Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Stopping valuable items from breaking in the post. Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm recycling my mobile phone and I will be paid £50 if the company receive it in working condition. If it breaks, the value decreases to £14. I've been sent a freepost envelope to put my mobile in and send it back off, but the company left a note saying that as there's a chance the phone may break in the post, it's better to send it by special delivery.
    However, I don't want to spend around 10 quid on postage, so I was thinking of just wrapping my phone in something protective before sending it off.
    Initially I thought "bubble wrap" but the only places that sell it where I am sell them in massive rolls for about 10 quid, so I might as well just send it by special delivery!
    Is there anything else I can use that could safely protect the phone from being bashed and broken in the post?

ReputationRep:
    Ryman sell it in smaller packets- still way more than you need- but it's definitely not as much as £10 and you can use the rest some other time (sorry if this constitues as advertising). You can also get padded envelopes- do you have to use the freepost envelope?

ReputationRep:
    I would advise putting it in a cardboard box and make sure that there's something padded inside it. Bubblewrap is the best thing really, you can buy small rolls from places like WH Smith so it's worth investing in some really. The bubblewrap will stop it rattling around inside the box which will stop damage and the cardboard box will add a layer of bashability to the whole thing.

You could also try using a jiffy envelope but I wouldn't really trust it as it's only one layer of bubble wrap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hothedgehog)
    I would advise putting it in a cardboard box and make sure that there's something padded inside it. Bubblewrap is the best thing really, you can buy small rolls from places like WH Smith so it's worth investing in some really. The bubblewrap will stop it rattling around inside the box which will stop damage and the cardboard box will add a layer of bashability to the whole thing.

You could also try using a jiffy envelope but I wouldn't really trust it as it's only one layer of bubble wrap.
    The problem with carboard boxes is you pay for post both by weight anf size so it will cost more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AspiringGenius)
    Ryman sell it in smaller packets- still way more than you need- but it's definitely not as much as £10 and you can use the rest some other time (sorry if this constitues as advertising). You can also get padded envelopes- do you have to use the freepost envelope?
    Ahh ok I'll check out Ryman later today. Well the freepost envelope would be ideal considering it's free and I'm skint :ashamed2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hothedgehog)

I suppose if I could find a small jiffy envelope and then put that inside the freepost one (it's quite large) that could help right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AspiringGenius)
    The problem with carboard boxes is you pay for post both by weight anf size so it will cost more.
    Yes but it's a freepost envelope so not a problem. Also, it would still be worth paying a pound or two extra just for the box to make sure the phone didn't break thus losing about £30.

(Original post by Mesopotamian)
    I suppose if I could find a small jiffy envelope and then put that inside the freepost one (it's quite large) that could help right?
    Yes, it could help. At the end of the day, it's your phone but I would suggest buying bubble wrap. Go to a stationers and they'll have small rolls available there, or ask if any friends have some. They've bound to have a bit!

ReputationRep:
    Put it in a cardboard box and pack it well inside so it won't rattle around inside. I post lots of packages on a regular basis - I can you for certain that sent second class it will ony cost you £2.20.

ReputationRep:
    B-b-b-bubble wrappppp!

ReputationRep:
    if you cant get bubble wrap, wrap it in newspaper. im a postie and special delivery items get thrown round just as much as normal items do...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mosmof)
    if you cant get bubble wrap, wrap it in newspaper. im a postie and special delivery items get thrown round just as much as normal items do...

Metro or if you're really want Evening Standard shame only in London latter

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mosmof)
    Ahhh newspaper! Great idea thanks
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Some supermarkets use bubblewrap to transport fruit, like bananas. If you only need a small amount you might be able to ask nicely if you can have some of theirs. They may also let you have boxes - again if you ask nicely.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.