Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    The only thing im worried is acids,bases and salts.

ReputationRep:
    official thread http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...2233530&page=4

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LemonFish)
    Go on the My-GCSEScience website or search for it on youtube, there will be some videos there which can help you with electrolysis
    thanks i used it now im an expert

ReputationRep:
    The test was okay today actually, the six mark question was a nice one as all the information was there. Oh and nobody in my school managed to work out the empiracal formula, I got N (1) Cu(3)? Anyone else get that? The first question was quite tricky too...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ethanethan)
    The test was okay today actually, the six mark question was a nice one as all the information was there. Oh and nobody in my school managed to work out the empiracal formula, I got N (1) Cu(3)? Anyone else get that? The first question was quite tricky too...?
    I also got N (1) C (3) :yep:

And yeah, the six mark question was awesome. I was so glad it was something like that, most of the info was there, just had to add a tad of your own knowledge!

The first question, I think, the cloudiness was due the solid compound (I can't remember the name of it) because it's a precipitate. I wrote something along those lines. What did you write?

ReputationRep:
    I got cu3n too I thought the first one was tricky too, I said a precipitate is produced but I'm not sure it's right

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What did you guys get for the second last question? The calculation one...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If memory serves correctly:

2Fe + ??? --> 2FeCl3 + ???
    how many grams of copper chloride does 11.2 grams of copper make.

• the mole of Fe (nFe) = mass / ar = 11.2 / (56) = 0.2
    • the mole of FeCl3 (nFeCl3) = nFe = 0.2
    • therefore, mass = nFeCl3 * Ar = 0.2*(56+(35.5*3)) = 32.5
    Answer... mass = 32.5 grams

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tayla)
    I got cu3n too I thought the first one was tricky too, I said a precipitate is produced but I'm not sure it's right

Posted from TSR Mobile
    On the first question, the products of the reaction were: --> H2O(aq) + NaCl(aq) + S(s)
    as Sulfur was the only element to be in solid form (as opposed to aqueous), I too assumed it was a precipitate (insoluble salt), which are generally brightly coloured.

I also got Cu3N as the empirical formula, lets hope it's right

ReputationRep:
    I got Cu3N for that one too! ^.^

Did anyone else struggle with the questions about Copper Sulfate and the crystals? If anyone could enlighten me about that section, that would be great!

Otherwise, I thought the paper was fairly easy. Hoping for low grade boundaries and high marks!

ReputationRep:
    Is there any particular part of the Copper Sulphate crystals question you want to be 'enlightened' on, or just a general overview of the process.

As far as I can remember, sulphuric acid and copper hydroxide(in excess) were mixed together, they were heated (this was either to speed it up/provide activation energy or because it's endothermic - I don't know). Next the solution was FILTERED to remove the excess copper hydroxide, after this, the solution was EVAPORATED to remove half of the water & was left to CRYSTALLISE.

the formulae for a neutralisation reaction is: (H+) + (OH-) --> h20

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IsaacIIV)
    If memory serves correctly:

2Fe + ??? --> 2FeCl3 + ???
    how many grams of copper chloride does 11.2 grams of copper make.

• the mole of Fe (nFe) = mass / ar = 11.2 / (56) = 0.2
    • the mole of FeCl3 (nFeCl3) = nFe = 0.2
    • therefore, mass = nFeCl3 * Ar = 0.2*(56+(35.5*3)) = 32.5
    Answer... mass = 32.5 grams
    Thanks for that answer. Such a relief...I got 32.5 too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IsaacIIV)
    Is there any particular part of the Copper Sulphate crystals question you want to be 'enlightened' on, or just a general overview of the process.

As far as I can remember, sulphuric acid and copper hydroxide(in excess) were mixed together, they were heated (this was either to speed it up/provide activation energy or because it's endothermic - I don't know). Next the solution was FILTERED to remove the excess copper hydroxide, after this, the solution was EVAPORATED to remove half of the water & was left to CRYSTALLISE.

the formulae for a neutralisation reaction is: (H+) + (OH-) --> h20
    I put the reversible reaction arrows in the neutralisation equation. Hope it doesn't loose me marks....but thanks yet again! You're absolutely correct with the crystals process....should get maximum marks on that

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i got that too

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.