Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've seen some threads similar to this but just wanted to get some advice from my own perspective as mine's a little more complicated.
    I have 5 offers and I'm really happy about that but due to my confused predicted grades (which are equivalent to 3 As), I applied for a variety of courses. Am now in a pickle.
    Do I firm Warwick for History and Sociology, which I'm more likely to achieve and has a great reputation?
    Or do I firm Newcastle for straight History, which is a bit of a long shot but I love History, the Uni also has a good reputation.
    I'm also confused about whether a combined / joint honours degree is less well regarded than most?
    Any advice would be much appreciated!!

ReputationRep:
    What do you want to do with your History degree at the end?
    To be honest, both have a reasonably equal footing in the prestige department. You'll also learn that prestige matters little once you leave Uni. League tables are only to build the ego of already big headed 18 year olds.

Go for the one you're more likely to enjoy, it's three years of your life after all.

ReputationRep:
    I think that's what I need to decide, if I do straight History I think I'd like to carry on with education and do a postgrad of some kind. If I did the combined, I'd be more likely to try and go straight into work, maybe publishing or something but I'm not sure!
    Thanks for your help I think I'll go for Newcastle

ReputationRep:
    Always go with prestige, and international name recognition is beneficial these days too. Not that Warwick or Newcastle are know outside of the UK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jnkesd)
    Always go with prestige, and international name recognition is beneficial these days too. Not that Warwick or Newcastle are know outside of the UK.
    Aha thanks for that :L Very useful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jnkesd)
    Incredibly snobby and untrue.

Surely it would only make sense to do the degree that you prefer? Imagine if you picked Warwick simply based on its reputation and you hated Warwick and the course? You'd have ruined your university experience then!

By the sounds of things you much prefer History and going by the entry requirements at Newcastle it seems like its a good university, so I'd say Newcastle.

Best of luck though for whichever you choose!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JA1994)
    Incredibly snobby and untrue.
    I'm glad!
    I know that's what I keep worrying about, I'd really kick myself if I didn't enjoy the degree. I'm going to firm Newcastle and just work really hard to get the grades! Just keep thinking my teachers wouldn't have predicted them if they weren't achievable
    Thank you for your help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elwatson2)
    I've seen some threads similar to this but just wanted to get some advice from my own perspective as mine's a little more complicated.
    I have 5 offers and I'm really happy about that but due to my confused predicted grades (which are equivalent to 3 As), I applied for a variety of courses. Am now in a pickle.
    Do I firm Warwick for History and Sociology, which I'm more likely to achieve and has a great reputation?
    Or do I firm Newcastle for straight History, which is a bit of a long shot but I love History, the Uni also has a good reputation.
    I'm also confused about whether a combined / joint honours degree is less well regarded than most?
    Any advice would be much appreciated!!
    Go with Newcastle. You're likely to do better if you actually enjoy the course, rather than just having gone there for prestige

ReputationRep:
    Do what you enjoy most! I mean is it more important that you get a career out of it that you will enjoy or that people will look up to you?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.