{mv}

Nope. Please note that if v=0, you get λ=hm(0)\lambda=\frac{h}{m(0)}. What you have is when vcv\ll c, you have 1v2c21\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}\approx 1, thus you have p=mvp=mv, which is the equation you are familiar with, which is λ=hmv\lambda=\frac{h}{mv}.

Original post by >>MMM<<
ok so once and for all λ=h/mv-------> particles but needs adjustments when close to speed of light
& λ=hc/E --------->photons in A level right?

h=hcEh=\frac{hc}{E} is just an approximation only when a particle with mass is travelling in a speed really close to light speed, so as h=hmvh=\frac{h}{mv}, which is also an approximation when a particle with mass is really slow in comparison with light speed.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 39
Nope. Please note that if v=0, you get λ=hm(0)\lambda=\frac{h}{m(0)}. What you have is when vcv\ll c, you have 1v2c21\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}\approx 1, thus you have p=mvp=mv, which is the equation you are familiar with, which is λ=hmv\lambda=\frac{h}{mv}.

The equation was right but then I got booted off the computer so left a typo in. I mean "wavelength" not momentum.

For a particle with mass, the momentum is defined as:

p=mv1v2c2p=\frac{mv}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}

Always. When v = 0 you thus get p = mv, which is what you're used to.

For a particle without mass,

p=E/c p = E/c

Always.

These equations come from the fundamental equation

The definition of the de broglie wavelength:

λ=h/p \lambda = h/p

Is thus different for massless and non-massless particles. However, for a particle with mass moving very close to the speed of light, the actual value of its momentum is extremely close to that of a non-massless particle. So p = E/c can be used as an approximation.

Quick Reply

Latest