Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Work should not be preached as a duty. Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Martyn*)
    Show by example by all means, but do not preach work as a duty.
    I agree mostly with your 'work to live not live to work' opinion.

But benefit sponging is still sponging.

You can chose not to work or work little if that is your desire, but as you say, income is a necessity, but scrounging and leeching isn't ethically acceptable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Martyn*)
    Show by example by all means, but do not preach work as a duty.
    I don't think people even do preach work as a duty. What they do preach as a duty is supporting yourself and your family on your own.
    I have no problem with somebody being lazy and deciding that they don't want to work, so long as they fund that laziness out of their own pocket.

ReputationRep:
    People don't see work as a duty. If someone wins the lottery and retires, people don't point at the lazy man who isn't working, wondering why he doesn't feel obligated to contribute to his country.

People do not object to people who don't work. They object to people who don't work and survive by sponging off everyone else. They object to being taxed over and over so that the government can give their money to some chav who popped out 10 kids.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddyman4)
    People don't see work as a duty. If someone wins the lottery and retires, people don't point at the lazy man who isn't working, wondering why he doesn't feel obligated to contribute to his country.

People do not object to people who don't work. They object to people who don't work and survive by sponging off everyone else. They object to being taxed over and over so that the government can give their money to some chav who popped out 10 kids.
    This right here.

ReputationRep:
    I heard someone on Question Time in the audience once say that in the post year years that the economy's function was to create full employment, now though this is not the case. I can't remember what the purpose of the economy is now according to that person but it was not creating full employment.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.