Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amyshamblesxx)
    You can do that if you want to but as you've already said, you don't get treated like that in return and end up being taken for granted. A relationship is a two way thing, not just you putting all the effort in.
    Yes but the irony is that society expects the man to do this type of thing for the women, but nothing back. So it isn't two way is it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Future African game vet)
    Today I was having a debate with a friend, She was saying it's weird for a girl to treat a man the way I do;

Whenever I have been in a relationship I like to do little things for the man I am dating. I wake up early and sneak out to the shop to cook special breakfasts for them, set up surprise evenings doing their favorite things, take them out for a walk at night to look at the stars away from the town's lights, make them gifts occasionally, send little messages every so often to try and brighten up their day - not ALL the time- that'd be weird, but regularly... however I have been told by my female friends that its not our "duty" as women to take that role.... surely it works both ways?

Personally, I have never had anyone treat me in the same way back, either they just accept it and say very little, or begin to take it for granted- but this is just what I do...

What are your opinions on this sort of thing? Is it ok for me to do this? Or would guys find it odd?
    I don't think it's weird, I like doing that sort of thing too. I agree with your friend that it's not our "duty" to do it and I don't do it because I feel obligated to. I do it because I like making people feel special, especially if they're someone I care about a lot.

It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. If that's the sort of thing you want to do, do it.

ReputationRep:
    This puts to shame English girls tbh. I hope they feel ashamed.

ReputationRep:
    You are impressive, I hope that they was more people like yourself.

Don't lose your ways and keep your head high.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doke)
    I don't think it's weird, I like doing that sort of thing too. I agree with your friend that it's not our "duty" to do it and I don't do it because I feel obligated to. I do it because I like making people feel special, especially if they're someone I care about a lot.

It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. If that's the sort of thing you want to do, do it.
    that is a great way of putting it x

ReputationRep:
    Today I was having a debate with a friend, She was saying it's weird for a girl to treat a man the way I do;

Whenever I have been in a relationship I like to do little things for the man I am dating. I wake up early and sneak out to the shop to cook special breakfasts for them, set up surprise evenings doing their favorite things, take them out for a walk at night to look at the stars away from the town's lights, make them gifts occasionally, send little messages every so often to try and brighten up their day - not ALL the time- that'd be weird, but regularly... however I have been told by my female friends that its not our "duty" as women to take that role.... surely it works both ways?

Personally, I have never had anyone treat me in the same way back, either they just accept it and say very little, or begin to take it for granted- but this is just what I do...

What are your opinions on this sort of thing? Is it ok for me to do this? Or would guys find it odd?
    I do things like this for my boyfriend too. I wouldn't say I do big things such as cool breakfast ridiculously often, but then again I am really not a morning person. But I love to leave little notes on his bed for him to see when he gets home, or buy him something silly like a scratch card or some chocolate etc.
    I just like to do it kinda in a way to show that I am thinking about him? I dunno. He doesn't really do it loads in return, but oh well, guess I have to fill in the romance! Haha

So basically, ignore your friends, maybe their boyfriends get annoyed that they don't do things like that! Ha

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lala_1234)
    I do things like this for my boyfriend too. I wouldn't say I do big things such as cool breakfast ridiculously often, but then again I am really not a morning person. But I love to leave little notes on his bed for him to see when he gets home, or buy him something silly like a scratch card or some chocolate etc.
    I just like to do it kinda in a way to show that I am thinking about him? I dunno. He doesn't really do it loads in return, but oh well, guess I have to fill in the romance! Haha

So basically, ignore your friends, maybe their boyfriends get annoyed that they don't do things like that! Ha

Posted from TSR Mobile

exactly ) little things like that are always fun hope he appreciates you- you sound very sweet x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannahchan)
    Aww that's very sweet! And of course women should be allowed to do that but the men need to step up and not take your kindness for granted. Maybe for a while you should stop and see if they return the favour.. If they don't chuck them.. Unless your just a giving sort and don't mind being walked over.
    What the way most women take men for granted you mean?

ReputationRep:
    The only bad thing about that paragraph is the fact it indicates you're already taken.
    I get how you feel though, I do things like that and haven't found a person who naturally reciprocates- it seems most people just don't think in that way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by So Instinct)
    The only bad thing about that paragraph is the fact it indicates you're already taken.
    I get how you feel though, I do things like that and haven't found a person who nturally reciprocates- it seems most people just don't think in that way.
    actually I've been single for a year and a bit haha x

ReputationRep:
    actually I've been single for a year and a bit haha x
    :gasp:
    Don't tempt me.

ReputationRep:

I totally agree its a two way thing. Lucky guys!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:

Where have you been all my life???? :P
    Just joking..

I think its very sweet the way your treating him, hes lucky

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Enoxial)
    Where have you been all my life???? :P
    Just joking..

I think its very sweet the way your treating him, hes lucky
    haha

I don't know... I DO like doing things like this, but I feel it gets me no where. You know the saying "treat 'em mean, keep 'em keen?" - I look around and I see this being put into action by so many of my female counterparts; they barely do anything for the person they are with and expect ever such a lot in return, yet.... all the guys flock to them and seem to adore them.
    I guess that might also be because they are a lot more loud and confident than me in general (Im pretty shy and coy...), but I'm beginning to think that I might just be too "nice" and as a result let people walk all over me, don't assert boundaries and just generally push people away with my out of the ordinary behavior.

• Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    haha

I don't know... I DO like doing things like this, but I feel it gets me no where. You know the saying "treat 'em mean, keep 'em keen?" - I look around and I see this being put into action by so many of my female counterparts; they barely do anything for the person they are with and expect ever such a lot in return, yet.... all the guys flock to them and seem to adore them.
    I guess that might also be because they are a lot more loud and confident than me in general (Im pretty shy and coy...), but I'm beginning to think that I might just be too "nice" and as a result let people walk all over me, don't assert boundaries and just generally push people away with my out of the ordinary behavior.

Well if I was your bf I would have appreciated it ALOT.

ReputationRep:
    Well if I was your bf I would have appreciated it ALOT.
    aw thank you But, it's just a trend I seem to be witnessing, not just with me, but others I know who are as nice as they can be... men seem to get bored :confused:
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    aw thank you But, it's just a trend I seem to be witnessing, not just with me, but others I know who are as nice as they can be... men seem to get bored :confused:
    Well its kind of human nature, if your given something without asking you will never be thankful but if you see some one else with something and you don't have it you'll want it no matter what :P

ReputationRep:
    Well its kind of human nature, if your given something without asking you will never be thankful but if you see some one else with something and you don't have it you'll want it no matter what :P
    hmmm I suppose Maybe I should only be nice on special occasions
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    hmmm I suppose Maybe I should only be nice on special occasions

Great idea
    Good luck

ReputationRep:
    I rate you for that. I hear a lot of women say "I'm not cooking for my man, why should I? He should learn to cook". I would like my man to know how to cook, if he doesn't then that's cool. I don't mind cooking, never crossed my mind to cook breakfast for a man though- may gave to take that one lol. It's the little things that matter after all, I think some of us sometimes forget .. as long as its appreciated I think it's good to do things for one and other. you will make a good wife one day.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 15, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.