Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What extent of lateness would end up on reference? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I have almost finished a xmas temp job, and yesterday was the first time I was late - and only time!
    Should I be worried about this being on an employer reference?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Probably not, how late were you? Did you ring in to say you would be late?

Seeing as it was a job that didn't last very long a few latenesses/days off make more of an impact, but it was only 1 day. Instead of using a word like perfect, they might just use excellent or very good punctuality. And thats if the lateness was logged somehow, else your reference probably won't even remember if it was only by a few minutes.

ReputationRep:
    No.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldnt worry about it. You where only late the once, it wasnt as if you made a regular thing of it or anything. Especially if you had a genuine reason for being late. If you got in touch to say you would be late, then that goes in your favour.

ReputationRep:
    As long as you apologised, had a valid reason, and offered to make up the time (even if it was only ten minutes) then if anything it should towards a positive reference rather than going against you. Your overall record is what goes for you. If you've had a lot of shifts that you've been on time for, most people are forgiving of just one mistake, especially when it's not your fault (assuming it wasn't).

ReputationRep:
    Another thing is my contract originally stated 6 hours, but I was working over 40 hours sometimes

Does this make a difference?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Did you get paid for 40 hours? If yes, seems like you've benefited.

It won't make any difference to your original question.
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    It genuinely won't be on your reference.

Most references are just a 'This person did work here, they did have this job title, and they did leave at this date'. Many big companies just avoid the potential legal implications of any further comments, so if it is one that takes on xmas temps in all likelihood they would never flag you being late, once, on a reference.

Besides, it's just the one time. Not that big a deal really.

ReputationRep:
    employers are not going to leave you a bad reference nor are they allowed too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J.Dodge)
    employers are not going to leave you a bad reference nor are they allowed too.
    That isn't quite right. Employers are not permitted to give untrue or misleading references, but if an employee was dreadful then an employer may give a 'bad' reference so long as it is true. Most choose not to though - they'd rather just give dates of employment and the role performed (a certificate of service) than give any subjective opinion about how the employee performed it.

In my experience though (and relevant to OP's original question), no employer would mention one instance of lateness on a reference.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.