Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

"Everyone does it, there's no point me not doing it." Watch

ReputationRep:
    What do you think of the argument that "Everyone does it, it will most likely continue and never stop, therefore, I may as well continue and enjoy myself / have life be easy."

For instance, you can apply this argument to:

Vegetarianism: "People will never stop eating meat, it doesn't matter what I do, I might as well eat meat."

Climate change: "Ultimately climate change is an inevitability, not enough people care about it, it's gone too far to be reversed in time, I may as well just continue to pollute."

Free range eggs: "They are never going to stop making battery farms so I may as well buy the cheap ones."

Note: I'm not advocating this argument, just wondering what people think since it's very common.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds a lot like tragedy of the commons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ssingh9)
    Yes

ReputationRep:
    having a clear consciousness? its always a personal choice about doing those things, standing up for whats right. (Not saying those particular things are right or wrong)

ReputationRep:
    You should act according to your principles on these issues. Be the change you wish to see in the world!

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ssingh9)
    This is what I was going to say.

Although one person may not contribute very much, if everybody did, the effect would be much greater. I am aware that there is a problem with everyone's carbon footprint for example, so I do everything that I can to ensure that my personal footprint is as low as possible. No matter what everybody else is doing, I at least know that I am doing my best.

ReputationRep:
    I'm vegetarian, because I believe in the principle if that less people eat meat the better the world is for it.

I'm highly involved in Climate change, and I try my best to not pollute / waste / go mental because I believe the world will be better for it. This one is harder than the rest, but it doesn't stop me from trying. Even small changes make a difference.

People that think the way you described are the most boring people I've ever met. Sadly that is a large proportion of people.

ReputationRep:
    i swear this is basically what kids say when their parents prevent them from doing something.

ReputationRep:
    I think it depends on the significance of the issue and your own feelings and capabilities. I buy free range eggs because I agree with the better treatment of the animals and I think they taste better. I can also afford them.

ReputationRep:
    The problem is not about this question, the problem is that many people are just not educated in these topics.

Many people don't know where their food actually comes from. Many that do don't actually care that much, they just see the way the world is supposed to be in their eyes.

Many people don't know what the effects of pollution really are. Many that do don't actually care that much, they might see it as 'well, it isn't going to bother me in my lifetime'.

It is more the lack of care and education about these issues, not the 'well everyone else does it so I will too'.

ReputationRep:
    I think this really depends on the situation, being a vegetarian means you don't contribute to the slaughter of animals and is therefore a sensible choice.

On the other hand if I wanted to vote for anyone but Labour in my constituency it would be a complete waste of time.

You could even argue that voting at all is pointless in this scenario because Labour win every time. I voted Labour last time but I don't think I'd bother voting again to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scumbaggio)
    I think this really depends on the situation, being a vegetarian means you don't contribute to the slaughter of animals and is therefore a sensible choice.

On the other hand if I wanted to vote for anyone but Labour in my constituency it would be a complete waste of time.

You could even argue that voting at all is pointless in this scenario because Labour win every time. I voted Labour last time but I don't think I'd bother voting again to be honest.
    Yep, I think this too.
    I'm actually considering doing ip-dip-do the next time next polling day. I dislike all the parties, but I guess I'd still like to 'exercise my right to vote'. The limits of democracy... :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by g_star_raw_1989)
    It is a logical fallacy jumping on the bandwagon; the popularity of an idea has no bearing on its validity.
    No, since nobody is saying the 'idea' is good or bad, just that acting contrary to the masses is futile.

ReputationRep:
    I don't eat meat because to follow other people's eating habits, I eat meat because it's so damn tasty . I'm not sure how relevant that is to your argument, but I just thought I'd point that out :p:

But I think I know what you mean, in that one person doing a small good deed is better than no one doing it.

ReputationRep:
    That is the sort of reasoning I use when I pirate film and music. :O

ReputationRep:
    There are loads of things I don't agree with, like how livestock are treated, but I'm not a vegetarian because if I followed all my morals to that degree, I'd probably be dead. Everyone has to accept things that they don't agree with to some extent, and I chose an extent that is convenient for me so it's easier for me to reach my personal goals. People won't make things more difficult for themselves in order to have a small effect on the world that no one else will listen to.

ReputationRep:
    "Never fear to be eccentric in opinion, for every opinion that is now accepted was once eccentric."

Pretty much sums it up really, if everyone just goes along with the majority then there's going to be no progress - simple.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all your responses

(Original post by Gavzzz)
    The problem is not about this question, the problem is that many people are just not educated in these topics.

Many people don't know where their food actually comes from. Many that do don't actually care that much, they just see the way the world is supposed to be in their eyes.

Many people don't know what the effects of pollution really are. Many that do don't actually care that much, they might see it as 'well, it isn't going to bother me in my lifetime'.

It is more the lack of care and education about these issues, not the 'well everyone else does it so I will too'.
    Don't really agree.

1) I'm not sure what you are specifically referring to with the first point. I think everyone realises that meat comes from an animal that was killed, and was in 90% of the world, killed unhumanely. In terms of "I don't want to eat sausages because they are all the rubbish bits ground into paste and the process of formulating them is disgusting", that's not moral, that's just personal preference. You're right that people don't understand the impact of meat production on the environment though.

2) Exactly, whether or not it bothers them in their lifetime is irrelevant. They are harming future generations. They understand this, even if they don't know the repercussions *during* their lifetime.

3) Disagree. I know plenty of well-cared for, educated people who have no problem with pollution or eating meat etc.

(Original post by Dragonflyy)
    There are loads of things I don't agree with, like how livestock are treated, but I'm not a vegetarian because if I followed all my morals to that degree, I'd probably be dead. Everyone has to accept things that they don't agree with to some extent, and I chose an extent that is convenient for me so it's easier for me to reach my personal goals. People won't make things more difficult for themselves in order to have a small effect on the world that no one else will listen to.
    I think this is the most accurate post, although, I disagree that you'd be *dead* if you didn't do most of these things. Not eating meat and you'd be dead? I do get what you're saying though.

(Original post by jool)
    "Never fear to be eccentric in opinion, for every opinion that is now accepted was once eccentric."

Pretty much sums it up really, if everyone just goes along with the majority then there's going to be no progress - simple.
    Yep

(Original post by acedlol)
    I'm vegetarian, because I believe in the principle if that less people eat meat the better the world is for it.

I'm highly involved in Climate change, and I try my best to not pollute / waste / go mental because I believe the world will be better for it. This one is harder than the rest, but it doesn't stop me from trying. Even small changes make a difference.

People that think the way you described are the most boring people I've ever met. Sadly that is a large proportion of people.
    You're awesome

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 23, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.